Aussie camping swag...

ckkone

Explorer
I know swags are popular down under, anyone here in the US use one? I could only find one online retailer who advertised them and they no longer sell them. If anyone knows a retailer in the US selling them please let me know!

Looks like a really nice way to go, just unroll and sleep:

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I love my swag. I got a Mr. Swagman and had it sent 'up above'. I will let you know if I see any, but can arrange to get one if you want as I have containers sent regularly from OZ.

Cheers,

-Ben

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Swags are awesome. I discovered them whilst down under and brought two back with me. The only down side is they are bulky. Other than that they work incredibly well.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

So to use a Swag, must I have a monstrous unibrow? Or is that Swagger?

Looks like a cool piece of kit, but personally, I like to be excluded from the path of creepy crawlies.

nrode2000

I have a Mr. Swagman Swag. I love it. I have slept in it where I have ice formed on the inside from my breathe and still been warm. No one I could find had anything in the states so I ordered direct from Oz. It is bulky but the most versatile sleep system I have ever used.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have a couple of them I brought across from Oz with me that I haven't used in 15 years. I use them with thermorests to reduce the bulk. If people are interested in having them here I should drag them out and sell them. (somehow I don't see the missus taking the nostalgic trip over a trip in the ambo with indoor plumbing)

lostagain

Observer
I have a couple of them I brought across from Oz with me that I haven't used in 15 years. I use them with thermorests to reduce the bulk. If people are interested in having them here I should drag them out and sell them. (somehow I don't see the missus taking the nostalgic trip over a trip in the ambo with indoor plumbing)

pm sent

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Drifta USA has them.... They are cheap. But look cool.

http://www.drifta.com.au/USProducts.php

Almost at the bottom of the page I linked...

That is a very fair price. I paid more than that over 20 years ago.

But think carefully about how you will be using them. They are great in Oz because we usually are traveling in tray back utes (pickups) so the extra bulk (2 inch foam) is not a problem and the water/dust resistance is needed. To fit a couple of single swags and some cooking gear in an 80 series takes up all the luggage space. They are great for motorcycle travel if you get the smaller ones and use a thermorest inside. One of mine packs to about 28" wide by 6" diameter with mattress and sleeping bag but the double on I have in Oz is about 60" wide by 28" diameter. That is some serious real estate. Also being canvas they do pickup dirt, if stowing them inside the vehicle it does transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier