AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

jerm1978

Does anyone have any pictures and/or experience attaching anything, any accessories to the inside or outside walls? I'm curious as to how much weight they can support. Any added any extra structure to the wall so that they could support more?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Does anyone have any pictures and/or experience attaching anything, any accessories to the inside or outside walls? I'm curious as to how much weight they can support. Any added any extra structure to the wall so that they could support more?

If you let me know what it is you want to attach, how much it weighs, and where you want to attach it, and I should be able to assist.

aaldape

Observer
Would one of the Hannibal awnings (47lb ish) be able to be supported by the side panels?

22cb27e7973e36c9fbfbe85f0fe95351.jpg

Martyn

Would one of the Hannibal awnings (47lb ish) be able to be supported by the side panels?

For the awning it’s not so much the weight that is the issue, it’s the load on the panels when the awning is opened. The Hannibal designed awning is free standing and the torque goes right back to the awning brackets twisting the brackets downwards.

The solution is to spread the load as much as you can at the bracket and make sure it is spread vertically as much as possible. Mario fitted an Eezi Awn Bat 270 to the side of his Summit, which has the same base as the Habitat, using custom made brackets that are long enough to spread the force being applied to the panel.

Martyn

would like to mount a 3 gallon roto pax to each side.
No problem here. You are probably looking at 20 lbs of weight when full. The units are mounted close to the panel to the load is direct. Make sure you use the backing plates or fender washers on the inside. Caulk the holes to seal them using type II silicon.

aaldape

Observer

For the awning it’s not so much the weight that is the issue, it’s the load on the panels when the awning is opened. The Hannibal designed awning is free standing and the torque goes right back to the awning brackets twisting the brackets downwards.

The solution is to spread the load as much as you can at the bracket and make sure it is spread vertically as much as possible. Mario fitted an Eezi Awn Bat 270 to the side of his Summit, which has the same base as the Habitat, using custom made brackets that are long enough to spread the force being applied to the panel.

That makes sense. I wonder if you could do a combination of weight-spreading baseplates for the brackets on the inside and outside to distribute the load...

Any photos of the Summit setup, and specifically, the brackets?

Martyn

That makes sense. I wonder if you could do a combination of weight-spreading baseplates for the brackets on the inside and outside to distribute the load...

Any photos of the Summit setup, and specifically, the brackets?
Send an e mail to Mario info at adventuretrailers he has the Summit with him in So.Cal and can send pictures.

kai38

Explorer
In Canada & Alaska we had rain 70% of the nights we camped.
Stayed dry every time, I was worried about packing it away damp in the mornings but we stopped early to let it air out.
I had maybe 2 nights of scary winds camped along the shore of a lake, (bad idea for future campsites) Tent also did great.

GaryMc

Explorer
In Canada & Alaska we had rain 70% of the nights we camped.
Stayed dry every time, I was worried about packing it away damp in the mornings but we stopped early to let it air out.
I had maybe 2 nights of scary winds camped along the shore of a lake, (bad idea for future campsites) Tent also did great.

It wasn’t Lake Kluane, was it? I’ve camped there a few times and it can get burly!

GaryMc

Explorer

I’m picking up my new Habitat, from Juniper Overland, in a few weeks and am curious about the Batwing/Foxwing awnings.... Is it possible to use them in a partially closed manner that would work with the Habitat, i.e. only opening the awning into a 180 configuration? Or would it be too floppy?

aaldape

Observer

I’m picking up my new Habitat, from Juniper Overland, in a few weeks and am curious about the Batwing/Foxwing awnings.... Is it possible to use them in a partially closed manner that would work with the Habitat, i.e. only opening the awning into a 180 configuration? Or would it be too floppy?

There are a couple problems with this (I’ve looked into it):

1) the Habitat has external air struts that are pretty much in the way when it comes to mounting an awning, but it could be done with some spacers and clever bracket design/placement.

2) the awnings need pulled tight to work, so for a 270 degree awning, you’d need a way to pull a couple of the support arms together and keep them in place to keep the fabric taught. Also can be done, but would leave you with a “wad” of bunches of fabric between the two arms that you’d need to roll up and stow to keep it out of the way.

Martyn

As other people have said in their posts the issue is the gas struts that assists in the lid opening and closing, basically they will get in the way of the awning. Some people are trying to work solutions that put the awning outside of the gas strut sweep and there may be a solution there eventually. In a nutshell the 270’ awning isn’t an ideal set up with for the Habitat. We are working on alternative ways to provide more shade for everyone and are currently in the planning and design stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles