Attaching DIY camper direct to Tacoma frame.

rruff

Explorer
What is the hard stop preventing more twist?

There isn't any... obviously?

Wouldn't because people only stop when things break not when they bend:)

It will take a permanent set when the yield point of the material is exceeded. That should happen long before it cracks or breaks.

These frame are designed to flex torsionally. Doesn't mean it's weak at all... might actually take a higher twisting force than a stiff fully boxed frame. Stiffness and strength are completely different.

D

Deleted member 144299

Hey raggedphoto I’m curious if you’ve made any progress on your build? Would love to see an update.
Whoa blast from the past! Sorry but I abandoned any plans for a truck camper and moved on to sailing as my main long term travel plan. Started sailing a 22 foot sloop a couple years ago and hopefully we will get a blue water boat sometime in next few years after I finish remodeling the house!

Alloy

There isn't any... obviously?

It will take a permanent set when the yield point of the material is exceeded. That should happen long before it cracks or breaks.

These frame are designed to flex torsionally. Doesn't mean it's weak at all... might actually take a higher twisting force than a stiff fully boxed frame. Stiffness and strength are completely different.

By hard stop I meant the springs bottoming out or tire hitting something. Lifting might solve both and have more than 1 benefit. If it the under mount is making contact with the frame that's a harder issue to solve and only has 1 added benifit.

A sway bar (spring steel) will break.

rruff

Explorer
By hard stop I meant the springs bottoming out or tire hitting something.

I thought you were talking about the frame twist. Springs and tires will not stop that... but they (and shocks and bumpstops) will limit travel and articulation same as they do on any chassis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles