Astro 4x4 Adventure VAN

Sharkfox

Observer
Thanks guys. Like every project, its a continual work in progress.
I'll try to get a picture of the linkage this weekend.

Sharkfox

Observer
I needed a way to contain the jack and some tools in the back of my empty box of a van. I got sick of everything rattling around in a Rubbermaid tub so I built a storage box. I had some indoor/outdoor carpet left over from building the walls so I wrapped the box with it. Anyone that has built anything inside of a van knows that NOTHING is square or straight. Templates quickly become your best friend.

It's not often that things work out like this...
I originally built the storage box to some arbitrary dimensions that I was confident would fit my tools and jack. This might be skipping a few months and build steps but eventually the need for an auxiliary battery arose. Extended camping trips and the option of cabin lights and a refrigerator made it a necessity.
Luckily the battery fit (barely) into the box. I also installed a T-Max controller and a fuse block in the box to handle all the accessories.

That last picture kind of spills the beans for the next post..

Sharkfox

Observer
Thanks guys! Ask and you shall receive.
I'm trying to keep this as chronological as possible. Like I've stated many times already, all this work has been complete for quite a while so I'm playing catch up.
The next steps might make more sense with a little background.
About a year and a half ago I decided to quit my mundane, repetitive engineering job. I wanted to see some of the country while I was still relatively young and not tied down with family and property maintenance. It didn't help that I was spending most of my time at the office perusing endless builds and trip reports on here.
Sooo, I put in my 2 week notice without a plan and began feverishly building my VAN for a trip.
I had a very basic idea of what I wanted/needed.
  • A place to sleep
  • Storage
  • A small fridge
  • Water
  • Basic camping items
Generally building at a "feverish" pace doesn't result in a quality outcome. It was always a compromise between my ideal outcome and what I could realistically accomplish with the given timeframe.

The next step after the battery installation was to install a panel for all the electrical components.
I wanted a USB and standard cigarette lighter type of outlets for charging various items. I found a nice little panel on Amazon. I cut a small piece of scrap wall paneling to fit the area next to the door to mount it.

There was a hole in that pillar from the factory, it just required a little bit of trimming to get the outlet to fit.

I also put in a couple of switches and wrapped it with carpet to complete the motif.

Pretty simple. The location allowed me to run wires up that hollow pillar and into the fuse panel or wherever I needed to easily.

Sharkfox

Observer
The two switches on the electrical panel control interior lights and my water pump.

I installed a 10 gallon fresh water tank underneath the VAN where the spare tire used to hang. I built a cradle out of steel angle that fits the perimeter of the tank. The vertical bent legs bolt to flanges on the bottom of the VAN's body.

The water tank fits snugly and these arms plus a strap hold the tank in the cradle securely.

Here is the tank bolted up for a test fit.
At this point, my fill hose, pump, plumbing and wiring still need to be sorted out. It fits up close to the VAN floor and has a lower profile than the original spare tire.

Sharkfox

Observer
Since the water tank took the place of the spare tire, I had to find a new spot for it.
There is no quick or stock way to mount a tire on an Astro van. I didn't like the whole idea of a swing away tire carrier that had to be unlatched each time the doors were opened. The only way to make the door and the tire carrier swing together is to have them share the same rotation axis which happens to be the door hinge pins.
Removing the pins was a project in itself and probably the most difficult part of the project.
First I tried tapping them out with a punch and hammer. Nothing.
Then I tried pressing them out with a home made press I built out of a large C-clamp....Bent the C-clamp.
So I finally decided to buy the right tool for the job. A small press similar to a chain link tool. I sucked it up and paid the price. A few days later, the tool came. I made short work of....the tool. It broke too!!
Finally I got out the trusty hack saw. There was just enough clearance between the hinge knuckles to slip the blade in. I cut the hinge pins, pulled the door out and tapped the remaining pin parts out of the hinge.

On to the tire carrier...Finally.

I used some rectangular tubing and a couple snug fitting 3/8" bolts to get started. The tape on the door was an attempt to save the paint.

The other end is bolted on the inside of the door. Nothing goes through the rear door skin.
This was just tacked in place. It got majorly trimmed later.

Here it is with the doors closed.
It's really close but there isn't any interference.

This is the rough upper portion of the tire carrier in place.

The lower portion connected the lower hinge and the bolted plate.

Since the lower section crossed the compound curve of the door, it couldn't be a straight section.
I cut a V-shaped notch in the tube, bent, and rewelded it.

Next I started fabbing up the tire mount.
A couple pieced of tubing cut at the right angles worked out pretty well. The only thing to take into account was the distance from the wheels mounting surface to the inner edge of the tire.

I match marked the bolt pattern on the disk and drilled some pilot holes in the mounting plate.
Other parts got trimmed and sharp corners got chamfered.

It's tight but doesn't touch the door anywhere.

I pulled it off for paint and wheel studs.

Painted and back on the VAN.
Made it look easy right?

Wheel is on like it was "designed" for it.
...Rear mounted spare....plus 5 EXPO points.

Reactions: BSR

86scotty

Cynic
Just found this thread. I have fond memories of my Safari (Astro) AWD work van. Unfortunately it took awhile for the mechanics to figure out some issues with that thing but when it was running good it was awesome. They really are quite capable little vans.

Really nice work!

mezmochill

Is outside
Great job so far! I'd protect the water tank with some thin gauge sheet to prevent punctures.

I may steal your tire carrier design:)

Sharkfox

Observer
Go for it. I've been really happy with the tire carrier. It's solid and doesn't add any extra steps to accessing the rear of the van.

I always intended to add some sort of skid plate to the water tank but still haven't gotten around to it.
I'm considering selling VAN soon so that's on the short list of minor projects to finish off before it goes on the block..

laz 1

Observer
FANTASTIC THREAD!
GREAT DIY SKILLS!
Very neat and tidy transfer case swap.
Inspires me to do one like it eventually, but still too many other upgrades on my AWD SAFARI bucket list that must come first.

I am on my 4th ASTRO/SAFARI VAN and really enjoyed seeing some of your upgrades and the way you progressed in your build.
My current build is a MICRO motorhome conversion of a 2000 AWD SAFARI. After doing way too many camperised van interiors, I FIND IT EASIER TO CUT OFF THE BODY AND BUILD A SQUARE BOX.
PLUS, you get so much more interior space.

PS: I did a 2" lift in the front but instead of tweaking the torsion bars, I trimmed about 1 1/2" out of my wheel wells. That way I keep the center of gravity as low as possible on my too tall big box van.

Larry Z

Sharkfox

Observer
Still trying to catch up on this build......
This was the first rendition of my interior "build". Like I've stated numerous times before, this was all dreamt of and built in a miniscule time frame. Its basically a box with sliding storage drawers. One slides out the rear doors and one slides out the side door.
It worked out really well for its intended purpose and lack of planning.
Here's the storage box inside the VAN.

So where was I going to sleep you ask?
No, not on top of the storage box. ABOVE the storage box.
I fabricated a front mounting point and hooked up the hammock.

Trimmed the interior molding to fit.

The hammock hangs from the front mount and the rear door catch. Perfect fit.
The best part is I can have gear, luggage, etc. on the storage box and still deploy the "bed" without having to put everything away.

Pretty comfortable too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94