Australian No.5 1/2 ton Military trailer build

Daz7

Have just purchased a No.5 Military trailer, at this point I'm still researching and deciding whether to go the RTT or teardrop type of build, decisions lol. Very happy with my purchase however.

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
Dazza, welcome to ExPo mate. You've got a fantastic piece of Aussie history there so straight up I'm going to say, work with it. Look at the examples by others when working with these things as there are some very well thought out mods as options to achieve a comfortable camper. So the RTT route for me. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

howdy dazza,looks like fun.we have gone from a rtt on a trailer too building a teardrop (3mx1.5mx1.5m)because we like the idea of having the bed set up all the time.also we where in lucky bay near Esperance in February and the photo of the kangaroo made me feel like you where near me511800

Daz7

Thanks guys, frankly after the purchase I'm a bit torn as for some reason I've grown quite attached to the trailer as is. That said after looking at a few camper builds on these it appears most have been hacked up in some way whether that is cutting up the tub to give a hinged tailgate or welding on longer drawbars to add boxes and the like to the front.
Will pop down the caravan show next week in Sydney and suss out a few things before I commit either way. Seems I have registration worked out so will get that happening next.

Daz7

Went through the Registration process with the trailer and have documented it here.

Daz7

Have started stripping the trailer down to prep the chassis so I can prep that to build upon.

Reactions: WVI

Daz7

Bolted down the floor and put up the walls, very satisfying :)IMG_0320.JPGIMG_3599.JPGIMG_7985 2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6904 2.JPG
    IMG_6904 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

Daz7

This weekend I made the frame for the Fridge box and Prepped for internal roof lining

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles