AUS Water Jerry Cans

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am not soo sure on the ones witht he spout on the bottom, here in AZ, hard plastics become rather brittle in the sun, and a leak/breakage would be highly probable if I were to get one of these. However, depending on your location and you use it might be an excelent find.

The Scepter can are much better IMO, due the durability of the product.

gjackson

FRGS
think the scepter ones will be good against UV breakdown?

For our Africa trip we had a Sceptre water on our roofrack for the entire trip. Saw 9 months of the African sun and still is in great shape. Our companions has 2 sceptre diesel cans on their roofrack and those fared just as well -- even the one that was full on unleaded!

cheers

Graham
www.africaoverland.org

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Scepter is nice but...

gjackson said:
For our Africa trip we had a Sceptre water on our roofrack for the entire trip. Saw 9 months of the African sun and still is in great shape. Our companions has 2 sceptre diesel cans on their roofrack and those fared just as well -- even the one that was full on unleaded!
cheers
Graham

Graham,
I've got one of the Scepter "sand" color water cans but it has to be stored up right otherwise it will leak through the breather cap. Have you encountered the same problem?

flyingwil said:
The Scepter can are much better IMO, due the durability of the product.

I can say that their durability is second to none but I have a concern about storing them on their side, mine tends to leak. :confused:

Cheer :beer:,
P

pangaea

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
I can say that their durability is second to none but I have a concern about storing them on their side, mine tends to leak.

P,

Do you know if you have a desert sand or american sand can? There was a batch of desert sand cans made a while ago that had some leaking issues, and were recalled. The easiest way to tell, is desert sand should have arabic markings on it indicating "water" in addition to the english markings.

gjackson

FRGS
p1michaud,

I have the desert sand sceptre water can, and yes, it does leak from the lid, but not enough for me to worry about. Started leaking maybe 1/2 way through our trip, and still does unless the cap is very tight. It is only a slight drip, so I never worried about it. I never lost enough water to worry about, but I was using it a lot.

cheers

krick3tt

Adventurer
Most of my 20 liter Scepter water cans will leak if transported on their sides. I carried them on my roof rack on their sides to avoid much of the wind resistance and they leaked. I purchaced the 2 1/2 gallon (10 L) size to avoid this issue. They ride just fine in the carriers I fabricated. I just became more water conscious on my travels. Two I ordered (brown) and two (blue) I purchased at REI. The shorter ones are also less prone to getting bashed up there, I face the spout to the rear just in case.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Lowes is selling scepter water cans in store now. Something like $55 per, although one local store had them on the clearance shelf for $45. Still more pricey than the LCI cans I’ve bought in order, but you don’t need to buy 3-4 to hit the shipping quantity!

pluton

Adventurer
Scepter MWCs screw tops often leak a bit, but be aware that Scepter changed the water cans recently (last ≈2 years?) by adding an o-ring seal to the cap. I've got 2 of these new o-ring cans, but haven't taken them into the field yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94