ATC Cougar Camper Review and Build

I did research ATC and FWC and could not figure out how to sleep and eat 4 comfortably with their off-the-shelf layouts. I also wanted as much floor space as possible so we could maneuver around each other while cooking or doing dishes. I also had a budget:).

So when you have an 8' camper in a 6.5' bed you have some surfaces sticking out the back that are just screaming for something to go there. My old portable camp grill and folding army surplus shovel found a home. I used some brackets from my adventure motorcycle business hardware and some straps...

i-dCwmXCr-M.jpg

i-MGGtgNc-M.jpg

i-MmRdSBv-M.jpg

I also found a perfect lightweight folding ladder, made by Cosco, Walmart...
i-bsJD5sX-M.jpg

It stows under the rear ledge as if it were made for it...
i-jzsCvRw-M.jpg

I still have not gotten to the outside window flap project. I know what I have to do, but have to find the time to get it done. I moved from CO to CA and I am finally getting my life back to normal somewhat, so hopefully I can get back to it.

You did a great job on that build out. Looks really good. Clever idea for the grill and shovel. Just don't block your tail lights. That said, you could mount two large boxes there (blocking the lights), and add lights to the rear of the boxes. Kind of like Hallmark does on some of their campers:

hallmark-ute-camper.jpg

Thanks! I did think about boxes back there, but I really don't want to add a lot of weight. So, I attached the items that I need to access easily without having to climb into the camper. The items and stuff sacks are well inboard of the tail lights. So far nobody has stolen them even while parked in the city, and that has frankly amazed me.

After a couple of years of heavy camping use of my ATC Cougar, including living out of it while doing a house remodel, I found there were some things I could do better with my build. I found that putting the water tank directly under the sink in the galley side cabinet was not the best place for weight distribution and galley cabinet space. I also grew a little tired of the big cooler that lasted maybe 3 days on 3 "cooler shock" cold packs. The old lead-acid battery was not holding up well and weighed a ton. So I did a "little" remodel that was far more work than I thought:

First was to move the water tank from in the side cabinet to under the front bench seat. You can't see it but it is elevated about 2-1/2" off the floor to allow a drain fitting and water lines to run underneath. That small square wood panel covers the water pump allowing easy access if I ever need to change it.
i-XZx9wWr-X2.jpg

The fill hatch and check valve is accessed by moving the bench seat forward...

i-wHM3zJS-X2.jpg

I actually got a larger tank too, 18 gallons.

Next I replaced the old heavy lead acid battery with a LifePo4 battery in the galley side cabinet. One can spend $800-$1000 on a top brand LifePo4, or you can get one directly from China with a BMS for about $500 or even less. I got one called "Scremower" 100ah off Amazon. I like the name - NOT. Came with a charger, a USB port on the side, and a digital display that tells you the voltage. Will it hold up as well as those other far more expensive units? So far it has. Added a charge controller too...
i-Qx5JtSx-X2.jpg

and a 110w Sunpower solar panel to the roof...
i-DGmRhBh-X2.jpg

I actually did the solar panel install twice. First time I put this material that I got at Home Depot that looks like corrugated cardboard (but it is make of plastic) under the panel then used RV roof repair tape (Eternabond) to secure it all down. However, no air could get in, so I re-did it with the RV roof repair tape only at the front leading edge and rear edge. That way air could flow through the corrugated plastic sheet from side to side and keep the solar panel cool. There is a popular YouTube video on this, but the guy does not mention leaving the long sides of the solar panel open to air flow. Doh!

Next I replaced the regular cooler with a Dometic CFX355IM 53 liter fridge. This thing I love...
i-RQ7hkqW-X2.jpg

I had a Lagun table leg that you you can see in the photo below. It was attached to the corner of the galley cabinet, kind of a pain to use. It did come in handy when I held on to it for dear life as my wife drove the truck around the block and I was back there checking for water tank leaks. She drove like some kind of crazy person. Hit my head on the corner of the Dometic fridge real hard. Anyway, I got rid of the Lagun table leg and replaced with a more conventional post-style one...
i-MZgGJd3-X2.jpg

i-cnwWb86-X2.jpg

Should have done all this the first time:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94