AT Horizon Roll Call / Mods / Pics

Gormo

What Shocks is everyone using? I don't like the Napa 76839 that are currently on my Chaser, and trying to find a different part. What is the Rancho part number? Anything else worth getting?

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
What Shocks is everyone using? I don't like the Napa 76839 that are currently on my Chaser, and trying to find a different part. What is the Rancho part number? Anything else worth getting?

Just replaced mine with a new set of the Rancho R9000's...just like me, cheap & easy. ;)

IMG_9711.JPG

Picked em' up on Shame A Zon, here: https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS999113-RS9000XL-Series-Shock/dp/B0018YGOIO

Sourced that part # from the original Rancho's that came with the trailer. While I was there, also replaced the shock bolts with new stainless hardware.

mr45

Observer
Added in a rhino rack bat wing (new design of the fox wing)
I went with this one since it’s a bit lighter and I can zip the oztent Rv5 to it
And it has poles which can be staked down... seen too many of the pope less ones try to take flight, and if you can’t use it in a storm it’s kinda useless

It’s kinda huge
e8a42ac43605ba1127c14c0c897ee865.jpg
ba87b81bc35f7f3c427fb5154790d8bd.jpg

Got a pic of the awning closed? I emailed AT to see if the awning mount can take the additional weight but didn’t get a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlynch356

Defyota
My mount is aluminium - so its marginal for an awning this big i would think in heavy winds, but with the batwing you can steak down the legs and run guy lines as well from each one. On the back of the awning in the mounting channels i have a 2 canyon dancer lashing ring that can also be used to run guy lines to. (that's a reason but not the main reason they are there)

My plan is to retain the lower mounts and replace the slide tubes with longer steel ones as they are too short.
When traveling the inside steel pieces will sit on the bottom of the Aluminium outer mount. The pins will only retain it in place and not carry load when traveling. So it should be fine.

I don't have any pictures with it closed right now, the awning is on my LR3 right now.

nated

Digging this one up a bit... As a new to us horizon owner, wondering if someone might be able to measure the dimensions of the tent load bars. Looking at picking up a set of @wheeleveryweekend 's super trick tent security mounts.
In Cali right now, and the trailer is not with us.
Thanks!

mr45

Observer
ecb509025f0601f07699aacd6c19f486.jpg

Wanted to add reverse lights just make people aware I’m reversing. Only decent option I found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
I have a 2008 Horizon that I set up for my Land Rover Discovery. It's a great rig that has taken my fiance and I on adventures all over the country. We love it!

I recently picked up a Gladiator as my daily, and have realized that I no longer have a need for my Discovery. I love it but if I let it go, I can justify trying out a BMW R1200GSA...I can live with that trade! Anyway, I was going to part with the trailer as well, but am rethinking that decision.

I'm toying with the idea of a tear down and refit of my 2008, and matching it to the Gladiator. There's a couple small spots of rust I'd like to address, and I have an Alucab Gen 3 tent I might put on in lieu of the massive Eezi-awn. I'm thinking of sand blasting the frame and boxes and doing a repaint. The electrical is fine, but I'd probably replace some of the 12v sockets as they are pretty worn and redo the lighting. New seals all around. For some sweat equity and a few thousand dollars, it would be like new again.

Has anyone done this? Thinking it could be a winter project for 2020/2021. How many hours do you think it would take to strip one of these down and rebuild?

Adventure Trailer-31.jpg

Adventure Trailer-02.jpg

Adventure Trailer-24.jpg

Adventure Trailer-10.jpg

mr45

Observer
I have a 2008 Horizon that I set up for my Land Rover Discovery. It's a great rig that has taken my fiance and I on adventures all over the country. We love it!

I recently picked up a Gladiator as my daily, and have realized that I no longer have a need for my Discovery. I love it but if I let it go, I can justify trying out a BMW R1200GSA...I can live with that trade! Anyway, I was going to part with the trailer as well, but am rethinking that decision.

I'm toying with the idea of a tear down and refit of my 2008, and matching it to the Gladiator. There's a couple small spots of rust I'd like to address, and I have an Alucab Gen 3 tent I might put on in lieu of the massive Eezi-awn. I'm thinking of sand blasting the frame and boxes and doing a repaint. The electrical is fine, but I'd probably replace some of the 12v sockets as they are pretty worn and redo the lighting. New seals all around. For some sweat equity and a few thousand dollars, it would be like new again.

Has anyone done this? Thinking it could be a winter project for 2020/2021. How many hours do you think it would take to strip one of these down and rebuild?

View attachment 591098

View attachment 591099

View attachment 591100

View attachment 591101
Looks nice. Would take probably take a few wks of winter if you’re going to bare metal and a whole rebuild. Drying time between coats of paint will increase in colder weather. Paint and primer and clear... rust remediation. Sounds like a fun project. I was thinking of how to convert this to a teardrop trailer myself...
Found some rust under the powder.

Attachments

• E67864D5-FDEF-4CFF-A906-60DDE4AFB126.jpeg
    E67864D5-FDEF-4CFF-A906-60DDE4AFB126.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Burnsy949

I have a 2005 Horizon which I have used pretty extensively with my 2013 Rubicon Unlimited. I’ve taken it through White Rim Trail, the Mojave Road, and many trips in the desert and Sierras. I bought it used, and I have never loved the color (bright yellow). At least it is extremely visible on the highway!

In any case, this year I found some rust on the bottom at the front corners of the main box, and was thinking it was probably time to do a full restoration and repaint. I was thinking about using bedliner on the inside and possibly the outside of the boxes to avoid scratches and future rust. My jeep is silver and if I could find a bedliner material in a gray or silver color I think I would go for that. I would probably take the opportunity to upgrade some lighting and other electronics As well. I want to install a fuse box as well as a battery switch so I don’t have to disconnect the multiple battery connections to the solar and other various accessories when not in use.

I’m curious if you got around to doing the restoration on your trailer? If so, how did it go? I think I would probably strip down my trailer and take it to a body shop to have them bead blast, fix the rust, and then repaint with primer. Then I think I would take it to a bedliner shop and have them spray the bedliner on.

On a side note, I noticed that AT Overland no longer sells these trailers or accessories from what I can tell. I was sort of always planning to upgrade a few of the accessories on the trailer – adding a sink for example. I’m sure I can find other sources, but it was sort of disappointing to see that they no longer offer any of the accessories for these trailers.

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
I have not yet. Replaced shocks, serviced brakes and did an alignment this fall but have not done a rebuild. still thinking it through.

tenebs

reply to..."accessories on the trailer – adding a sink for example. I’m sure I can find other sources,"
You can make what you want or find the accessories. For example, you can get the manual handpump on amazon. The sink is just a small bar sink mounted on a stainless L bracket then using thimb screws to secure. Instead of a down pipe on the sink you just add a piece of hose. You can modify a propane tank mount to work with the 10lb tanks or my oreference would be to use two 5lb tanks and a powertank brackets.
I have since sold my Horizon but I have detailed pictures on my website and info about modifying a propane tank bracket and I used the same water pump on a sceptre can lid mod that I detailed as well. I don't have time to provide the direct links but the info can be found in various galleries here:

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

troubledog

I know this is an old thread but looking for some help on my hard shell JB tent mounted on my AT Horizon trailer. I've got significant vibration at highway speeds coming from the hard shell tent itself vibrating and bumping up and down on the ATH cross bars. Some pictures added for explanation. The longitudinal mounting rails moving down the bottom of my JB tent are about 26" apart. This is where the tent itself mounts to the ATH cross bars. The bottom shell of the tent overall is about 55" wide and 77" long. That leaves about 15" on each side of the rails which is not secured and about 22" front and back overhang from the cross bars. The bottom of the JB tent is a solid piece of fiberglass but with a lot of wind, that allows for significant flexing on the bottom shell on the sides (and maybe on the front/back). I can see it bouncing on the sides in my rear view mirror. At least a half-inch of gap occurs due to bouncing.

Also the ATH cross bars on my trailer seem kind of high, about 7", which is 2" higher than the stock cross bars that came with most AT trailers (according to Ryan at AT).

the vibration is significant enough to feel in steering wheel and I'm concerned that ultimately this will lead to failure of the fiberglass bottom shell itself.

Looking for options or ideas on ways to secure the tent on the sides to prevent all this vibration.

pictures attached, looking for ideas. Thanks - Dave

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member