Aussie Locker bit the dust, new locker recommendations?

Scoutman

Explorer
I don't think you've fully diagnosed what the problem is. You say that you've cleaned out the pumpkin but with large metal flakes present that means that something is wrong. Spinning the driveshaft with no forward progress means something serious is wrong like a broken cross pin, broken ring and pinion teeth, or the locker pins and springs are broke. What did the pattern look like? What was the backlash? Were bearings and races still in good shape? Was the pinion preload still snug? Just cleaning it out and putting fresh fluid isn't going to make it run any better and replacing an aussie for a spartian locker seems needless at this point until you figure out where that metal came from. Chunks of metal floating in the gear lube get caught in bearings and between the teeth of the ring and pinion which is never good.

I wouldn't purchase another locker till you figure out what is wrong. You may need those funds to buy a new ring and pinion, bearings, install kit, locker rebuild parts, etc.

And no you do not have a 35 front. :costumed-smiley-007

Scoutman

Explorer
Been there. My guess is the pin wasn't of the hardened variety. That one little $20 oversight can really wreak havoc on an axle.

Supposedly the Spartan locker comes with one. If I ever have any rear axle problems again I think I'm going straight to a full case'd locker, probably an ARB.

IMG_20160127_184120453 (Large).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier