ATO AterraXL composite flatbed camper (pagoda roof)

calameda

The drawers under the bed make that area pretty tight. If I was sharing that space it might be a deal breaker, but it would be fine on my own.
I'm a big fan of the Aterra's interior, but yeah, the cabover is pretty confining. Mattress just 3" thick, but on Froli springs, so maybe not too bad? Still, I'm surprised that the under-bed storage is so tall, given the tradeoffs with cabover headroom and mattress thickness.

For my money (or not, since I'm going with a TC flatbed build by OAT in Olympia) best idea is the Aterra's cubby storage under the galley counter. Really like that concept, the use of Step22 cubes, and easy portability of gear inside-outside, and weight savings. The sheer mass of cabinetry in some v popular campers just defies explanation.

Speaking of weight savings, anyone know what material Aterra uses for cabinetry in (galley, dinette, front wall, under-bed)? Is it aluminum? composite panels? How they pulled off 1200 lbs dry but well equipped (really?) is the real magic.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The Aterra certainly has a roomier feel. Two features I don´t like. First the toilet in the bench. The slide out solution in the HBE is much better. Second the confined space in the bed . Because of the pagoda roof it is very confined at the head if you sleep east/west and if you sleep north/south you have to sleep feet forward if you want headroom. I agree that the HBE and the basecamp layout is awkward.

Agreed on the Wrappon toilet in the passenger side of the dinette; not in regards to the placement of it, but the fact that the dining table mount is oriented on the passenger/potti side of the dinette, and the Lagun table mount doesn't allow enough swing of the table to the driver side, to allow adequate potti room (ATO's suggestion is to remove the table and use the potti--a better solution can be had). The table should have been mounted on the driver side of the dinette to begin with. So I'm working on this fix.

Pagoda roof headroom in the bed when sleeping east-west; depends how tall you are. I'm 6' and have no issues with feeling cramped up there, and I'm also not sliding the bed out into King position; I'm just sleeping on the "Full"(?) section right now.

I'm a big fan of the Aterra's interior, but yeah, the cabover is pretty confining. Mattress just 3" thick, but on Froli springs, so maybe not too bad? Still, I'm surprised that the under-bed storage is so tall, given the tradeoffs with cabover headroom and mattress thickness.

For my money (or not, since I'm going with a TC flatbed build by OAT in Olympia) best idea is the Aterra's cubby storage under the galley counter. Really like that concept, the use of Step22 cubes, and easy portability of gear inside-outside, and weight savings. The sheer mass of cabinetry in some v popular campers just defies explanation.

Speaking of weight savings, anyone know what material Aterra uses for cabinetry in (galley, dinette, front wall, under-bed)? Is it aluminum? composite panels? How they pulled of 1200 lbs dry but well equipped (really?) is the real magic.

Mattress is super comfy.
Cabinetry is something another camper company offers, but I'm unsure if it's an ATO secret to let the cat out of the bag. Let's just say it's very light.
My camper with options weighs a bit more than that.
Truck/camper is ~11,000lbs and with proper Carli susp, it drives/handles like an SUV vs a big rig.

Ninelitetrip

Stopped by ATO at EXPO, and was able to speak with Mario.

First impression, definitely impressed. I think this certainly is a contender, compared to the OEV HBE. Some changes from the displayed prototype and upcoming production. First, on this display unit, the flatbed tray has been changed to the OEV Aluma Tray HD 9 foot tray, with driver side storage and passenger side spare tire up front. Build quality on the exterior looks excellent. There has been a change to the floor construction and a change to the interior hieight by an extra @ 3 inches. Cushions are now upholstered with Sunbrella for durability. The sPod has been replaced by a Garmin unit for durability and extra functions. The smugglers notch up front of the bed now has covers that can be removed, and in combination, the extra cushions for the king-size bed can be used to turn the dinette into a sofa/love seat. There will be an option for a DC 12 volt mini split AC. the head unit will hang above the dinette on the driver side, with the rest hanging off the back of the exterior. The table has been revised and contoured to allow easier access to the dinette seats. Maybe a couple of other things, that's what I remember.

I really like the headroom and open feeling of the interior. The entryway/foyer is huge and you don't have that confined feeling. Others have mentioned the lack of exterior storage for items like skis or outdoor equipment, etc. Interested to see what people come up with for solutions.

One item that the OEV HBE seems to excel is the ability to attach exterior items to the shell, like the molle panels in the rear to carry items like spare tires and extra storage, or the L track that is installed on the roof and along the side panels. Attaching items to the exterior, especially heavy items like spare tires may be more of a challenge with the type of construction used by ATO. I asked specifically about installing L track on the exterior walls.

Current production should come in around 1100 pounds. They shaved 70 pounds just with changes in the interior fit out.

In terms of overhead space if you have been in an earlier build of the AterraXL current version is being built with the increased internal height which I verified today. Back in May Mario said it would be a 2 to 3-inch increase. They also did a redo on how they built the furniture inside which shaved off 70 pounds.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
In terms of overhead space if you have been in an earlier build of the AterraXL current version is being built with the increased internal height which I verified today. Back in May Mario said it would be a 2 to 3-inch increase. They also did a redo on how they built the furniture inside which shaved off 70 pounds.
Maybe ATO can update the internal and external dimensions for the current build version for comparison.

Great point! Sorry I didn't mention that here; shouldn't have assumed everyone was updated on the scuttlebutt.
I'm unsure if the walls will be 2-3" taller, or the Pagoda pitch will be a steeper angle; but I'd think the former as that's a whole lot easier to change.
Note with this change that the 3 dinette windows will be positioned higher as well for better viewing over the dinette cushions. I didn't understand why they didn't move my Gen1 Aterra windows up a bit higher.

70lbs savings on Gen2 interiors; WOW, that's awesome!

I agree that ATO should update their site to reflect Gen2 campers, but I don't think they'll show a comparision between Gen1 and Gen2.

sn_85

Observer
That was one thing that struck me. The drawers under the bed make that area pretty tight. If I was sharing that space it might be a deal breaker, but it would be fine on my own.

The main difference I see in the layout vs FWC or OEV is the toilet. In the those two the toilet is a separate and rather large box that takes up a lot of space. In the Aterra it's under the passenger side dinette seat. At first I thought it might slide out to the entryway, but it does not. You'd need to remove the table, which is not very convenient if you are using that table. A Lagun style might allow you to leave it attached though. And I agree it's way better than that big box the others have... at least if you are alone.

In small campers you have to make compromises; layout and packaging are very important.

EDIT: Just noticed in this HBE video that OEV now puts the toilet under the passenger side dinette seat also, but it slides out into the entryway, which I think is a better arrangement... and the box where the toilet used to be is just storage.

Personally preference on the HBE but I still don't like the huge storage cabinet that used to store the toilet that's still there. It's great that it is a giant closet but it just looks huge and out of place. It adds to the confined space feeling inside the HBE. To get to bed you still have to squeeze through and then hop up. My preference would be for them to get rid of that and do a small straight or L-shaped bench with lift up storage. That way you add more seating space, a way to get up into the bed without using some drawer step, you still get some storage space, and helps open up the interior roominess as well.

rruff

Explorer
Putting cabinets and "stuff" at the front (like Aterra) makes sense since that is better for CG. You have to manage the hard to access corners, but using those spots for outdoor access works... like battery and electrical, water tanks, propane tanks, etc. They give up some storage space by not using that area to the right of the door, and since it isn't a pop up, they could go all the way to the roof with that. But you'd give up the roomy feel.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Camper is temporarily outside at the moment, Truma set to 50degF, and it's nice and toasty inside compared to 17degF outside. I'm happy about that.

Working on a few details/upgrades (more to come later) I'm not so happy about.

But back to happier things...my new custom Inhabit(Chilewich) floorcovering just arrived, and after I put a lot of effort into perfecting the template (it's not a square), their production team nailed the end result! It's in their new Gravel color; pretty fitting name.
SUCH a huge improvement over the puzzle piece gym mat that came in the Aterra, completely transformed the space IMHO, and even better is that the floorcovering is still thin enough that I can place it over the gym floor, so I retain extra cushion, and yet I can still open the hanging closet door.

OldGymFloor.jpg

NewInFloor.jpg

sn_85

Observer
Camper is temporarily outside at the moment, Truma set to 50degF, and it's nice and toasty inside compared to 17degF outside. I'm happy about that.

Working on a few details/upgrades (more to come later) I'm not so happy about.

But back to happier things...my new custom Inhabit(Chilewich) floorcovering just arrived, and after I put a lot of effort into perfecting the template (it's not a square), their production team nailed the end result! It's in their new Gravel color; pretty fitting name.
SUCH a huge improvement over the puzzle piece gym mat that came in the Aterra, completely transformed the space IMHO, and even better is that the floorcovering is still thin enough that I can place it over the gym floor, so I retain extra cushion, and yet I can still open the hanging closet door.

View attachment 752797

View attachment 752798

That's awesome. I talked to the folks at Inhabit as well and they make a great product. I'm definitely getting one of their floor mats for my camper as well.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great pics. Prompts me to ask, I've read about how spacious it seems but how would the floor space work for 2 people and a 70lb lab ?

J, I think you may have mentioned a canine, or one in you future. Thoughts ?

Thx, David

Hey David,

It definitely feels and is spacious, at least compared to other campers on the market.

My rig is designed around 2 thinner humans, and 2 55-60lb dogs. The ideal scenario is fair weather where the dogs sleep in their own area on the dog platform in the 2nd row of the truck. In times of really nasty conditions, the smaller one could curl up in the dinette/shower floor pan area, the other wherever she lands(probably in the entry way area since the heater is in the driver front corner so she couldn't be there without getting too hot, and can't really be in front of the sink/stove).
I think 2 people and a 70lb Lab would be fine--Lab might need to move from under foot at times, but everyone would be ok and not feel uber cramped.

Get out to Oregon and check out mine for yourself. We can put a puffy coat on one of the dogs to simulate your 70lb Lab. ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great. So you have two pals now, or plan to btw ?

Thx for the offer. Just let me know when you have a jacket that will simulate me to be a thinner human.

And please don't say "Saran wrap" :p

I have the smaller one all the time, and the bigger one sometimes.

Hehe, how about Shrink Wrap? :LOL:
In all seriousness, the Aterra is well suited and spacious for 2 people of various sizes. It feels even bigger than it looks.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

Attachments

• 9AAC56D8-4E37-45E5-A415-EC8DE9035542.jpeg
    9AAC56D8-4E37-45E5-A415-EC8DE9035542.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 5DC598A8-4953-4FAD-8173-3A4DF21C9530.jpeg
    5DC598A8-4953-4FAD-8173-3A4DF21C9530.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CA82EC8E-D88A-489D-8E00-7993EDA3BA97.jpeg
    CA82EC8E-D88A-489D-8E00-7993EDA3BA97.jpeg
    903.1 KB · Views: 46