Austintaco's retroactive build thread for a 2003 Tacoma double cab

austintaco

Explorer
i don't have any built ins, and I don't think I plan to either so it's just a regular flippac on a double cab. We have curtains, but that's about it. I put the edgestar in the cab with an Ark Pak to power it, and we use action packers for all of our gear

austintaco

Explorer
I tried to find some interior photos, just in case you just wanted to gauge the amount of space you will have. I did come up with a few. This is the first night we had it. We were in a Walmart parking lot in Ruidosa. I'm sitting on the bed and my wife is standing up in the center. She's about 5'7"

This is our view from the bed looking toward the tailgate:

This is in the cab. just showing how the fridge and Ark Pak are situated. It was dumb luck that the Ark Pak fit with the cubby hole door removed

Toyotero

Explorer
I added tundra calipers at some point,

Hey AustinTaco,

Do you know which calipers you went with?
How do you like this setup?

I think I need to replace a caliper, so I'm thinking about installing Tundra discs/calipers. My only concerns are the hose fittings and clearance of my rims (16" 5 star).

Cheers,

austintaco

Explorer
I will have to check my notes, but it's the first calipers that Tundra owners were getting replaced. I followed a write up on TTORA and I had to dremel out the brake line a bit. I know, it sounds scary, but its held with no issues for several years. The brakes work great. I bet if I had to go back to the stockers, I would be shocked at the difference. Since adding the brakes, I added more weight, so stopping would be interesting with the original calipers.

Toyotero

Explorer
It sounds like you got the smaller ones, 199mm S13WE vs 231mm 13WL. Those seem to be the best bet to ensure rim clearance and still have still loads of cool braking for the Taco.

I found a thread somewhere with images of the two caliper's differences and brake line 'banjo' thing that needs to be clearanced inside to accommodate the nipple inside the Tundra brake caliper fitting. It doesn't look too challenging... I expect that I'll disconnect the whole hose and do the work carefully on a drill press with the fitting in a vice maybe.

I just ordered the parts to do it with S13WE... it turns out the annoying vibration problem I told you about wasn't tires or rims, it's likely brakes and persists even after I got the rotors turned and new pads... actually it got worse with a terrible vibration when I'm braking sometimes. Hmm, I should probably do a vehicle build thread too.

austintaco

Explorer
Yeah, I think at the time, most folks were using these because they were being replaced and easily found for cheap. I can't even remembered how I modified the banjo fitting, but it worked, and that was at least 5 years ago. Time flies.
You should do a build thread. its entertaining for us, but it give you something to look back to as well. I find the photos that I really need on my build thread usually.
BTW, we need to get together soon. My wife will sh&t when she finds out that someone else shares a toyota addiction.

Toyotero

Explorer
Ha ha, mine also. I haven't yet told her that I'm planning on winning the white FJ40 beaut later this month.. when/if it happens, she'll find out when she gets home from work and it's sitting in the driveway. I've been sworn to not buy another car, but winning technically isn't buying. ;-P

austintaco

Explorer
You are winning it too? Yeah, I had the same conversation with my wife about the "what if we win...." She said she we could keep an FJ, if it was hers. Man, I need to move out to the country and build a 5 car garage with a shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles