Australia: The Long Way Downunda

flywgn

Explorer
...Love the bloke's directions a page or so back.... "two hours on the other side of..." "then another ten minutes to...."
My kind of directions right there!

Here! Here! We just had that experience crossing one of Nevada's Basin and Ranges.

Allen R

grimbo

Explorer
Hope you had a great stay in Oz can't wait to see any pics and hear your stories about it. Always interesting hearing a traveler from O/S talk about your local stuff

SLOwag

Adventurer
Broken Hill?

Check out Arthur Upfield if you like murder mysteries from a simpler time. His protagonist is an Aboriginal police detective.

Attachments

• IMG00253.jpg
    IMG00253.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 4

Scott Brady

Founder
Just as a funny note.

Australia is a really wonderful place and the people are probably the nicest and most relaxed of any country I have visited - but still, there are a few things that are creepy.

Here is my list of the most creepy things about Australia.

1. The Sport Ute (Austin and Charlie don't agree)
v6_ute.jpg

2. Vegimite Obsession
vegemite175.jpg

3. Australian Country Western Singers (where did that twang come from?)

I know, it is a stretch, but there are always things I find odd about the countries I visit. Given the above list, it shows how awesome Australia really is!

Oh, and what is with all the speed cameras :Wow1:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
A couple of videos of what I think about Australia....sounds like an awesome trip

RIP

And since I am in the trucking business...

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Here is my list of the most creepy things about Australia.

2. Vegimite Obsession
vegemite175.jpg

Ah Scott,
You just need to visit for a bit longer to properly understand the Vegemite obsession. I did not fully comprehend until one severely hung over morning when I was craving something salty. Out came the vegimite on on a piece of toast followed by some fresh avocado and an egg with runny yolk... :chef: Now, I eat Vegemite every now and then but can't say it's an obsession yet.

grimbo

Explorer
Don't knock vegemite, nothing better than a slice of freshly baked bread, some good old fashioned butter and a generous slathering of vegemite. Mmmmm matter as fact I've got one now

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ah Scott,
You just need to visit for a bit longer to properly understand the Vegemite obsession.

Hey Pierre,

Not all of us.............I'd rather lick tar off the road. Same taste.

Oh, and what is with all the speed cameras

Hi Scott,

Did you see any on the beach at Teewah ? They usually stick one up there on long weekends like the one you went up there on or at least a couple of constables with handheld speed guns. Often a RBT too......Random Breath Test.

Actually, just before you left, the beach at Inskip, next to where you caught the Fraser Island Ferry collapsed into the passage. You can almost see the ferries at the top of the pic. A big chunk just disappeared..............have never seen that before although I did see a bike rider go over the bars when he hit a fresh water spring on the beach when we were kids. The first time we ever drove up there as kids on a surfing trip, my mate's dad who was an old timer beach fisherman said never drive over shiny sand, and we thought "whatever" then when we got up there this bike traveling in front of us just drops and over the bars he went at 60 kph and face first into the beach. Have never seen that since either.

This pic taken on the 29th of June.

Hole169-408x264.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Actually, just before you left, the beach at Inskip, next to where you caught the Fraser Island Ferry collapsed into the passage. You can almost see the ferries at the top of the pic. A big chunk just disappeared..............have never seen that before although I did see a bike rider go over the bars when he hit a fresh water spring on the beach when we were kids. The first time we ever drove up there as kids on a surfing trip, my mate's dad who was an old timer beach fisherman said never drive over shiny sand, and we thought "whatever" then when we got up there this bike traveling in front of us just drops and over the bars he went at 60 kph and face first into the beach. Have never seen that since either.

This pic taken on the 29th of June.

Hole169-408x264.jpg

That is unbelievable. I can see how that would happen though. The amount of rain could saturate those fresh water outlets and off the go.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Another favorite Aussie vid of mine is BUSH MECHANICS.

X2. The Bush Mechanics series used to be on TV. My 2 all time favourites were when the fuel pump died so they filled the washer bottle with petrol and ran the windscreen washer hose straight into the carby bowl. As soon as the car would start to die, they would hit the washer button on the stalk for a couple of seconds........who thinks of that??

And probably when the battery went flat so they tipped the acid into a billycan and heated it up on the fire, poured it back in and fired up the engine...........who would be game enough to do that?

Every episode was full of gems like that. Highly , highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles