Auto Technica Garage's Rally raid project!

87monty

Thanks! I have put a lot of time into this project for sure. what harness did you end up with?, mine will be a 91, will have dsm link soon.
im using a gm mas with translator, should be a nice easy tune set up.
On the timing could you give me a little info on how you set it up? Like where your timing marks where on
the install. some say just use the 43 timing procedure but want to be 100%

Last edited:

TheAntiChrome

This thread is making me itch to ditch the 2.6 that I just rebuilt and go for a MM 4g64 instead... that way later I can use the N.O.S. 4g64 Timing gears I have hoarded away... gah so beautiful

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
To do it completely right you need to use a degree wheel to find TDC of the engine and then you need to use a cam degree wheel kit to find TDC on your cams and then put the belt on. Either that or just find crank TDC, line up all the timing marks as close as possible finish the belt installation procedure and then visually line up the marks on the adjustable cam gears to TDC, works either way...

Monterito88

Give more details on this new setup.
So got some gen 2 parts and did a few modifications, netted a little bit of travel
IMG384.jpg

IMG385.jpg

old stuff
IMG386.jpg

all gone
IMG387.jpg

New stuff in at full droop
IMG394.jpg

IMG399.jpg

IMG404.jpg

IMG388.jpg

and full up
IMG393.jpg

IMG398.jpg

Bigger shocks, bump stops, modified shock mount and more to come

87monty

To do it completely right you need to use a degree wheel to find TDC of the engine and then you need to use a cam degree wheel kit to find TDC on your cams and then put the belt on. Either that or just find crank TDC, line up all the timing marks as close as possible finish the belt installation procedure and then visually line up the marks on the adjustable cam gears to TDC, works either way...

Ok I will feel out both options and see what works best, I have a lot of $ in this project so I want it right all the way to turning the key!

87monty

Quick question, where did you get the info on hooking up the dsm harness to the montero ignition. Did you ad a obd port? This info seems rare because not may have done this.
Any input would be very helpful.

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
V-mount 2.0, with much bigger radiator. The smaller one was adequate but I had my doubts about it keeping up once the engine started seeing prolonged high loads.
IMG949.jpg

IMG950.jpg

IMG953.jpg

Last edited:

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
once I install it and work out any little bugs i encounter I will spill all the details, sould be soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94