Rock Lights and Back Up Lights
Shrockworks Rock Sliders
Hi Lift Jack

Future:
Shrockworks Front Bumper with Winch
Shrockworks Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
Shrockworks Skid Plates

USAGE:
This will be a daily driver (20 km commute each way), weekender (surfing, biking, camping, towing my 12 foot tin boat), expedition vehicle (longer multi week road trips) and recovery vehicle (support in pro rally circuit).

HISTORY:
I bought this US-model Xterra at a Canadian Nissan dealership in March 2008 and so far I've put 22,000 km on it in 6 months. I'm very happy with it and I'm excited about its potential as a reliable expedition vehicle.

IMG_0633.sized.jpg

Second weekend after purchasing... already scratched head to toe by sage brush

n747490536_3199979_4313.jpg

Car 98 (sweep vehicle) in the Mountain Trials Rally in Merritt, BC

IMG_1444.sized.jpg

Surf trip to Oregon Coast

23_G.jpg

6800 km road trip around British Columbia

Img_1204b.jpg

New KM2s

Img_1205b.jpg

New KM2s

Last edited:

August

Observer
CoastalDefender said:
Next time you come to Ore, let me know. We can hook up and hit a few of the logging roads along the way. :)
Thanks! That would be awesome. When I was there last month I had no idea where the trails were or the free places to camp.

August said:
Thanks! That would be awesome. When I was there last month I had no idea where the trails were or the free places to camp.

Free places to camp? Bro, if you ever come to Westport, WA, you have a free place to stay at mine. (and you /should/ know where Westport is if you surf :) )

August

Observer
firemansxterra said:
hey august have you checked out thenew.org ...it's a site dedicated to 2nd generation xterras, lots of good info...
I'm there too! Same username, just haven't posted my info on member's rides.

August

Observer
CoastalDefender said:
Free places to camp? Bro, if you ever come to Westport, WA, you have a free place to stay at mine. (and you /should/ know where Westport is if you surf :) )
I haven't surfed there before but I do know of Westport. I'm off to Tofino tomorrow morning. I'm probably going to go to Oregon again this Remembrance Day long weekend (November). So perhaps I'll get down to Westport next spring.

August

Observer
IMG_1035.sized.jpg

Aftermarket hitch and 7-pin harness mounted in rear bumper

IMG_1037.sized.jpg

Keypad in fuel door

IMG_1040.sized.jpg

Garmin nuvi in Nissan mount

IMG_2508.sized.jpg

Spot Satellite Messenger on Ram-Mount

IMG_2529.sized.jpg

Scan Gauge II installed using Blend Mount below rear view mirror and Icom IC-2720H dual band (UHF/VHF) mobile radio remote display above rear view mirror

IMG_2511.sized.jpg

Icom IC-2720H dual band (UHF/VHF) mobile radio in passenger side cargo pocket

IMG_2520.sized.jpg

10" of 4 gauge welding cable to Blue Sea Systems maxi fuse block (PN5006) mounted to the top of an OEM fuse block then 15 or 16' of 4 gauge welding cable through driver side firewall to the cargo bay.

IMG_2516.sized.jpg

4 gauge welding cable from driver side fire wall to Blue Sea Systems ST blade fuse block (PN5025 6 circuit with negative bus and cover) in cargo bay tray. Another 2' of 4 gauge welding cable from negative bus to chassis ground.

IMG_0182.sized.jpg

Globalstar GSP1600 satellite telephone in GCK1400 car kit with external speaker (located below) and external microphone. GCK1400 module located in rear cargo tray.

IMG_0183.sized.jpg

GCK1400 satellite antenna with cable routed through factory tailgate grommet.

August

Observer
My sleeping platform and storage project is 99% complete.

I built the platform around my Akro-Mils Attached Lid Containers (model 39-085 21-1/2" x 15" x 9" $19.40 at Fastenal).

The platform is 3/4" plywood pine and has an inside height of 10-3/4" to clear three of these containers (2 deep sideways and 1 lengthways).

IMG_0467.jpg

The runners are 2" x 12" spruce, spaced outside of the factory rails to permit securing the platform to these rails and so that the factory cargo tray can still be accessed. I may replace the runners as they are crowning quite noticeably.

IMG_0465.jpg

At the mid-section, a 2" x 4" stringer is tied into these runners for extra support.

Originally I tried using the seat bottoms in the upright position to support the forward platforms but this failed when I noticed that they sit at different heights. Instead, I used a 2" x 12" stringer resting on the backside of the seat backs.

The final design consideration was to keep the platform in the cargo area semi-permanent. The forward sections are removable and are split 60/40 to allow usage of either seat (60 sleep / 40 seat OR 60 seat / 40 sleep).

IMG_0464.jpg

Finally, I routered the edges, sanded and used Behr exterior semi-gloss paint. I only had a small can so I was only able to paint the essential/visible parts.

I ordered a custom 3" foam mattress, 44" wide and 65" long with a fold down the length of it so that one person can sleep with the 60 sleep / 40 seat arrangement.

IMG_0481.jpg

Since the mattress and platform is only 65" long, and I am 69" long - I remove the headrest and place my pillow on top.

IMG_0482.jpg

Box 1 is for tools and vehicle supplies, box 2 is for camping gear and box 3 is for recovery equipment.

IMG_0483.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles