AT Bobcat, going solar. How did you mount your panels?

Finally got to get with it and get some solar going. Camper is wired for it from AT, so sounds like ill just need panels and a controller.

I have plug ins at the rear and roof of the camper. I was hoping to be able to use some freestanding or tripod setup until spring/summer is back, then i can tear into mounting panels on the roof.

How have the AT and FWC people been mounting their panels, and what have you been doing to avoid leaks in your roof mounts?

I live in Tahoe area, we get lots of snow and sun and falling pinecones as well as wind. i def want to mount it well, to ward off leaks and to keep them on tight as possible. the interstate here has speed limits up to 80 mph, i want to be able to do that, or be able to cruise at 70mph in these conditions. Lots of winds in my area too, so quality mounts are worth $ to me for sure.

SameGuy

Observer
I did a version of this guys idea last spring, driven about 8000 miles in all conditions and can say as of now, it is as solid as the day I did the install.

larryqp

Full-time RVer
I just mounted two Rigid Renogy 100 watt panels on my FWC. I ordered my FWC Hawk with Yakima roof rails, but you can have them added or do it yourself. Next I ordered additional Yakima "A" nuts from eTrailer.com, so I would have plenty available for not only mounting the panels, but for the roof racks as well as well as some tie downs. I purchased 8 ft, 1" square aluminum tubing, appropriate sized bolts to fit the "A" nuts, ( I believe they were 6mm machine hex bolts). The tubing etc was available at Loew's. I then bolted the panels to the Aluminum tubing using the nuts and bolts, then bolted the aluminum tubing to the yakima roof rails using the bolts and "A" nuts. The "A" nuts slide into the rails from the end.

I did the same thing on my previous FWC and drove highway speeds for over 3 years, never had a problem. In fact in July when the truck rolled twice at highway speeds, the panels were destroyed, but still attached to the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94