Australia: The Long Way Downunda

Scott Brady

Founder
Beware the Drop Bear!
251220_10150340282173275_640113274_10079447_1371219_n.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I have transitioned from the EarthCruiser to something equally different. A twin-turbo V8 diesel 200 Land Cruiser. I had it through a pretty technical trail today - all lockers kind of day. Perfect!

264614_10150340286638275_640113274_10079466_1019797_n.jpg

Bulldust

LOL, yep you've got to watch out, those drop bears are dangerous creatures, you just never know when one will drop from a tree...

Just checked your SPOT page, good to see that you had a bit of a drive through the Newnes SF, looks like you checked out Blackfellows Hands Rock. There are a myriad of great tracks and sites in that area, I've been going there for years and still haven't come close to exploring them all!

I see you also passed through my home town of Bathurst this arvo, did you get a chance to do a lap of our race track?

Good to hear you're enjoying your stay down here, and getting out to see a bit of the country side. Where are you heading to, your SPOT shows you in Cowra at the moment.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yep, just went through Bathurst. Sorry I missed you.

The Blackfellows Hand Trail was super fun, and surprisingly technical (big ledges), especially with a truck with stock-size tires. I also took another route through the National Park which had some deep mud at the bottom of the canyons and a few steep climbs. Much to see!

The pagoda rock spires are beautiful. This area of AU is so much different than what I expected -very special.

Bulldust

No worries, I would have been getting my new tyres put on ready for my trip into the Simpson Desert, when you passed through town :)

Yes, the scenery in the Blue Mountains can be quite spectacular, especially where you were today, away from the more touristy places off the main highway. The sad thing is, even though it's all so close to Sydney, most Sydney-siders wouldn't have a clue any of it existed. If you keep heading west or south-west from Cowra tomorrow the land is only going to get flatter!

That 200 series looks awesome, wasn't aware that HEMA were running them, only ever seen their Patrols about (which also look awesome!).

Cheers,
Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
So much for the Australian drought. . .
262761_10150341176373275_640113274_10088061_5923365_n.jpg

The 200 is a pig (i.e. a big, comfortable AWD country wagon), but more capable than expected. The motor is sweet. The ARB accessories and better tires saved the day.

grimbo

Explorer
Yeah we've come out of the drought in a big way, especially the east coast.

Looks like you are having a great trip, especially the toys you are getting to use.

What's next on the agenda and what other toys have you got lined up?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am on the way to Melbourne and will be pulling together a couple more trucks for the Flinders Ranges, including Skytrek. A HiLux and an LR3. We have a few more team members coming in on Monday/Tuesday (Ben, Austin and Charlie).

After the flinders, we will head out to the Strzelecki desert, camerons corner, etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
We are all going to head out for a beer tomorrow night (Monday night)

I am staying at the Rydges Bell City Hotel north of the city. We are thinking of:

Stolberg
197 Plenty Road
Preston VIC 3072, Australia
(03) 9495 1444
stolberg.com.au‎

grimbo

Explorer
Haven't been but it's convenient for you so sounds good. Let me now if you have time etc and we'll try and catch up, love to hear your stories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior