Autohome Airtop 2 Year Review

fubuki

Observer
As the title says, this is my 2 year review of the Autohome Airtop.

Here it is on top of my Land Cruiser
KwMik.jpg

Prior to this tent I had an ARB Simpson III, which I very much liked, but hated the amount of time needed to set it up and put it away. After deciding to get an Autohome it was tough decision on which to get. I looked at the Columbus and the regular Mag along with the Airtop and eventually decided to take a chance on the Airtop. I got quite a bit of feedback on the Columbus and the Mag, but there weren't too many Airtops around at that time, so the feedback was limited.

In the 2 years I've had this tent I think it's only been used about a half dozen times. That's quite a bit less than I had anticipated, but I plan to use it more in the future. On the plus side I love how quick it is to set up and put away. I can't imagine ever going back to the traditional RTT, unless it was mounted on a trailer. The fiberglass shell is very nice in inclement weather and it seems to retain heat better that the ARB. I've got the small and it works just fine for me and the wife. It's a bit cozier than the ARB, but that's fine. It's a compromise I'm happy with.

Now for the negative. Early on I started to get some staining on the fabric in the front of the tent.
3qC4E.jpg

zaM7w.jpg

I pm'd with Mike about it and was told the fabric was coming in contact with the aluminum top plate and I should "tuck it in" to avoid the problem. The problem is I was doing just that and I'm pretty careful about making sure the fabric is tucked in before closing. I tried a few more times to call Mike, but never got a response. I figured it was mostly cosmetic and I would just live with it, but i was a bit disappointed in the customer service I received. Again, not the end of the world and it's something I can live with. However, I've noticed other areas of the fabric that are showing premature wear that I am getting concerned about, but we'll see how that plays out.

The fabric issue happened within the first couple of months of having it, but no other real issues until recently. I was cleaning my truck this spring and getting ready for a trip when I noticed the front ratchet straps were cracking.
JC6F8m1.jpg

Also, it appears the straps are weathering pretty bad.
G1Zt2Hk.jpg

Obviously this is concerning to me. If one or both of the front straps break on the trail it would be a bad situation. I've put together a contingency plan involving eyelets and ratchet straps to deal with it if it happens. It's not ideal, but should work if it eventually happens. Now it's not the end of the world, but also it's not something I would expect to happen within 2 years on a $3000 tent. I sent an email to Autohome and got a response from Andrew saying they have replacements and he could send some out. I expressed my concern about the rivets, something in which I have no experience, and was told it was super easy to drill them out.

I expressed my frustration with having to do this on a 2 year old tent, but conceded I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Having no experience with rivets I asked about rivet sizes and whether they would be included with the replacement kit. That email was sent 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for a response.

I was attracted to Autohome because of their reputation for quality and superior customer service. I feel I've been let down on both accounts. Most of the stories I've read of long term use of the Columbus and Mag have been very positive. If I had to do it over again I probably would have went that route instead of taking the chance on the Airtop. Lesson learned.

surferdude78

Observer
Ouch! As a former owner of an Italian car it brings to mind that old acronym I learned early on after purchasing a Fiat X-1/9... Fix It Again Tony.

southpier

Expedition Leader
not the most encouraging report. even if you have spare parts, you'll need tools with you to install. seems like an additional pia for an expensive piece of kit.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Thank you for the follow up. Its always good to hear real world reviews and experiences. I agree, these RTT's are expensive and they should be bullet proof for the price.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
If that thing sits on your roof 24/7 then I don't think that it's unreasonable to have weather cracking on a rubber strap. Drill the center of the rivet and it will fall right out. Replace with a stainless screw and nut with the nut on the outside. Order spare straps while you can still get them and if and when one breaks you can swap it in the bush in moments. The discoloration.....? I would have never given it a second thought. How are the hinges, mounts, canvas, mattress, zippers, mattress and other parts doing? Does it leak?

concretejungle

Adventurer
not trying to be a butt, but i disagree. for $3,000 and a tent that is designed to sit on top of a vehicle for extended periods of time, they need a mechanism that does not dry rot. That's just my opinion.

On my james baroud RTT they use metal buckles i'm assuming for this very reason.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
fubuki

We cannot help you with the problem of dirt on your tent. Real world exposure is what it is.

We can help with replacement straps (which ARE supplied with rivets). A pop rivet tool to install the rivets will cost about $20. The straps are holding the tent closed, but we would be happy to send along another set for spares.

We do recommend that our tents be cleaned and treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant once or twice a year - this goes along way towards reducing the risk of UV damage.

Call us if you would like the set of straps sent.

Mike

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
No, ConcreteJungle, you are not being a butt, expect the best if you are spending $3000.

I kind of view the AirTop as something of a specialty tent, it allows you to use a rear ladder to get in and has air struts to lift the top shell.

If I were looking for a totally bulletproof expedition tent, I would go straight for the standard Maggiolina. The lift mechanism is super robust and positive, with the Extreme you even can put a spare tire on the roof of it and the mechanism will boost the extra weight. It uses a acme screw like a jack on your car, and when you take the lever out, it is like a key, no one is getting into your closed tent, the latches are kinda redundant. All these shelled tents have a serious design problem that you are seeing and need to be aware of. The top and bottom shells move independently and when closed can grind whatever is between them, namely the fabric cover. There is a black foam moulding in the Maggiolina's roof that looks like a seal, doesn't really seal, it's purpose is sacrificial, it protects the fabric from damage caused by the rough raw fiberglass. The byproduct of having the fabric caught between the shells is the black mark pictured above. The customer service folks at AutoHome aren't being flip by saying the fabric was pinched between the shells, it was, the black mark is a tattle tale. We all do it, I have that same mark on my old Columbus tent, and I know I never pinch my fabric.

Here is what you do to get rid of the marks if it is a concern. I like Mike's suggestion of using 303 products, their products leave a nice DWR (Durable Water Repellant) finish. On a nice warm day, open the tent and wash the exterior with their Fabric Cleaner, with some scrubbing to get rid of the black marks. Rinse, let it dry, then spray a thin misting of their Fabric Guard, and let it dry in the sun, the heat locks it in, then another misting just to cover any areas you might have missed. This brings back the DWR finish and keeps the water beading on the fabric's surface.

I think you are right to be concerned about condition of the ratcheting buckles, they keep the shells locked together. It appears to my eye that they have some sun damage, you might want to spray those with 303's Aeorspace Protectant, it conditions and has a UV protector. Finally, if you want the fiberglass to look like new, use 3M's fiberglass restorer, it is the only product that easily takes the inevitable black marks off. It also polishes the shells really nicely too, the gel coat will dull because of UV exposure. They tell you standard auto polish will work, it does, but just takes forever.

fubuki

Observer
fubuki

We cannot help you with the problem of dirt on your tent. Real world exposure is what it is.

We can help with replacement straps (which ARE supplied with rivets). A pop rivet tool to install the rivets will cost about $20. The straps are holding the tent closed, but we would be happy to send along another set for spares.

We do recommend that our tents be cleaned and treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant once or twice a year - this goes along way towards reducing the risk of UV damage.

Call us if you would like the set of straps sent.

Mike

Mike,

I appreciate that you decided to comment here, but it appears as though you failed to read my actual post. With respect to the fabric, it is not dirt. Here is an actual pm exchange between you and I from August of 2012 on the issue.

Jay

I will try to call you Thursday at the number below.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fubuki
I'm not sure there is much more I can do to tuck it in. I'm very cognizant of making sure it's as tucked in as it can be before closing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
Jay

It seems that the fabric was in contact with the aluminum top plate. Tucking it in to avoid the aluminum contact should alleviate the problem.

Please let me know if you have continuing problem with this after assuring that the fabric is stowed properly.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fubuki
Mike,

This is Jay, we spoke on the phone last week about the staining on my Airtop tent fabric. I've attached links to a few pictures of said staining.

You never called me and if remember correctly I tried calling you a few times without success. Again, as I stated above this is something I can live with.

Regarding the straps, if you read my post you'll see I emailed Autohome US and had an email exchange with someone named Andrew. I provided my name and address for replacements and it's been a month and nothing. I see a pattern of poor customer service when I was led to believe it was top notch.

My primary concern is premature failure of the straps. I don't think this should happen on a $3000 tent after 2 years. The point I was trying to get across for would-be shoppers is if I had it to do over again I would not pick the Airtop.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Sorry if your e-mail got lost in the rush of business that happens this time of year. Andrew is highly reliable -- not sure what happened. Just e-mail me your name and mailing address (put Air Top straps in the subject line), and I'll send the spare straps along directly. mike@autohomeus.com

My Air Top lives on top of my 80 Series Landcruiser - has for over 3 years. I have seen zero degradation of straps, fiberglass - or anything else. Could happen, but I have not seen it.

AutoHome is a top quality product and we warrant them for 5 years. We carry spares and a wide range of accessories. We have been in business for over 10 years selling AutoHome tents. Not exactly a 'flash in the pan'. We will sort out problems for AutoHome users.

Last edited:

fubuki

Observer
Sorry if your e-mail got lost in the rush of business that happens this time of year. Andrew is highly reliable -- not sure what happened. Just e-mail me your name and mailing address (put Air Top straps in the subject line), and I'll send the spare straps along directly. mike@autohomeus.com

My Air Top lives on top of my 80 Series Landcruiser - has for over 3 years. I have seen zero degradation of straps, fiberglass - or anything else. Could happen, but I have not seen it.

AutoHome is a top quality product and we warrant them for 5 years. We carry spares and a wide range of accessories. We have been in business for over 10 years selling AutoHome tents. Not exactly a 'flash in the pan'. We will sort out problems for AutoHome users.

Mike,

I just sent you an email. Thanks for being responsive.

fubuki

Observer
No, ConcreteJungle, you are not being a butt, expect the best if you are spending $3000.

I kind of view the AirTop as something of a specialty tent, it allows you to use a rear ladder to get in and has air struts to lift the top shell.

If I were looking for a totally bulletproof expedition tent, I would go straight for the standard Maggiolina. The lift mechanism is super robust and positive, with the Extreme you even can put a spare tire on the roof of it and the mechanism will boost the extra weight. It uses a acme screw like a jack on your car, and when you take the lever out, it is like a key, no one is getting into your closed tent, the latches are kinda redundant. All these shelled tents have a serious design problem that you are seeing and need to be aware of. The top and bottom shells move independently and when closed can grind whatever is between them, namely the fabric cover. There is a black foam moulding in the Maggiolina's roof that looks like a seal, doesn't really seal, it's purpose is sacrificial, it protects the fabric from damage caused by the rough raw fiberglass. The byproduct of having the fabric caught between the shells is the black mark pictured above. The customer service folks at AutoHome aren't being flip by saying the fabric was pinched between the shells, it was, the black mark is a tattle tale. We all do it, I have that same mark on my old Columbus tent, and I know I never pinch my fabric.

Here is what you do to get rid of the marks if it is a concern. I like Mike's suggestion of using 303 products, their products leave a nice DWR (Durable Water Repellant) finish. On a nice warm day, open the tent and wash the exterior with their Fabric Cleaner, with some scrubbing to get rid of the black marks. Rinse, let it dry, then spray a thin misting of their Fabric Guard, and let it dry in the sun, the heat locks it in, then another misting just to cover any areas you might have missed. This brings back the DWR finish and keeps the water beading on the fabric's surface.

I think you are right to be concerned about condition of the ratcheting buckles, they keep the shells locked together. It appears to my eye that they have some sun damage, you might want to spray those with 303's Aeorspace Protectant, it conditions and has a UV protector. Finally, if you want the fiberglass to look like new, use 3M's fiberglass restorer, it is the only product that easily takes the inevitable black marks off. It also polishes the shells really nicely too, the gel coat will dull because of UV exposure. They tell you standard auto polish will work, it does, but just takes forever.

Thanks for the cleaning and care tips. I've used 303 in the past for a soft top convertible and it worked great.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Not picking sides here but i know a lot of satisfied auto home customers who have purchased from Mike. He has a great reputation and so do the tents. I just decided to see if anyone has taken this great product and improved on it. I personally think i found my answer.

mrchips

Adventurer
My 2 cents, I had an Airtop and had some issues, and Mike stepped up to the plate and took care of it for me, thus I have to say I was very pleased with their customer service and would recommend them to anyone in the future.

I would also add mine is stored inside, spending that much for a tent why not make a cover for it, or store it inside when not in use so the sun does not kill it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94