AT Summit Interior attachments/modifications

primussucks

Howdy ExpoPortal. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently acquired an AT Summit and took it on a maiden voyage through Bears Ears and into Canyonlands (Lockhart Basin and Chicken Corners)
56FCECBD-141A-4972-A2BE-841AC95FD59F_1_105_c.jpeg
BA7EBEC3-4E6C-411D-89C0-651809C5F4E1_1_105_c.jpeg

I've done this route before, but usually in my 04 Disco. I've had my 06 Dodge platform for a while and decided we wanted to upgrade from a tent to a camper.

I only had 2 weeks from date of purchase until we left on our trip. So I quickly threw together some storage in the rear to keep our stuff organized and secure. The platforms on the right (where the folding table is located) also double as steps for my wife to climb into bed. Works pretty well actually.
073DBDDE-FA4E-4552-B4A5-308CB4AF45D7_1_105_c.jpeg

My question is...
What is the best way to attach things to the insulated carpet walls on the AT? I want to add some hooks and some cubbies. I'd prefer not to penetrate the aluminum.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• BA7EBEC3-4E6C-411D-89C0-651809C5F4E1_1_105_c.jpeg
    BA7EBEC3-4E6C-411D-89C0-651809C5F4E1_1_105_c.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 10

Scoutman

Explorer
I don't have one yet but we have been looking to order one for our long bed dodge. I've seen where folks would mount L track on the walls which give you all sorts of options for hooks, mounts, gear nets, etc. I know that penetrates the walls but other than velcro to the carpet I'm not sure what you would do.

I would like to see what you come up with and more pictures if you have them. I would also like your thoughts on how it seals up to the tailgate for a 2006 Dodge since that's one of my primary concerns.

primussucks

I don't have one yet but we have been looking to order one for our long bed dodge. I've seen where folks would mount L track on the walls which give you all sorts of options for hooks, mounts, gear nets, etc. I know that penetrates the walls but other than velcro to the carpet I'm not sure what you would do.

I would like to see what you come up with and more pictures if you have them. I would also like your thoughts on how it seals up to the tailgate for a 2006 Dodge since that's one of my primary concerns.
Truck was full of dust after Utah. I tried a few things to seal it up, but none really worked.

I plan on removing the entire rear lift door on the AT and the tailgate.. I'm going to have a fabricator make swing out doors.

There is a great deal of acrobatics to 'close up for the night'... Involves being outside the truck.. Shutting the tailgate, climbing up and over through the open AT flip door. then reaching out and closing the AT door.

The entry/exit/door situation is worst part about these styles. Hopefully my swing out door modification will fix it. Another reason for the swing out door is so I can fashion some sort of bike rack

The best part about the AT is the extra standing space when the bed is deployed.

Scoutman

Explorer
I'll be interested to see how this door(s) works out for you. Are you planning on 2 or 1 large door? Dust isn't as big of a concern to me as water intrusion is. I guess I fail to see how the original design is supposed to keep water from rolling in around the tailgate and then off the liftgate when it's opened.

Entry and exit are definite concerns especially where my wife/kids are involved. I just figured a strap on the tailgate and one on the liftgate and you could pull them both shut from the inside. Middle of the night trips to the bathroom would be impossible to not disturb all in camp.

Sorry, I'm not really helping you answer your original question but finding build threads on these campers seem scarce.

primussucks

I'll be interested to see how this door(s) works out for you. Are you planning on 2 or 1 large door? Dust isn't as big of a concern to me as water intrusion is. I guess I fail to see how the original design is supposed to keep water from rolling in around the tailgate and then off the liftgate when it's opened.

Entry and exit are definite concerns especially where my wife/kids are involved. I just figured a strap on the tailgate and one on the liftgate and you could pull them both shut from the inside. Middle of the night trips to the bathroom would be impossible to not disturb all in camp.

Sorry, I'm not really helping you answer your original question but finding build threads on these campers seem scarce.

Water does roll in when you open the back lid (not sure about when opening the 'upstairs' portion).

Not sure how heavy the new tailgates are, but the one on the '06 is HEAVY!! There isn't a way you are pulling that with a strap from the inside..

I would recommend a soft open though. Dee Zee makes a air shock dampener thing for about $20... I highly recommend this.

rbrownmr2

Observer
Howdy ExpoPortal. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently acquired an AT Summit and took it on a maiden voyage through Bears Ears and into Canyonlands (Lockhart Basin and Chicken Corners)
View attachment 618516
View attachment 618519

I've done this route before, but usually in my 04 Disco. I've had my 06 Dodge platform for a while and decided we wanted to upgrade from a tent to a camper.

I only had 2 weeks from date of purchase until we left on our trip. So I quickly threw together some storage in the rear to keep our stuff organized and secure. The platforms on the right (where the folding table is located) also double as steps for my wife to climb into bed. Works pretty well actually.
View attachment 618518

My question is...
What is the best way to attach things to the insulated carpet walls on the AT? I want to add some hooks and some cubbies. I'd prefer not to penetrate the aluminum.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
We have mounted several items with velcro onto the carpet, and have placed the 3M command strip hooks on aluminum where we wanted. Threaded inserts (rivet nuts) can be added some places too, for removable/threaded mounted items.

Colby Jack

Traveler
There’s a facebook group for these. I’ve seen folks get very creative....

by puncturing the skin. A lot of folks will mount aircraft track inside and out. They mount the maxtrax exterior and then frees you up to do what you’d like interior.

Hope that helps. Love your rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles