ATF PISTOL BRACE RULE AND SBR AMNESTY

Umbrarian

Observer
I would tell your friend to think long and hard about it, the amnesty period does not say they will be approved, if the form is submitted and it takes more than 88 days to get the approval back, it is an automatic denial and the ATF has said they will then take enforcement action, and since your friend now has been denied an application for a SBR that he told them where it was, and who owned it...It makes for a pretty easy enforcement action.

Have your friend ask himself, why this particular form for this program requires a photograph, when that is not normal practice...those are things I would be telling my friend and would make me think....hmmm....

I would tell your friend to find a 16 inch upper and stick it on the rifle and see how this plays out. Or sell the firearm before it is published in the register.

1) Take brace off while waiting for registration.
2) Photos are required so folks without braces do not try to get free registration

bob280zx

Observer
Pick up a 16 inch upper and stick on it and get a sturdier brace....
Yeah I have plenty of ways to address it. That’s not the point. Also have to be careful to have the right assortment of bits and pieces to avoid the ATF’s catchall “constructive possession” rule. Mostly likely, I’m just out a nice 11.5 barrel and a brace

Reactions: WVI

2.ooohhh

Eh it caused a bit of a different issue for me, ALL my lowers are approved and stamped as SBRs. All were assembled and documented as pistols prior to registering as SBRs save one pair that were purchased as rifles. All eligible were frequently temporarily reverted back to pistols for travel into states where SBRs are banned utilizing pistol braces. Now this muddies the pistol/SBR definition federally and may not make that as simple. Hopefully only removing a forward vertical grip and removing my stock from the buffer tube will be kosher, but time will tell.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW.......All you need is:

Email address
Smartphone (with camera to take a picture and the ATF app)
Internet access
Computer, Ipad, laptop, etc.
a Credit card
and about 30 minutes of time

and your registered via eForms. Now just the normal wait time.

832E2D79-F9A9-4330-B6CB-39BB3239EE71.jpeg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
oh, lol, that's ALL I need for my constitutionally protected right?

So...we all understand our 2a rights but, for this thread we weren't going to play whole 2A game here, just the facts on the process. Maybe you missed that one detail.

Maybe I missed the point........and, I'll just bounce out of this conversation.

Last edited:

gentimmy

So...we weren't going to play whole 2A game here, just the facts on the process. Maybe you missed that one detail.
You're right, I digressed. It sure is infuriating (and illegal), though!

Personally I would wait - too much in flux and too many unanswered questions that agents of the ATF have admitted they do not understand themselves. They also snuck in a rule that no one other than the individual holding the tax stamp can physically possess (even with supervision) an NFA item.

The FPC...and I assume the ADA...are going to have a field day.

ITTOG

You're right, I digressed. It sure is infuriating (and illegal), though!

Personally I would wait - too much in flux and too many unanswered questions that agents of the ATF have admitted they do not understand themselves. They also snuck in a rule that no one other than the individual holding the tax stamp can physically possess (even with supervision) an NFA item.

The FPC...and I assume the ADA...are going to have a field day.
Wouldn't a trust get around only one person being able to possess the gun?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ITTOG

FWIW.......All you need is:

Email address
Smartphone (with camera to take a picture and the ATF app)
Internet access
Computer, Ipad, laptop, etc.
a Credit card
and about 30 minutes of time

and your registered via eForms. Now just the normal wait time.

View attachment 762730
So you will be illegal for a while even if you apply. I thought there would be some sort of exception or temporary stamp for those filling.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So you will be illegal for a while even if you apply. I thought there would be some sort of exception or temporary stamp for those filling.

Sorry, I should have been more clear regarding the eForm process as it applies to this subject. eForm allows you to complete the form 4 for the tax and transfer of SBR's (silencers, NFA's, etc...) online, pay any fees/tax stamp and be notified by the ATF when approved.
Since this process was used for a different (non SBR) NFA item I don't have any information regarding the current a grace period on the Brace issue. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just curious, do they have a similar program with that system for an auto 12 ga. with a 16 inch barrel? Not that I have one, just curious???

ITTOG

Just curious, do they have a similar program with that system for an auto 12 ga. with a 16 inch barrel? Not that I have one, just curious???
I am pretty sure anything that is automatic requires a tax stamp.

$200 NFA Tax Stamps: A Complete Guide – Gun Trust NFA
The Purpose of an NFA Tax Stamp
Many people in the United States don’t realize that it is still legal to own a fully automatic firearm, as well as a few other classes of weapons now included on the NFA list. Those weapons include:

• Fully automatic weapons
  • Short barreled rifles (rifles with barrels less than 16 inches)
  • Short barreled shotguns (shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches)
  • Suppressors
  • Destructive devices

gentimmy

Wouldn't a trust get around only one person being able to possess the gun?

You would have to name them on the trust which creates separate issues. Formerly friends could shoot your cans, in your presence, without their names on the trust.

gentimmy

Sorry, I should have been more clear regarding the eForm process as it applies to this subject. eForm allows you to complete the form 4 for the tax and transfer of SBR's (silencers, NFA's, etc...) online, pay any fees/tax stamp and be notified by the ATF when approved.
Since this process was used for a NFA item I don't have any information regarding the current a grace period on the Brace issue. Hope that helps.

There is a grace period - once you've filed you are good to go. Now, if they come back with a rejection, you've supplied the address you reside and where the weapon is being held. The ATF has said that at that point they would come seize your firearm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles