Aussie's have all the cool stuff!

AZCPP

Adventurer
There are so many awesome vehicles, campers, and trailers that our friends down under have access to it makes me jealous. Let alone the fact they have the "Outback" to explore. I found these camper boxes in a link that another Expo member had posted and I just can't stop checking them out. I really like the design and functionality of the "glide-on" or "tray-top" (as they call them). I see several advantage's to these unit's over the "slide-in" unit's offered here in the US. Don't get me wrong, FWC's and ATC's are great product's I just like the way these unit's are designed. I have 13 web link's for these camper's, but here are three of my favorite's. Each one has it's own appeal.

Traymate
traymate_096.jpg

Trayon
Trayon.jpg

TurtleBack
turtleback.jpg

I have a lot of time to think about thing's that I shouldn't but, I was thinking that a great expo rig would go like this...If the money tree I planted would ever start growing.
>Dodge Power Wagon (regular cab, long bed, box removed)
>6.5ft. Ute alum. flat (bob the long bed frame to just behind the spring hangers)
>A ______"Glide-On" camper box(6.5ft.)
>KORE Technical Series suspension system
>37" Toyo Open Country M/T's (to get good clearance under the diffs)
>Custom built rear bumper w/tire carrier
>Road Armor front winch bumper
Just thinking out loud!

theMec

Adventurer
I have very similar ideas w/ the exception of the cummins replacing the powerwagon gasser. You may not be happy w/ 37" tires and the hemi. Not enough power and poor mpgs.

Here's my favorite Aussie product, the Gadabout:
http://www.gadabout.com.au/index.html
I bet it's expensive though.

AZCPP

Adventurer
mestaghman said:
I have very similar ideas w/ the exception of the cummins replacing the powerwagon gasser. You may not be happy w/ 37" tires and the hemi.

I currently have a Hemi with 35" tires and 3:73 gears. Plenty of power but only 11 mpg. I think with the P.W. 4:56 gears the 37's would be ok. And yeah a Cummins would be great but you will never see it in a P.W. from Dodge.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
If there is one drawback to the slide-in models, it's the all or nothing arrangement once you're in camp. Sure, some folks keep their jacks on and can lift the camper off while in camp but it must be a hassle.

I really like the integration of the ute beds with the Aussie slide-ons. Extra storage capability with lighter weight than a regular truck bed. Plus a unique look that says, "I am adventure."

And Chuck, if you think surfing the 'net and checking these out is tough, than don't subscribe to Australian 4WD Monthly. That darn mag will have you looking for your passport and figuring out exchange rates. Speaking of which, off road goodies in OZ seem to run double and even triple over what we pay here. And you live in AZ, which is USA's outback anyway....

:beer:

AZCPP

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
And Chuck, if you think surfing the 'net and checking these out is tough, than don't subscribe to Australian 4WD Monthly. That darn mag will have you looking for your passport and figuring out exchange rates. Speaking of which, off road goodies in OZ seem to run double and even triple over what we pay here. And you live in AZ, which is USA's outback anyway....

:beer:

HEHE, I used to steal that magazine from "Outback" every time we ate there.

Did I just say that or did I think it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier