Aussie Locker?

jlocster

Explorer
I've recently been thinking about an Aussie Locker (link) for the front end. At $300, they seem like a good deal. I have manual hubs so I can disengage the front axle for street driving, so not a problem there. The only downside would be driving in the snow/ice...which I don't do very often. In that case I'd be relegated to driving in 2wd because driving in 4wd in winter conditions with an locked front end is fairly dangerous.

I bring this up because I have encountered the limitations of my front/rear open diffs while offroad already. Compared to installing an air locking rear, this might be the easier solution.

So, are the offroad benefits worth the trade off in winter driving?

Anybody else considering this option or have experience with autolockers?

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

grandpa

If you don't have a rear locker, I would do that first. You will get much more use from the rear locker. I purchased a complete factory locked rear axle for $400.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'd swap/install a locking rear diff first. Just pull the rear end & compressor from a gen 2.5 model (winter package) at your local pick and pull or buy & ship the 3rd member via parts yards on car-part.com.

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
Thanks for the input all. Yeah, guess I just need to bite the bullet and swap in a rear locker. I was kinda looking for a shortcut...that the 2000 didn't come with a factory locker kills me, oh well.

viducce

Observer
Just received this a couple of days ago from Lokka / 4WD Systems, regarding the 25 spline front differentials which cannot run ARB's air lockers....

I am contacting you because in the past you have inquired about a front LOKKA automatic differential locker for your Mitsubishi Pajero.

I have some good news!
The Lokka will be available in about 2 weeks time!

For those who have previously inquired, we are offering it at the special pre-order price of just US$289 delivered to your door. To pre-order one, simply reply to this email with the details of your vehicle, your name, address and phone number; and we will send you a PayPal request for payment.

Once available, it will return to the regular price of US$389, so get in quick.

Kind Regards
JD
Lokka Support

alan

Explorer
Just weld up the standard center gears and you will have the same results as a Lokka, they never unlock when in 4wd so save your money.

PacS14

Adventurer
If welded it will stay locked in 2WD aswell, not really useful?

That's when manual hubs come into play... as a 240sx owner I've been considering this option (welding the front differential) instead of buying a front locked differential for a lot more money. Just waiting for the time when I decide whether to keep my gears or upgrade.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just weld up the standard center gears and you will have the same results as a Lokka, they never unlock when in 4wd so save your money.

I will put this politely, this is likely the worst advice I have read on here in a few weeks, 99% of these rigs are street driven. If you don't understand the context then google is your friend.

If welded it will stay locked in 2WD aswell, not really useful?

Welded spider gears will eat up tires quicker and can be dangerous in wet or snowy conditions even in 2wd, this is even more pronounced when the front is welded. Manual hubs can help but only when in 2wd. A Lokka/Aussie only engages when in 4wd and you experience a slipping tire under throttle, soon as you regain adequate traction or let off the throttle it disengages. I have been doing this stuff for over 16 years and you couldn't pay me to run a welded axle, do it right the first time.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
A welded diff is good for when you're 17 and broke, when you're 18 and have a couple hundred you'll wish you hadn't done it. Trust me I've welded many diffs for friends and only ran one personally (front). I would never ever ever run one in the rear, that's the worst.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Aussie's and Lokka's I would run (up front), I ran a full Detroit for almost 10 years. I am going to an ARB now though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles