AT Chaser Wheel Adapters

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So, I bought a used AT Chaser with Toyota wheels, would like to run JK wheels. Anyone know of a specific spacer/adapter to change the trailer to the JK wheel? Anyone have a Chaser set up the other way and want to trade?

jwiereng

I have wondered how the AT folk build the trailers to use Toyota alloy wheels.

Does you trailer have alloy wheels? Are the studs metric thread ? Do they use OEM Toyota style flange lug nuts?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have wondered how the AT folk build the trailers to use Toyota alloy wheels.

Does you trailer have alloy wheels? Are the studs metric thread ? Do they use OEM Toyota style flange lug nuts?

I haven’t dug that deep yet, although I might pull a wheel this weekend.

Yes, Alloy wheels. If I pull a wheel I can answer the thread question but I wouldn’t know how to tell a Toyota OEM lug nut from aftermarket unless they have a logo or part number.

jwiereng

Here is a photo of OEM style nut.

Circled is what I have on 4Runner. Other is from rav4.

Appears to be designed to work on two different kinds of wheels, note the taper at the bottom. Seems like it will suit alloy wheel and tapered seat wheels. 4Runner and Tacoma have steel spare wheels from factory with tapered seats.

F8134797-3F5B-4A64-9541-ADAAF18A4F98.jpeg

It is my desire to use the OEM style nuts. I wish to use alloy Toyota wheels on trailer and be able to use steel spare if nessisary.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I got into some other projects and haven’t pulled a wheel, but the alloys on it are 6 lug, 16”, with a Toyota logo on the center cap and the nuts look to be full depth of the wheel, similar to the one circled in your photo. I’ll circle back when I get there.

jwiereng

thanks naters

If it turns out that AT does in fact use OEM style nuts I wonder if the lug studs they use would fit into Dexter trailer axle.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Kids wanted to go to the Ocean today, so all projects went on hold while we threw rocks in the water for hours on end. Good news... I can still out-throw a 2-year old girl!

I don’t know where you live, but there are a couple of major trailer parts suppliers in California, and just walking up to the counter with your question might get you the ability to field check the parts right then and there. East Sacramento has a huge one, Fresno has a smaller one, LA must have several.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Here is a photo of OEM style nut.

Circled is what I have on 4Runner. Other is from rav4.

Appears to be designed to work on two different kinds of wheels, note the taper at the bottom. Seems like it will suit alloy wheel and tapered seat wheels. 4Runner and Tacoma have steel spare wheels from factory with tapered seats.

View attachment 567462

It is my desire to use the OEM style nuts. I wish to use alloy Toyota wheels on trailer and be able to use steel spare if nessisary.

I pulled a wheel tonight. The trailer (2007 AT Chaser) has aluminum spacers about 2” thick and m12x1.5 wheel studs pressed into them. They have log nuts similar to the ones on the left in your picture. Meaning, they have a washer, a straight section with a tiny taper at the end, and the closed body is about the same length as the thread plus washer portion.

They were a PITA to reinstall.

jwiereng

Thanks. Seems like spacers is the most sensible way to go. I was hoping that a trailer builder AT would have a more elegant solution.

OTOH, elegance is not always primary objective. Obviously AT has many different customers with many different desires to mount many different types of truck wheels onto trailers. Spacers probably are the best for them. Lots of nice products from AT, I have no doubt they know what they are doing.

I already have a custom axle. I wish I had known this issue a head of time. It would be very easy to spec the axle narrower to accommodate the spacers.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would start by adding the spacers and seeing what happens. You could probably get as narrow as an inch before you had any issues and I doubt you could see that difference in 90% of real world situations.

After that, you could have the axle cut in the center and narrowed, or buy another bare tube with spindles (cheap) and move all of your hub parts over.

Ultimately, I would much rather my trailer use standard trailer parts than some proprietary hub just to make pretty wheels fit.

However, if I end up building a custom trailer I will probably use the unitized hubs from the front of my tow vehicle to get everything to be simple (but not cheap) and then I will need electric over hydraulic brakes (very not cheap).

Have fun. I have a set of spacers wheels and lug nuts to swap if someone finds the JK ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles