Auto Trans ID

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Does your truck currently have a V4AW3 ? I was under the impression that the 3.0L was all AW372 (V4AW2/KM148 variation)... I could be mistaken.

24v trucks get the AW3

Reactions: plh

sami_voodoo

@RallyeKraft
I want tdi for its mpg torque and light weight.
Realistically, a 1/3UZ is actually lighter than a 1KZT/TE. MPG wise you'll definitely save, but it's about 25% difference as compared to the V8s. Plus the 1KZs need boost to make torque, the UZs have about 70-75% of their peak torque off idle.

Fitting a KZ would be much easier though, an inline-4 fits much easier than a V8

Bogtoy

Hopefully my act of bringing up the dead won’t upset anyone too much.
Toasty,
I need your input and frank says you can’t do submit to the constant questions on Facebook so here I am.

I have made all the required items before for a manual transmission Toyota TDI swap.
Everything was made by me, adapter, motor mounts… coolant adaptation.
I just need input on my transmission.
I have a 1994 v4aw2.
we get 33mpg out outa Toyota with a manual transmission, 33” tires and 4.10 gears I think.

Do you think the aw2 will handle 150 diesel horsepower as this is easy to produce (I can tune electronic or build my own m-TDI VE pump (I’ve done both)
My engine will be a 2.0 ALH using a BHW block and ALH head: I will have it built to run either electronic or mechanical.
Is that transmission going to need anything other than the “kickdown” cable? Will TCC function on its own?
do you happen to know what controls the cruise control on these and what input they need as that would be awesome! (I can produce a tach signal and convert with Arduino to a different output if needed)
1E0A6483-8210-439D-A40C-8E9DDF1F759B.jpeg

Toasty

Hopefully my act of bringing up the dead won’t upset anyone too much.
Toasty,
I need your input and frank says you can’t do submit to the constant questions on Facebook so here I am.

I have made all the required items before for a manual transmission Toyota TDI swap.
Everything was made by me, adapter, motor mounts… coolant adaptation.
I just need input on my transmission.
I have a 1994 v4aw2.
we get 33mpg out outa Toyota with a manual transmission, 33” tires and 4.10 gears I think.

Do you think the aw2 will handle 150 diesel horsepower as this is easy to produce (I can tune electronic or build my own m-TDI VE pump (I’ve done both)
My engine will be a 2.0 ALH using a BHW block and ALH head: I will have it built to run either electronic or mechanical.
Is that transmission going to need anything other than the “kickdown” cable? Will TCC function on its own?
do you happen to know what controls the cruise control on these and what input they need as that would be awesome! (I can produce a tach signal and convert with Arduino to a different output if needed)
View attachment 671746

That's an odd transmission for '94, was it originally for the Puerto Rican market? It'll handle the power fine, that transmission is hydraulically controlled so all it wants is TV pressure (kickdown). Cruise on yours might be another oddball but if i had to guess it is vacuum operated and it basically holds and pulls the cable like most of the Gen 2 Monteros do, It has it's own vacuum pump so no worries on the diesel end. So hook everything up and it should just work.

Bogtoy

That’s a good question on origin. It’s weird doors feel lighter than my 97 did.
It has the 3.0 with distributor.
seems to be ok other than the terrible rod knocking.
My only other concern is that I am wanting to flat tow it behind my diesel pusher and I have concerns about the transfer case. Supposedly it will be easy enough to bolt in my np242 aside from driveshafts and such.
honestly I love that the transmission is 100% hydraulic and has a reasonable OD and should have TCC as this will allow decent mileage out of it and redline isn’t terrible so I might be able to slightly adjust the TV cable to compensate for RPM (I’ve had TDI no load to 5200rpm (very intimidating when under the hood with it)
image.jpg

Bogtoy

Oh oh oh,
One more question.
I really don’t want to mess with changing transfer cases if I don’t need to.
the np242 and similar can be flat towed in neutral, do you think it will hurt the montero transfer case to flat tow it in neutral ?

Toasty

Oh oh oh,
One more question.
I really don’t want to mess with changing transfer cases if I don’t need to.
the np242 and similar can be flat towed in neutral, do you think it will hurt the montero transfer case to flat tow it in neutral ?

You'd want to take it apart and machine or grind the detent for neutral, the automatic T-cases don't have as a position. You'd be better off just having a disconnect installed on the rear shaft, they're super common these days and you're local motorhome dealer can point you in the right direction. It's cheaper than the NP swap.

Bogtoy

Yeah, The np would be a lot of work, but if it bolts right up it’s just driveshafts and I gain the lower low range and the neutral position.
the issue there is that tbe NP is so much shorter than the factory montero, and I’m putting a shorter engine in, I could technically move everything forward and put in a black box and have 7.4:1 low range… at least all that added up would make it worthwhile.
The other thing that I could do would be close to the driveshaft disconnect.
going full float and locking hubs.
I think for the initial build, I will simply build my adapter and notch the shifter rail inside the tcase.
honestly, my first vehicle was a d50 4x4, this is my third montero. Ive owned more Toyota than anything else. Not sure he this will work out, right now I need six seats and want 4x4 and kids want opening windows (sadly I bought the wrong montero as it has solid not sliders, but glad about the transmission and easier swap to NP cases)

Bogtoy

Toasty, I was just talking with (ok Facebook commenting) someone who says that the 89 FSM says that the 03-72L is allowed to be flat towed any distance in neutral….
Do you have any thoughts or opinions regarding this?

Attachments

• C76BD856-366A-433C-8F6B-82732FA65553.jpeg
    C76BD856-366A-433C-8F6B-82732FA65553.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5

Toasty

Toasty, I was just talking with (ok Facebook commenting) someone who says that the 89 FSM says that the 03-72L is allowed to be flat towed any distance in neutral….
Do you have any thoughts or opinions regarding this?

No experience other than short distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles