Autohome Airtop Ladder Upgrade

I recently purchased an Autohome Airtop 360 medium from Ok4wd and absolutely loving the tent, but the ladder is terrible. Can any of you offer suggestions on a replacement ladder that is a bit longer and beefier? Thanks for any recommendations!

DSC06263

outdoornate65

Adventurer
The ladders are certainly the weak point in the Autohome RTT lineup.
I had an Autohome Maggi for a bit and was always fearful of the ladder failing every time I climbed my fat ass up into the tent.

Maybe they are designed for smaller European humans but they need to offer a better option for robust Overlanders.

alia176

Explorer
You know, I was admiring my buddy's telescoping ladder with the ability to attach to the sides of a RTTs . It's made by iKamper and they made the steps rounded so that you can use bare feet to climb! They sell it on their website, under accessories. I'm hoping it's much lighter than my Xtend ladder which is too tall for this application. You'd have to make some kind of attachment dealio on the side of your RTT but that's easy, unless iKamper sells that too.

The ladders are certainly the weak point in the Autohome RTT lineup.
I had an Autohome Maggi for a bit and was always fearful of the ladder failing every time I climbed my fat ass up into the tent.

Maybe they are designed for smaller European humans but they need to offer a better option for robust Overlanders.
Pretty much my situation, although my lady is small and short and she still flexes the hell out of that little thin ladder. I can see it snapping one night and not being able to enter the tent safely. Blows my mind their ladders are this bad considering how well made their RTTs are.

You know, I was admiring my buddy's telescoping ladder with the ability to attach to the sides of a RTTs . It's made by iKamper and they made the steps rounded so that you can use bare feet to climb! They sell it on their website, under accessories. I'm hoping it's much lighter than my Xtend ladder which is too tall for this application. You'd have to make some kind of attachment dealio on the side of your RTT but that's easy, unless iKamper sells that too.
I will def take a look on iKamper site, thank you. Any ideas how you would make the attachment for the ikamper ladder to use on the Autohome tents?

alia176

Explorer
I will def take a look on iKamper site, thank you. Any ideas how you would make the attachment for the ikamper ladder to use on the Autohome tents?

I think it's pretty trivial from what I recall. I don't own an iKamper but let me see if I can ask my buddy to snap a pic. But, drilling some holes and pop rivets oughta do ya!

Scat Adams

Observer
I have a Maggiolina and my one complaint was the ladder as well. I went with the telescopic one below because it has hooks on the end so it won't fall left or right, similar to the Autohome design. It's been a huge upgrade and still fits inside the tent when its collapsed. Little heavy but it worth the weight imo.

Telescopic Ladder

Cheers,

Westy

Adventurer
Awesome thanks for that. Curious how you attached it to the Autohome tent? You have a pic?

I've never had a need to attach it. It leans up perfect against the aluminum frame on the tent and adjacent to the gutter clamp for the crossbar. I've thought about making a quick removable attachment such as a velcro strap or something but its never been an issue. The ladder is solid, heavy and stays in place very well.

Another bonus is that I recall previously when I had the Maggiolina style ladder, sometimes if the ground was several inches lower where the ladder sat vs truck it made for too steep of a ladder angle and or the ladder would be right up against the truck. Never a problem with the Xtend 750P ladder.

I've never had a need to attach it. It leans up perfect against the aluminum frame on the tent and adjacent to the gutter clamp for the crossbar. I've thought about making a quick removable attachment such as a velcro strap or something but its never been an issue. The ladder is solid, heavy and stays in place very well.

Another bonus is that I recall previously when I had the Maggiolina style ladder, sometimes if the ground was several inches lower where the ladder sat vs truck it made for too steep of a ladder angle and or the ladder would be right up against the truck. Never a problem with the Xtend 750P ladder.
Thanks for your feedback that helps me to move forward with a decision to just try one out. I think Im going to go with another one I found on amazon thats slightly cheaper, but good reviews. If it stinks I can just return it and buy the one you have. I may create some kind of bungee setup to at least somewhat secure the ladder to my roof rack while in use. Here is the other ladder I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFB6X5...colid=76S7OPC3E3JQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior