Australian and British bloggers arrested in Iran

Wiley

Adventurer
While no one wants to see people doing what we do get into trouble, put me into the camp of "you do stupid ********, I am gonna talk and judge you". They not only F'ed ******** up for themselves, but as mentioned earlier, this type of ******** has political implications, so their irresponsibility has a much larger negative effect than just them being in a terrible prison. We cannot possible know all local laws as we travel around, but you have to be a moron if you don't look into drone regulations in Iran of all places, with the intentions of flying one.

Ex Animo

+1.

The McKenzie/Alaska seasons were interesting, but it went downhill from there. Barely finished the sponsor-advertisement (sorry, "south america") series, and that was enough for me. Lots of much more authentic, interesting travel video blogs out there.

They lost my viewership when they spent more time learning self defense and making "improvised weapons" than they did learning Spanish. I had a love/hate take on their videos to begin with so it was pretty easy to stop watching. You don't need $200K worth of Toyotas and gear to bolt as fast as psychically possible through South America.

DorB

Adventurer
While no one wants to see people doing what we do get into trouble, put me into the camp of "you do stupid ****, I am gonna talk and judge you". They not only F'ed **** up for themselves, but as mentioned earlier, this type of **** has political implications, so their irresponsibility has a much larger negative effect than just them being in a terrible prison. We cannot possible know all local laws as we travel around, but you have to be a moron if you don't look into drone regulations in Iran of all places, with the intentions of flying one.
Well put,
only problem is it’s all assumptions as why they were arrested..
As far as I read in the media links published here, the Iranians didn’t say what they did..
Only accused a “spies”, exactly when the Iranian gov is in need of bargain cards against the international press and sanctions.. and the need to free Iranians arrested by Australian gov.

Coincidently or deliberately?

T-Willy

Well put,
As far as I read in the media links published here, the Iranians didn’t say what they did..
Only accused a “spies”, exactly when the Iranian gov is in need of bargain cards against the international press and sanctions.. and the need to free Iranians arrested by Australian gov.

The Iranian government controls Iran. Whether to publicly justify or even disclose arrests or convictions is the prerogative of the Iranian government. Travelers and observers may not like that, may not like the way this was handled, and may think it's a problem, but that problem is travelers' and observers', not the Iranian government's. This is something travelers should consider about traveling there.

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

Well put,

Indeed.

And, Iran just arrested another foreigner for so-called "spying".

Boogeymen everywhere.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Tv news reports here in Australia are saying Mark and Jolie have now been released from detention in Iran and all charges are dropped.....good news for them and much sooner then I thought would be the case.
If so that is very good news. Hopefully they get their vehicle and gear back too so they can finish their trip.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Tonight’s news says the couple are back in Australia already, doubt they’ll get the vehicle back but you never know. They don’t want to comment on what happened to them as they don’t want to jeopardise the negotiations currently going on to try and get the other Aussie lady held there released....thier own release discreetly negotiated by the Australian government.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Looks like they are back in Australia indeed. I really wish I could know what really happened.

On Saturday, the Australian foreign affairs minister, Marise Payne, told reporters: “It is with some enormous relief that I announce that they have been released and returned.”

Payne said the Australian government held “very sensitive” negotiations with Iran over King and Firkin’s release and helped ensure they were treated appropriately while in detention.

“We have done that discretely, and I would note each case of an Australian detained overseas is different and requires a specific and a particular response,” she said. “For Jolie and for Mark, the ordeal they have been through is now over, they are being reunited with their loved ones.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles