ATrac and Torsen vs Triple locker

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Hello, I’ve owned my 2000 LX470 now for about 3 years, and have taken it everywhere from the OBX, to Canada and on out to Colorado, with even more trips on the horizon hopefully. I have 33’s and a 2” Ironman lift on currently, and find the 4 speed and stock gears to be less than desirable. I’ll be moving up to 4.88 gears down the road, and will either put lockers in both ends, or a locker in the front and LSD in the rear.

My thinking is that A trac is great, but could be made even more robust, and more instantaneous with the aid of an LSD in the rear helping to distribute power both mechanically, and electronically. Though this is only a theory, my goal is to keep things relatively simple, and I like the idea of not worrying about switching anything on, but rather just having it work behind the scenes, at least for the rear.

My question is if anyone has gone down this road and has any experience with a similar setup, and what their experience has been?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Can't speak to the 100 Series but I went with a rear locker only in the 200. We have very different Atrac and Crawl functions though, the Atrac in the 100 is much more rudimentary.

nickw

Adventurer
Hello, I’ve owned my 2000 LX470 now for about 3 years, and have taken it everywhere from the OBX, to Canada and on out to Colorado, with even more trips on the horizon hopefully. I have 33’s and a 2” Ironman lift on currently, and find the 4 speed and stock gears to be less than desirable. I’ll be moving up to 4.88 gears down the road, and will either put lockers in both ends, or a locker in the front and LSD in the rear.

My thinking is that A trac is great, but could be made even more robust, and more instantaneous with the aid of an LSD in the rear helping to distribute power both mechanically, and electronically. Though this is only a theory, my goal is to keep things relatively simple, and I like the idea of not worrying about switching anything on, but rather just having it work behind the scenes, at least for the rear.

My question is if anyone has gone down this road and has any experience with a similar setup, and what their experience has been?
I'd had rigs with open diffs, selectable lockers, LSD, etc. I think for expedition use you've described a front locker is totally overkill. I think a rear selectable locker and open front is a nice reasonably simple and cost effective setup.

rlynch356

Defyota
LSD's usually are clutch pack designs.. so you could get some gains when using ATRAC but honestly I would not bother and just go to a full selectable locker in the rear. It will be much more robust over the long term.
ymmv

ATRAC works off of the wheel speed sensors and triggers the brakes to stop wheel spin and move power to the other wheel.. so it might have some gains with an LSD (by not activating as much)
but really is of no use with a fully locked differential.

I normally think about ATRAC as being useful on say the beach when the truck has an Unlocked center diff, and you let the system decided where to send the power across all 4 wheels.

They need to be driven in different ways to make the most of the systems...

YMMV

Last edited:

Koenbro

I have an Eaton TrueTrac Torsen diff in the back and an ARB selectable air locker in the front and love this setup. Rarely turn the front on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

MOAK

Adventurer
Think about regearing your transfer case with an underdrive gear set. That will give you the equivalent of 4:88s. Mine is triple locked. I engage the front locker on occasion just to keep it exercised. I’ve actually used it to get through a tough spot 2 or 3 times in 10 years. If I were you, I’d go with the underdrive gearing, a center diff lock and a selectable locker in the rear. Good luck !

4x4tripping

Adventurer
AVvXsEgH_ObNE7Mi_1VEHO7ipSd6P593tM0bYWLDfLV6OzybN2KXaVGUUQEfN-CWXHdB1zbjZtf42_mHZloCs4u7xWd9gZPA_aFcszc2mm0DMZIs9YiMDcTo4YtAwCBdvyIWm0c7VO9Da-UX5knpuRkQpoY27e1SokuDA9OrXyfApGadruWZ6-yrWDMbY0kW=s1280

Mine is triple locked with ARB, ATRAC is on board at original stage. ATRAC did save my ass everytime when I didnt detect a problematic track part in front.

Probably my article about "Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding or vanlife" is helpful: https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021/05/mods-i-wouldnt-do-again-for-overlanding.html

trippin

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm in the same boat. Looking at doing a re-gear and upgrade to lockers while I'm a it. Anyone can recommend a good place to do this kind of work in New England?

Anyone have opinions regarding E-Locker vs Air Lockers?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Both have their drawbacks. If you already have the compressor and manifold installed then it makes jumping to the ARB’s easier. Pick whichever floats your boat as they both work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles