Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop build

Old Sarge

Observer
Sorry, the 110 plug in post# 98. Sorry to hear that your having so much of an issue with the heater. I have only had my trailer out in temps in the low thirties and it really wasn't much of an issue, just closed one of the windows and ran the heater for 15 mins or so and it was nice and toasty! It really is insulated with the carpet. I don't know if I'll make it to TOTH, I would like to go to Sedonafest. We will see what work has for me and of course the money! :)

silvrzuki77

explorer
Would have been cool to run the rotoback horizontal and place a set of mattraxs above or below them. Still looks great though!! Hope mine can be 1/3rd as nice lol.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, I like your idea. Great idea as a matter of fact. Will look at that on the next one. Not a standard feature on the trailer but will design the frame to accommodate them that way. Thank you for your comments, I truly appreciate them.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I plan on Sedonafest to. And we may be in the area for the Summit. I think we will be camping at the that lake just outside of Telluride, but not certain yet. Will hit trails more towards Durango and Pagosa Springs this year if we go. Will let you know Curt.

Bob

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Cool build!! Felt the desire to peep in after you were kind enough to offer the great advice on my thread. :) I actually just read through the entire thread here...very neat build!
I'm curious to see how the rear door/hatch thing is made. I may be hitting you up for some ideas... :)

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
My rear doors are bent steel bows with locks welded into the frame. The fiberglass with one sheet luan and flexible bend area. Not as strong as the sides and front, but I have never hit mine, and on the newer ones have a two inch bumper built into the frame below. I use a typical tear drop hinge and a rubber seal. It has been rain proof and fording proof so far, but does leak in through the locks, and I do not see a way of stopping that, but has been very minimal. I will be building the rear door hopefully still during the weekend. Have a bike ride in the morning, and it is a tough one. May run out of energy before getting it done. But will give pictures of it as it develops. Unfortunately I can not powder coat it as I am concerned about the locks. Will no for sure Tuesday.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Romer. Appreciate the compliment.

Have finished a lot of the little things, about to start on the rear door and the sealing of the rear roof above the door. Still have some ground wire to run for the lights, and will be changing out the running lights. I just do not like them, the way they look nor the quality of them. Small time set back, but in the end worth the improvement. Finished the upper curve in the front and have it all siliconed and ready for trim. Want to finish the rear door before I start the trim. The interior is almost done except for two pieces of carpet that fits in the curves. Also running a cable in for TV and have to put the cover on it and do the driver side wall penetration. Will get most of that done this evening I hope. Some pictures later.

Bob
951 692 0958

www.aspenXtrails.com

Pikeman

Adventurer
Sounds like you have made some good progress on the trailer and it is in the final stages of completion. I am sure the customer will be very happy with their new trailer.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Pikeman.

I decided some might not know what I am building so I drug the old beast out from under the tarp, hosed her down, and shot some pictures. Still not a trail scratch on the trailer after 18K plus.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop build 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build 002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 77
  • Kelly Tear Drop build 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build 003.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Kelly Tear Drop build 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build 004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 72

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thank You sir!!!!. At my age, another one is a blessing I guess. Going to dinner with friends, then back to work on this trailer.

Have gotten a lot done.

Rhino Rack is on, Fox Wing is on, Roto Pax are on. All running lites are soldered, shrink wrapped and siliconed. Still have putty tape to do on the driver side top trim. The side box is on, moved it to the other side due to the water heater being so close, did not open properly. Gabe at SoCal Tear Drops was kind enough to send me their custom hinge. A lot different than the regular one, so still working on how to use it and not have a leak. Really nice design geared mechanism.

Attachments

• Kelly Build 001.jpg
    Kelly Build 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Build 002.jpg
    Kelly Build 002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Kelly Build 003.jpg
    Kelly Build 003.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 66
  • Kelly Build 004.jpg
    Kelly Build 004.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Build 006.jpg
    Kelly Build 006.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 61

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Gabe, if I can not figure it out over the weekend I will give you a call Monday. I have an idea, will know in the morning. That is one very nice unit. I will incorporate them into my trailers. Again thanks for all your help.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Finishing this puppy up.

Following are in compartment front running lights. Wired, grounded individually, shrink wrapped and siliconed, will be beneath aluminum insulation barrier. Back wall control panel, all breakers assigned, except last one which is for the AC. Wiring ran to the roof, but not connected to breaker, capped. All 12 volt components are assigned, number two is for the stereo, pre wired, but not installed. No fuse, so no chance of short.

Back wall as it will appear and front counter with action packers in place, solar panel in carrying position, under counter. The owner is a wood worker so he will apply finish.

Still have to seal the Roto Pax, they will have silicone around a O ring for each hole and 3m anti skid to keep bracket from rubbing the fiber glass, pictures tomorrow on that. Still have to bolt inside fender mounts, install mattress and the cabin is done.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 001.jpg
    Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 002.jpg
    Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 002.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 55
  • Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 003.jpg
    Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 003.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Kelly Build, running lights, control panel, b wall, f counter 004.jpg