Australians and snorkels???

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm here in Australia for a few days on business. I rented a car and headed off to the Blue Mountains......Loads of "Expedition" Type vehicles. Seems every fourth or fifth Toyota XYZ has a snorkel....Is there that much river fording going on over here? Or is this all just a "looks Cool" thing?

dfndr90

There are plenty of river crossings all over the country, but they are also useful for dust intake prevention.

They're not that expensive, so why not? I think the 'looks cool' thing is purely internet driven.

Hope your having a great time in Australia, even if its on business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

libarata

Expedition Leader
There are plenty of river crossings all over the country, but they are also useful for dust intake prevention.

They're not that expensive, so why not? I think the 'looks cool' thing is purely internet driven.

Hope your having a great time in Australia, even if its on business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good snorkel will have a moveable intake head, so if you are stuck in a group, you can swivel it to take in the good stuff, over dust.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Yesterday I drove out to the blue mountains. Today down the coast to Jervis Bay. FANTASTIC scenery!
And many, many neat off road vehicles. Wish we could get some of these vehicles in USA.
The dust/snorkel thing makes good sense. Thanks

dfndr90

Glad to hear your enjoying yourself! Safe travels here and on your way home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tappet

Observer
Sounds like your having a great time.
Your kind of right, sure they look cool. Should see the amount of 4WD's that have them up this neck of the woods. Have one on my Nissan D40 Navara/Frontier. There is a pose factor but the main reason is we can get lot of rain up here in short amount of time in the tropics so more of an insurance thing, just in case, rather than go out looking for deep creek or river crossings. As for the reduction in dust, that is a moot point. A well designed late model 4WD with intake between the inner and outer guard will ingest little if any more dust than the snorkel. In fact my snorkel sucks in a lot more bugs than the standard intake. Sometimes, depending on the vehicle it can be advantageous to have that cooler air being sucked in outside the engine bay, particularly in a hot climate.

motas

Adventurer
there are a lot of deep water crossings and some places which flood which require a snorkel, I will have one on my car when its done and expect to ford water deep enough to need it. But most of the vehicles I see with snorkels do not need them. I swear half the people buying new cars just tick the arb bullbar, winch and snorkel box just cause they can. Theyre everywhere on cars that never go more offroad than a paddock. Not saying everyone is like this and I know they can be useful but they just arent needed for most people.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Today was the first day it wasn't raining and I finally saw lots of Roos out in the fields. Also Lots and Lots of dead one on the side of the road! No wonder everyone has big "Bull Bars" on their trucks. And on many cars.......

bigden

there are a lot of 4wd,s that have bullbars and snorkels and winches that never leave the suburbs. but snorkels are cheap insurance if you do do water crossings
and they do improve performance as a cold air intake

Aaron Schubert

Good to hear you are enjoying this great country! As it's been mentioned, a snorkel tends to give slightly better economy and power, but they are primarily fitted due to dust and water crossings. If you ever plan on doing one, there's a good chance you will have one on a 4WD. It's cheap insurance when you think about it!

Aaron

peneumbra

Explorer
@Rbertalotto: I don't mean to alarm you, but isn't that a salt water crocodile approaching you from the lef--

Ooops. Too late...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles