Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop build

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Pikeman, I really appreciate the compliment. I have learned dealing with off road trailers that anything can happen. I am delivering this one to Montana. I do not want to get there and have to work on it. The customer was fine with me shipping it, but I think it is important for the customer to know what everything is, where it is at, and understand why things were done a certain way. What they can do in case of a problem on the trail.

I have had the galley light on for two days now, and fridge running at 37-41 degrees, the light is a 18 inch florescent two tube light, it draws between 1.9 and 2.1 amps it seems. The fridge when running seems to be at 4.1 under load, 3.8 when keeping time so to speak. I you open it and leave it open for a few minutes, the charge controller tells me how much it is drawing to get back to the 41 degree level. Anyway the battery started off at 12.8 and has dropped to 12.5 in that time period. State of charge is still excellent. I will continue running it until it reaches 12.1. Then recharge with the Progressive Dynamics system in the trailer and see how long it takes. It is a smart device so i I hope it is very quick. We will see.

Old Sarge

Observer
Yea it seems the ones I build them for, never seem to post much on here. No complaints or compliments. I guess that is okay, it is theirs. I become pretty close friends with them, and camp with them. Mine draw a different group than most on here it seems. Older guys, that are getting more into being comfortable. I will keep you in the loops silver.

DT, I think maybe you have missed the opportunity. I think this will be my last one like this. I am looking at Aframes and a four sided idea for folding trailer.

I like to be able to stand up inside, cook inside is easier for the wife. I am not sure. I am supposed to build two more, but one put off until December and the other does not want to move up. So I have 3-4 months of not doing much. I do not take deposits until I am ready to start their build, so who knows they may change their minds and I might change mine.. Just do not like holding on to someone's money like that. I know all the others do, but I don't.

I will be riding my bike, will have more time to train for the Senior Games in October. Adding 400 meter free style to the cycling and mountain biking this year. Had to give up the track sprints with the knee replacements. But can do swimming no problem. I used to swim that in the Marine Corps, so will see how it turns out.

The wife thinks I am crazy for doing this at all. She says, your retired, worked your whole life, go play. Not sure I am capable of that yet. But may consider it. lol

Just finished one sliding door, very tight. A little concerned but I made these different, you have to unscrew the bottom rail to remove them. Will try some graphite and see what happens, may have to take it back off and sand it down some. I had wanted to use 3M emblem tape, but just can not get it to work. Works great on the top, but gets stuck going in and can not get the door straight. Oh well, ideas, got millions of them, wish more worked!!!!!

I have enjoyed the heck out of mine so far! Sadly, I haven't gotten out this year the way I wanted too! I had to back out of a 15 day trip in May due to finances. I'm taking 3 1/2 weeks off in July for Moab, the FJ Summit and a week of camping in the mountains of Colorado (or maybe join Jon and AllPro on his trip after the Summit). By the way Bob and others who are curious, I'm 51 and sleep like a baby in my camper! :)

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
thanks for the kind words Sarge, I am glad you are having fun with it, when time allows. I hope to be there around that time to, not going to the Summit, but should be in the area. Will stop and see friends, but have ran the trails so many times, I want to see what is around Silverton and over in the 14ers. Go south for a change. I wanted to expand that way last year, but never found any interest.

My trailers are narrower than the others, and the reason is the difficult trails have narrow areas, that a 60 inch cabin would hit on the top. Having the Restava memory foam in the trailers, keeps you from flopping around, so the cabin seems to fit every one. My wife and I have a king at home, and have no problems sleeping in ours. But she likes the idea of two doors.. So I will be building one for us, or an Aframe type.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Oh I by the way, the battery went to 12.2, but state of charge went to caution, so plugged it in an hour ago. That dropped because I was running the water pump continuously looking for the leak. Well I found it, what a moron. I dropped both skids and crawled around for at least a half hour under it. Dried the water off, blew air for at least 10 minutes, no leak, ran the water for a couple of minutes, and there the sucker was, in the drain for the holding tank. The drain level is an inch above the bottom, so only when it had enough water to run out to the drain, it leaked. It was driving me nuts. Fixed it and put on the rear skid so far. Will head back out early in the morning as it goes for graphics tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Finished up the silicone except for the galley. Want to clean the shop up before I do it. Bright white with dirt in it does not look good in the kitchen. Ran all the screw covers, finished the sliders and adjusted the rear door. Still have the seal to put on the lower part.

Tail light ran under the wood, when it is done, all you see are the bolts, and ground wire. I silicone them under the glass to.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 002.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 004.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 005.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 005.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 006.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build silicone, back door 006.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 93

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
And the first ray of sun light hits the Montana bound Ouray Base Camp. Just barely cleared the garage door, but drug it out this morning. Headed to DMV, graphics, bring it back and over the weekend, clean every nook and cranny. Plan to deliver it to Montana on Monday. Customer said it could be shipped, no problem. I like to deliver my trailers, explain everything that is different, the reasons for the things I do. How to over come a problem if it develops. Show them the electrical, wiring harness, fuse panel, breaker panel, how to shut of the water tank, drain the holding tank. Removal of the skids.
This trailer has:
Structural steel frame, 120 box on lower
Integrated upper steel frame, welded, not bolted to the main frame
Front counter/shelf
Full skids covering water tank and holding tank
Wiring soldered and shrink wrapped, grounds bolted or screwed individually for every component
Fiber Glass side, roof and galley door, by Eclipse RV manufacturing
110 watt solar panel, with stand
Morningstar Digital 15 amp controller
Marinco 12 volt solar input 15 amp
Marinco 110 shore line power access
Progressive Dynamics, electrical control, inverter, converter and charge control, smart battery maintenance
Chairman 255 amp hour AGM military grade battery
5 110 electrical outlets
4 12 volt outlets
2 outside lights
Cabin 12 volt fluorescent light
Galley 12 volt 18 inch fluorescent light
Micro Wave,
Sink
Two burner stove
Dometic fridge
ARB slider
5 action packers
Propex Propane heater
Fantastic Fan, rain and temperature controlled
Restava 9 inch memory foam mattress
Two 805 series doors by Hehr doors
Hi Lift jack and rack
Spare Tire Rack and extra jack attachment points
Shur Flow on demand water pump, switched
42 gallons of water at axle level
18 gallon grey water holding tank at axle level
6 gallon Suburban hot water heater
electronic monitoring system for fresh and grey water
Rhino Roof Rack
Foxwing awning
FMB side box
2700 pound Dexter TorFlex torsion axle with electric brakes (military grade)
Rear attachment points
axle attachment points
thermometer with wireless fridge node
quick connect propane attachement
Out door shower
One piece front and roof, no seams anywhere on the front or top.
Gas struts for rear door
Grab handles
removable fenders
bearing buddies
expanded metal attachment areas in front of the fenders and behind

All hand made, not computer generated or assembled else where. Hand made in America.

Strongest off road Tear Drop trailer made.

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 002.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 88
  • Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 003.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, the firs sunny day of existance 004.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That looks awesome and you delivering it to show him how it all works is amazing! He BETTER be happier than a 5 dic...uh, penised monkey! lol!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks guys for the positive comments. I know how critical you guys are of what shows up here.

I want you all to know that I will no longer be a supporting sponsor of the site. Just too much money for the amount of trailers that I build. I will be on, with anything I might build, but will no longer advertise so to speak. I will be here under the skersfan logon and will to try to help anyone that needs help, ideas or comments.

On this trailer I tried to show as much as would be interesting during the build. I am not worried about some copying me or that I give away a trade secret. Building trailers has gone on since the Roman, actually quite a bit farther back, nothing new, still the same idea.I am supposed to pick it up this afternoon from AVIWraps. They are doing the graphics on it. It will be like mine, but with a Titanium color to match the customers FJ. I will have pictures this afternoon or early evening.

I towed it with my FJ at 85 mph, no sway hop, movement at all, it can be moved by hand. I will admit though not easily. 35 gallons of water has some weight. But I can physically pick up the tongue. Still have a little to do with it, but wanted the registration out of the way, and the graphics on it. I remembered of all things, just can not imagine, but more silicone. DUH I think I am close to 30 tubes of high end GE lifetime silicone in this puppy. It better not leak, evah!!!!

I hope you guys have enjoyed the build as much as I enjoyed doing it, and remember if I can be of any help to any of you, just let me know.

Bob

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
A few more pictures, with graphics, logos and the rear skid and the exhaust for the Propex Propane heater. There is a6 inch rise to the heater. The height at the exhaust is 22 inches. So it would have to be very deep water to enter. I think duct tape over it when fording would be wise. It can not be operated while moving due to no access to propane. It is electronic and will throw codes if the exhaust is plugged for any reason. Pretty kool little unit. Putting one in my trailer before the Summit.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop graphics 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop graphics 001.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Kelly Tear Drop graphics 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop graphics 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Kelly Tear Drop graphics 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop graphics 003.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Kelly Tear Drop graphics 004.jpg