Aus military testing G Wagen

ILIAN

Adventurer
The wheels look like the stock G500 wheels. If they're made good enough for the military, they must be good enough for anything I'm going to throw at them.

94rover

The wheels look like the stock G500 wheels. If they're made good enough for the military, they must be good enough for anything I'm going to throw at them.

Yep, sure do look like standard 16" Ashtaroth wheels and now I really want to have my set painted black.

Dakar Dan, thanks for sharing this video.

jmkoz

These are actually a heavier duty Ashtaroth. To distinguish them, you will notice that where there are holes in the spokes of the standard Ashtaroths - the miltary versions are solid.

here's the standard for comparison.

W463Ashtaroth.jpg

John

Kaisen

Explorer
Watch the video and it's clear that the wheels are stock Ashtaroth, complete with holes in the spokes

otiswesty

Regular guy
The wheels with the holes filled in are for the BA6 armored gclass and are a special high strength version. The standard 16" Ashtaroth is also a very strong alloy wheel. I recently picked up a 5th on Ebay for $120. Occasionally they come up cheap, but not often.

TCao

Watch the video and it's clear that the wheels are stock Ashtaroth, complete with holes in the spokes
Watched the video and at 0:44, the teardrop hole in the spokes on the Ashtaroth wheel looked filled in (sand/dirt deposits). Very cool 6x6 the AUS are testing.

jmkoz

Watched the video and at 0:44, the teardrop hole in the spokes on the Ashtaroth wheel looked filled in (sand/dirt deposits). Very cool 6x6 the AUS are testing.

You are quite correct TCao (as was I)!

ed62603163a22bb44e5b12079c5bda6e551755cb.jpg

Obviously above is from the video. Here is a clearer shot from a non-armoured Australian Defence Force (ADF) G-Wagen

06826a41aaadcbd8479b4a0c6613ed5e0d1bd772.jpg

I hope that this helps clear it up.

By the way these are no longer under test but are in use. I was fortunate to be out at MB Australia to see these forward defence vehicles just after they arrived (pre final fit-out).

I was also fortunate to drive one of the two original 6x6 prototypes before they went into production (this was written up in one of the early editions of Jorg Sand's G-Wagen glossy mag)

John

Last edited:

Dakar Dan

Just returned from an outback trip and spotted a convoy of G-Wagens returning to their NorForce base in Alice Springs. Both 4x4 and 6x6 versions. Interesting to note that most of Australia's ag, mining and recreational sectors runs on LandCruisers but the military refuses to touch them.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I would like to point out how the 461's have the spare wheel mounted on a bumper carrier instead of the rear door. Those doors are not meant to carry all that weight for hundreds of miles of offroading without wearing out or needing to be adjusted all the time. I plan on making a swing out wheel carrier for mine and a lightweight ladder that mounts on the bolts on the door and hinges like that license plate holder on the pic above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne