Aussie Locker bit the dust, new locker recommendations?

D-R0CK

Axle: Dana 44 HD
Ratio: 3.7: 1
Application: 2002 GC Laredo V8
Expedition style build (32" cooper discoverer AT3s, no front locker)

So my Aussie crapped the bed, it's clunking and banging like you would not believe, especially around tight corners that require acceleration (as you would expect) and it's generally banging on left turns, so one side must have worn teeth or springs.

And then on Sunday it quit altogether, spending a couple of seconds just spinning the driveshaft without engaging the axle shafts, what the heck?

I opened the diff all up, sprayed it out with starter fluid till it was shiny clean, cleaned the cover (including the magnet) put new fluid in and properly sealed it all up with RTV and it's still banging and popping like the Fourth of July. While I had it jacked up I also tested whether it was working differentially by just spinning one tire by hand in neutral and the diff made both spin. The old fluid did have large metal flakes.

I'm really looking for a lunchbox type drop-in locker, not an air or cable actuated system. They may be nice, but a little more complex than I'm comfortable with, and way more expensive, so I'm not considering them.

So what are the recommendations? I'm looking very seriously at the Spartan Locker - forum posts looks promising.

This has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for the Aussie... or do I just have rotten luck?

Stoked

Observer
I've never been a fan of running a lunchbox locker in the rear. I know people do it. I've had good luck with the Spartan, but the Aussie has always been good too.

D-R0CK

I've never been a fan of running a lunchbox locker in the rear. I know people do it. I've had good luck with the Spartan, but the Aussie has always been good too.

So you've had both? Do you prefer either?

I just think running it in the front which is (I think) a 35 is a bad idea.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Id go with a Spartan. They are a great locker, and offer many different applications. Also, they provide a safety for the weak point of other lunch box lockers: the springs and their keepers.

I'd recommend the Spartan as well based on my experience. I run a Spartan in the rear of my 80 Series Land Cruiser. It has held up great, no issues over many thousands of miles with a lot of that off road, plus some playing in the rocks.

For context, I'm running 33 inch mud tires on my rig. The truck on the heavy side...it's armored in the front, rear and underbelly, winch, recovery gear, fridge, etc. and additional camping gear when I am out (which is how I mainly use the truck).

Stoked

Observer

I've had a Spartan in one of my past Jeeps, in the front. That was in a full built rock crawler on 40's. Never had an Aussie, but installed plenty of both and never had any issues with either that weren't operator induced.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
My old ram charger has a lock rite. It's been in there for 10 years. The truck has 33" swampers. The last time I saw the truck it was going good.

BNJeepsta

You have a dana 30 front axle. Also, your first post says you have the d44 HD rear axle?? The d44 found in the Grand Cherokee has an aluminum center section and is anything but, HD. Also, the aluminum d44 has a different selection of lockers compared to the XJ d44. As for lunchbox lockers, I would contact Aussie first and talk to them. You may just need a rebuild kit. I've had great luck with my Aussie and with my spartan, can't really go wrong with either one. Don't be afraid to lock your front axle either, i'd be more concerned about the aluminum 44 than the 30.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
The aluminum D44 is known as both the D44a and D44hd, so he's correct on that bit. AFAIK, Aussie, ARB and maybe one other lunchbox are about the only options for lockers.

With 32s, you should have no problems with a locker in the D30 up front, provided you're not lead-footing it over rocks with significant wheel hop. Just be aware, if you have the fulltime 4wd transfer case (with no 2wd mode), you can't run a lunchbox locker up front, it has to be a selectable. If you have the part time case, a lunchbox is fine (just be aware that the "full time" mode on that case will be rendered worthless).

D-R0CK

You have a dana 30 front axle. Also, your first post says you have the d44 HD rear axle?? The d44 found in the Grand Cherokee has an aluminum center section and is anything but, HD. Also, the aluminum d44 has a different selection of lockers compared to the XJ d44. As for lunchbox lockers, I would contact Aussie first and talk to them. You may just need a rebuild kit. I've had great luck with my Aussie and with my spartan, can't really go wrong with either one. Don't be afraid to lock your front axle either, i'd be more concerned about the aluminum 44 than the 30.

I was just using Dana's own designation for the axle. 44a is not the official nomenclature.

D-R0CK

The aluminum D44 is known as both the D44a and D44hd, so he's correct on that bit. AFAIK, Aussie, ARB and maybe one other lunchbox are about the only options for lockers.

With 32s, you should have no problems with a locker in the D30 up front, provided you're not lead-footing it over rocks with significant wheel hop. Just be aware, if you have the fulltime 4wd transfer case (with no 2wd mode), you can't run a lunchbox locker up front, it has to be a selectable. If you have the part time case, a lunchbox is fine (just be aware that the "full time" mode on that case will be rendered worthless).

Yeah I have the selec-trac. I run in snow and ice often enough that one locker is already too much sometimes - especially on roundabouts. Heaven help me if I have to stop to yield and then accelerate through it... Can't imagine how two would be.

D-R0CK

I should also mention I don't know 100% if the front axle is still the d30. I think it's the D35 but I haven't talked with the PO for about a year now, so my memory may be foggy. In any case, it doesn't change the question.

BNJeepsta

I should also mention I don't know 100% if the front axle is still the d30. I think it's the D35 but I haven't talked with the PO for about a year now, so my memory may be foggy. In any case, it doesn't change the question.

The only D35 front axle came in ford rangers back in the 90's. It could be swapped with a waggy or ford d44 front axle but, I doubt anyone would go through the trouble and still leave the aluminum d44 in the rear. Have you considered a good limited slip for the rear?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If it's a bit of a handful in the snow, it definitely might be worth looking at swapping to an ARB in the rear or getting a trac-lok carrier and going limited slip. Either would be much better behaved, IMO.

For the front, if you don't want to go with a locker, there's plenty of limited slip options available.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I ran a lock right in the rear (and front) of my YJ for a number of years. I only snapped one shaft on the Rubicon in all those years and that was due to bad driving. And yes, it was a D35, which I still don't understand how/why everyone still says is so horrible. Your D44 should be fine.

They are very simple with only a few parts, and if you carry spider gears in your toolbox, you can pull it on the trail if the worst happens to at least be able to move forward. Yes, I had to do that once. I think the lock right is priced right also.

Either that or a Detroit would be best it seems for your application, but that replaces the carrier completely.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for drivability, as mentioned I hope you've got your drift skills on an automatic locker takes a bit more attention- especially in slippy conditions on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94