Australian Canter FG637 SWB GCM Question

MrHorsepower

Maker of STUFF
One for the Australian Canter owners...I have a 98 model FG637 SWB that I have GVM Downgraded to 4495KG from 5500kg. I am about to get a Towbar fitted and the question is regarding the low GCM even with the 5500kg GVM the plate says GCM is 6500kg.
Anyone done a GCM upgrade? and if so what is involved...Thanks in advance ..Michael

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I don't know why you GCM is 6500kg as my FG 637 has a GCM of 7500kg. Maybe differance is year model as mine is a 2000 where you say yours is 1998. With your GVM downgraded your GCM stays the same as plated. As for an upgrade you would need to talk to an engineer as it will need a blue plate.

Dan.

MrHorsepower

Maker of STUFF
I don't know why you GCM is 6500kg as my FG 637 has a GCM of 7500kg. Maybe differance is year model as mine is a 2000 where you say yours is 1998. With your GVM downgraded your GCM stays the same as plated. As for an upgrade you would need to talk to an engineer as it will need a blue plate.

Dan.
Cheers Dan, will check with the engineer that did GVM downgrade.. Just shocked me a bit especially with the GCM being so low compared to original GVM of 5500kg..

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Cheers Dan, will check with the engineer that did GVM downgrade.. Just shocked me a bit especially with the GCM being so low compared to original GVM of 5500kg..
Assuming the truck is still stock wheels, downgrade was most probably for license purpose only. It was much easier to sell trucks to councils that could be driven on a car license and not a truck license. Car license is 4950KG.

moose2367

Shouldn't be too hard to get it increased, they will just go off what others are rated to, possibly even if someone else has had an upgraded GVM/GCM they can use that info, as long as your running gear etc is the same.

My oka got increased to 6.4T/9T easily. About to put a Dana 80 in it and spoke to the engineer the other day about getting it increased again, mainly for GCM to 11T so i can be at my GVM and still tow 4.5T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier