atv fuel cans

perterra

Adventurer
Yep, pretty pricey, but I know a gent who picked some up at Cabelas for about half that price. They do mount flat though. When you consider the price most people put in accs, it doesnt seem that high.:)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Help...........!

What is the best way for me to carry extra gas for my trip in Sept. ......?!!

I suppose I could get a jerry can with mount..........but the only real place I have to mount it is my back bumper.....which would be a massive Bomb in waiting if I got rear ended!

I don't have a roof rack........and really don't know if I want to use one just to stick gas up there.

I do have an area under my passenger side rear tire area........up under the truck where I can put a 2.5 gallon red plastic gas can. Is this dangerous? If I ran out.....this would give me 30+ miles to get out of the backcountry.

I know the best way is to move my spare to the back of the truck on a swing out rack.....and do the aux tank like Boston Mangler and others..........but no time for that right now.

What do you do?:confused:

perterra

Adventurer
As far as I know there are no other choices. Its not going to be safe mounted anywhere other than inside the frame rails, and even then your looking at a possible puncture.

If you get rear ended hard enough any large amount of fuel aft of the rear axle is going to be a problem. Just got to decide which is worse, chancing a rear end collision, or walking somewhere for gas.

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks..........

Here is the solution I've been looking at from Downey.

But I would rather have More than an extra 14 gallons. So trying to decide if one day I will want to go with a swing out bumper......then a much larger tank, where my spare came from. ......and maybe a tank for water right next door.

I'm afraid to ask Downey how much this tank cost's.........!

And I don't like the idea of losing 4" with this setup.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ChassisComponents/index.htm

AT-7.jpg

PICKUP AND 4 RUNNER AUXILIARY TANKS

These are sturdy 14 gauge coated steel tanks with an approximate 14 gallon capacity (varies due to evapo-emission control system). Each auxiliary tank solidly bolts to the vehicle in four mounting locations, and fits the 1979-95 4WD Pickup and 1984-89 4 Runner. When you top-off both tanks, stock and auxiliary, your gas gauge is indicating that both tanks are full. When empty, your gas gauge indicates that both tanks are empty. Tanks mount into the area immediately above the spare tire. The spare tire will mount identically (chain and crank) suspended approximately 4” lower than before. You may want to consider a suspension lift kit to buy back some of the lost ground clearance. These auxiliary tanks have their own filler neck and cap that mount at the rear of the passenger’s side rear wheel well.

71001-R 79-88 Pickup $ Call
71002-R 89-90 Pickup $ Call
71003-R 84-89 4 Runner $ Call
71006-R 91-95 Pickup $ Call

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Yes time is an issue before my Sept. trip.

.....don't want to do anything rash...and expensive before I try and get outta Dodge!

I guess the safest....quickest way would be to use a roof rack.

Or as a last resort.........

A hitch mounted rack like you mentioned....but raised high like a jeep type rack. So it's up high out of the way from a rear end collision.

Kinda like this...........but now that I read about it more. It looks like it bolts on to your existing tire rack.

.....I'm Not a Jeep guy!

.....But!...........I might be transformed if and when they put out their new diesel.........!!!

....anyway.........the pic shows how I would want gas to be high above the impact area!

Photo7900.trailsystem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

perterra

Adventurer
Probably a roof rack would be the simplest. Plus be a good place to carry extra stuff. I know on my Xterra the rack right over the cab gets the duffel that contains the tent and two sleeping bags with the cook stove packed behind it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Cool water tanks too. You could fit two of those behind the rear seat of a Tacoma Double Cab.

Great find and link :beer:

perterra

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Cool water tanks too. You could fit two of those behind the rear seat of a Tacoma Double Cab.

Great find and link :beer:

Be sure and look at a Gander Mtn, Cabelas or Bass Pro first. I know a guy who rigged two of the fuel tanks on his dirt bike rack. The mounting system for the small tanks connects the tank from the center of the tank with a wing nut. That way you can stand them up or ay them down and not have to strap them.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4808584&showprevnext=1

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4808585&showprevnext=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier