Audi Q7 for overlanding?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Anyone using an Audi Q7 for overlanding? I am debating on whether or not to keep our outright owned Q7 or snapping up an LR3. I know the LR3 will make a better overlanding vehicle but I'm wondering if I can make due with the Q7 until the new Defender comes to the US market in a few years. I'm finding it hard to find any type of after market parts for the Q7. Thoughts?:ylsmoke:

p nut

butter
Anyone using an Audi Q7 for overlanding? I am debating on whether or not to keep our outright owned Q7 or snapping up an LR3. I know the LR3 will make a better overlanding vehicle but I'm wondering if I can make due with the Q7 until the new Defender comes to the US market in a few years. I'm finding it hard to find any type of after market parts for the Q7. Thoughts?:ylsmoke:

Guess it depends on what you mean by "overlanding." There are a TON of backcountry roads/trails you can do in a stock SUV/truck. That's the way I travel. I have kids/family, so no need to get crazy. If I need to hit Moab, I'll just tow my 4wheeler.
-
So I'd say unless you plan on doing some tough trails, the Q7 can handle it--in comfort and in style. Just keep up on that maintenance and go prepared.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Guess it depends on what you mean by "overlanding." There are a TON of backcountry roads/trails you can do in a stock SUV/truck. That's the way I travel. I have kids/family, so no need to get crazy. If I need to hit Moab, I'll just tow my 4wheeler.
-
So I'd say unless you plan on doing some tough trails, the Q7 can handle it--in comfort and in style. Just keep up on that maintenance and go prepared.

When I was younger, I had my rovers all kitted out for rocks, boulders, mud, sand, streams, you name it. But now that I am older, I am finding that I prefer more exploration type of overlanding. I probably wouldn't even be asking my initial question if I could readily find aftermarket parts like rock sliders, front bumper, snorkel. I'm not a very "handy" type of guy so I'd have to pay someone to do all the fabrication. I'm handy enough to make trail repairs on my old rangies but am clueless when it comes to welding, fabrication, etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Been there, done that. I prefer to drive something with soul & character. JK, I like Yotas but I also like to go fast on the tarmac. :victory:
I find that there are people who don't actually stop and explore remote places because their vehicle is more or less a vandal target at remote parking locations especially when they are in regions of economic struggles.

The Q7 is a great Urban non minivan van that's a car more or less on the pavement. My Sequoia does just fine covering big miles on pavement and given its First Gen it's not looked at as a Wealthy outa towner ride. Which is nice. We almost bought a bluetec GL but I didn't like the idea of driving through economically challenged remote areas in a $80,000 ride. Even 40yrs ago it wasn't a good idea to leave a big dollar ride parked at remote hiking lots.

Keep the Q7 as the urban wagon that it is and find a low mileage older 4x4 type ride for the adventures. Keeping a lower profile from the urban status cars tends to work better if your really into exploring. Not to mention locals are more friendly with people who seem more in tune with the average working poor.

p nut

butter
When I was younger, I had my rovers all kitted out for rocks, boulders, mud, sand, streams, you name it. But now that I am older, I am finding that I prefer more exploration type of overlanding. I probably wouldn't even be asking my initial question if I could readily find aftermarket parts like rock sliders, front bumper, snorkel. I'm not a very "handy" type of guy so I'd have to pay someone to do all the fabrication. I'm handy enough to make trail repairs on my old rangies but am clueless when it comes to welding, fabrication, etc.

We've been to plenty of remote places in our Subaru Outback. Your Q7 has even more ground clearance and a great AWD system. Don't get in over your head, but the Q7 should be good for a lot of backcountry miles. You don't need sliders and snorkel to explore.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We've been to plenty of remote places in our Subaru Outback. Your Q7 has even more ground clearance and a great AWD system. Don't get in over your head, but the Q7 should be good for a lot of backcountry miles. You don't need sliders and snorkel to explore.

Same here but my Subaru fits in with the working poor / under employed / granola back country types. The Q7 would get some unwanted attention in the places I like to go. Sorta the opposite of pulling up at a big fundraiser event wearing a nice suit and getting out of my beat up Subaru. That's what I use my SLK 350 for :)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader

Lol! We all know that once you start modding, you can't stop.

Excellent points about the unwanted attention. She just gave me permission to get an older Defender (as long as I don't spend more than $30K) if I keep the paid for Audi instead of getting a new Land Rover. I think I just won the lottery... :wings:

XJLI

Adventurer

Yeaup. The only thing I'd worry about is tires. Maybe throw a second spare on a nice roof rack setup and you're good to go.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sorta the opposite of pulling up at a big fundraiser event wearing a nice suit and getting out of my beat up Subaru. That's what I use my SLK 350 for :)

Haha I can relate. Last year I attended the Concours D'Elegance in La Jolla and pulled up to the valet in my truck and jumped out in my suit. In front there was some type of lame Lambo and behind me there was an R8. I got some super confused looks :wings: Best part about it was that I got more attention than the nerd behind/in front of me.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lol! We all know that once you start modding, you can't stop.

Excellent points about the unwanted attention. She just gave me permission to get an older Defender (as long as I don't spend more than $30K) if I keep the paid for Audi instead of getting a new Land Rover. I think I just won the lottery... :wings:

Good move. Plus having a ride lets you spend time finding the Gem vs being rushed to find another set of wheels. When you do your own basic service stuff multiple cars vs licensing and insurance is a wash. In a goofy combo
Of events we ended up with 4 vehicles all paid for and in great shape but older. It made no sense to sell them given their value wasn't much. So we have the 8 pass SUV, the 2seater fun car. Then the daily hauler Subaru and the wife's plugin hybrid commuter. Oddly we manage to use them all pretty regularly.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Good move. Plus having a ride lets you spend time finding the Gem vs being rushed to find another set of wheels. When you do your own basic service stuff multiple cars vs licensing and insurance is a wash. In a goofy combo
Of events we ended up with 4 vehicles all paid for and in great shape but older. It made no sense to sell them given their value wasn't much. So we have the 8 pass SUV, the 2seater fun car. Then the daily hauler Subaru and the wife's plugin hybrid commuter. Oddly we manage to use them all pretty regularly.

Yeah, I get it. We have a murdered out chipped 2008 Vette for our fun road car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles