Aussie Locker?

mtbxj87

Adventurer
Now that I have a decent rear axle in my xj (8.25) . Im interested in lockers. Aussie looks easy to install, simple and cheap. has anyone used one of a extended period of time? Is it worth it?

Justincredible

Adventurer
I'm looking at the same thing.

I've heard nothing but good things about Aussie and Spartan lockers and both are made in the USA. You can find the Spartan for about $50 cheaper and I hear they're easier to install.

If you don't mind something not being made in the US, Lokka Lockers is the same company as Aussie (Aussie is the US branch and Lokka is the Australian branch, oddly enough), but a few dollars cheaper than the Spartan.

ferninaz

I do not have an XJ but I do have an Aussie Locker in my JKU. It is in the front though and it is fantastic. It has been in there for over 25000 miles and many trips off road and continues to work flawlessly.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I installed a spartan in my xj when I still had it. Very simple install, easy to drive on road and it is still in there with the guy I sold it to. Good stuff. I don't know if the Aussie is as easy to install, but it cannot be that much different.

mclovinal

I have one up front, I have heard that they change the on-pavement handling when installed in the rear. Mine is great though. Never had any issue out of it. I was able to install it myself too, which is a plus as far as lockers go. Very well designed, and improves the off-road ability of the Jeep a lot. I'd say go for it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have an Aussie in my truck rear axle, although it's not a Jeep but a Toyota pickup. Good bang for the buck but I personally kind of dislike it daily. I get a fair amount of tire scrub and axle hop on dry pavement and it gets a little wiggly on fresh rain and packed snow. I'll get a solid bang about once or twice a week where the locker has wound up and releases, usually coming into or out of a turn lane. As far as being a locker, they are great and can't say anything negative about their reliability, but they can be a little bit of a pain in daily driver.

I ran an Aussie in the front of my TJ in a HP Dana 30 swapped in from a Cherokee. I had Warn hubs so on the street is was always unlocked.

On the trail the Aussie worked great.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
I had an aussie in my 44 and it was noisy as hell but never failed. 8.25 lunch box lockers have a tendancy to es plode if you are running anything over a 32" tire.

roggom

Thanks for the link, the front D30/27 is only $198 and free shipping. Definitely on my short list for upgrades.

dallen

I ran an aussie in the rear and did not like it street manners at all. I did install a sparton in the front D30 an it was sketchy on pavement until I called the mfg and they recommended using 85w140 gear oil. Much better on the road.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I haven't put much thought into having it in the d30. I still have the CAD axle so that might work well, or just break it

dallen

The D30 CAD is a reverse cut high pinion axle, petty strong. Eliminate the vacuum disconnect and use a posi lok cable actuator and when disconnected its like the aussie isn't even there.

I installed an Aussie locker in the 8.25 of my 98XJ. It was possibly the most important mod I made to the Jeep -besides a winch. I was very surprised at how little I needed to us 4WD. In fact, I was able to do several difficult trails in Moab in 2WD! Installation was very easy. There is no need to remove the rear wheels, in fact, having them in place is advantageous when it comes time to remove the C -clips. There is no need to disassemble your brake components either -leave everything back there intact.

Here is a short list of how I installed mine:

1. Chock the front wheels and jack up the rear end just enough for the rear tires to clear the ground.
  2. Remove the diff cover and let the gear oil drain.
  3. Put the t-case in neutral so that you can spin the axle to remove the retaining bolt that holds the spider gear shaft in place.
  4. Remove the inner C- clips -it helps to have a friend push/pull the rear tire in and out while removing the clip.
  5. Slide the axle assembly out of the axle tube just enough for the axle to clear the spider gears -let it rest there.
  6. Remove the spider gear assembly in its entirety.
  7. Assemble the locker per the instructions that came with it and install it.
  8. Very gently slide the axle shafts back into place.
  9. Reinstall the C -clips -there's less space to snake them into place, but it's not awful.
  10. Clean, RTV, and install the diff cover.
  11. Place the vehicle back on level ground and add the correct amount and weight of diff fluid.
  12. Go for a drive and be surprised by how rarely you need to use 4wd.

This isn't a comprehensive list at all, be sure to clean and inspect everything before removing the spider gears. Also, have some axle grease close by to help hold things together when you are going back together with everything -a small dab will do the trick. It seems that installation of the small springs that come with the kit can be either a bear or no problem at all. I've read the experiences of others, I had no trouble with them at all.

I could ramble on and on, but the "Vermont Jeep Girl" does a great job demonstrating the install in a D35, which is virtually the same. She does it on the bench to make it easier to film, you don't need to do this.

Some things to consider:
With both wheels attempting to push the vehicle forwards, you will observe an increase in understeer on the trail. This understeer can become oversteer on we or icy pavement, especially when turning, adjust your driving habits and be aware of road conditions. Others will tell you that if you "know how to drive" it's not a problem. This simply isn't true, the Laws of Physics do not care if you know how to drive or not (of course, being a poor driver can amplify these issues). Contrary to popular belief, having both wheels spin at the same rate can reduce traction at the locked axle. For example, if you are on a slick, off camber road, expect the locked axle to favor sliding down the hill. I only mean to make you aware of some of the things you can expect from a lunchbox locker. I was very happy with mine and I'm sure you will be happy with yours. Just be aware that the driving dynamics of your Jeep will change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94