Astro 4x4 Adventure VAN

Sharkfox

Observer
I spent a little time exploring trails in the Black Hills National Forest.
If you can avoid the common tourist traps in the Black Hills, there is a lot of land to explore. I found some good spots to spend a few nights outside of Hill City and near Jewel Cave.

I was finally starting to settle into this lifestyle so I decided to make a video tour of the VAN so far.

[video=vimeo;103169720]https://vimeo.com/103169720[/video]

nobodyhome

Adventurer
HAA! yeah cool vid, thanks for sharing Sharkfox. :bowdown:

Question- Do you remember the part info on the drawer sliders? Look like they would work for my kitchen design, but everything I can find commercially is frickin expensive... hoping you had better luck.

I'm BRAND NEW to vans and Overlanding (proud old school Jeeper), building up an '03 now and have been getting ideas from your project, thanks for sharing brudda.

Sharkfox

Observer
HAA! yeah cool vid, thanks for sharing Sharkfox. :bowdown:

Question- Do you remember the part info on the drawer sliders? Look like they would work for my kitchen design, but everything I can find commercially is frickin expensive... hoping you had better luck.

I'm BRAND NEW to vans and Overlanding (proud old school Jeeper), building up an '03 now and have been getting ideas from your project, thanks for sharing brudda.

Thanks Nobodyhome.
I'll see what I can dig up for you on the drawer slides. What length are you looking for? My shorter (side door) ones were reasonable but I think I had to bite the bullet and pay considerably for the long ones.

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Thanks Nobodyhome.
I'll see what I can dig up for you on the drawer slides. What length are you looking for? My shorter (side door) ones were reasonable but I think I had to bite the bullet and pay considerably for the long ones.

You da MAN! I just got a PM with an amazon link, 50" with a 49.5" throw for only around $50 for the set... waaay better price as most were over $300+! That seller also had various other sizes rated up to 400lbs... THATS what I'm talkin 'bout!
Thanks anyhow, keep the videos coming, gracias.

Last edited:

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Nice rig! Now, I have one question that I always asked every Safari/Astro owner out there and I get mixed results...how hard is it to work on the engine? I've heard that it has the cramped engineering of a Subaru, but i've also heard (manly from owners in Mexico oddly..) that the Astro is no worse than any sedan to work on. Looking at your photos, it can't BE that bad...

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Great build, thanks for sharing.

I was just thinking about the Astro's recently for hauling my own XR400R around.

The magnetic bug net outside the window's is a great addition.

Sharkfox

Observer
Tell me more about the bug screen! What glue used to stick magnet with the net, any tips on building one. :)

The bug screens were made from some industrial adhesive. It worked great but eventually started to fail after repeated folding from storage. I think a better option would be to sew the magnets into a hem.

Sharkfox

Observer
I spent a couple days around Pike National Forest in Colorado.
Lots of dilapidated mining structures around that area.

Caught a few lunkers too...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Nice rig! Now, I have one question that I always asked every Safari/Astro owner out there and I get mixed results...how hard is it to work on the engine? I've heard that it has the cramped engineering of a Subaru, but i've also heard (manly from owners in Mexico oddly..) that the Astro is no worse than any sedan to work on. Looking at your photos, it can't BE that bad...

Nah... they are easy to work on - the body comes right off the engine/drivetrain :)

GEDC0236.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior