Asheville, NC to Pigeon Forge, TN

JakeMate

Adventurer
I'm planning a trip to Dollywood in TN. I'm looking for some ideas between Asheville, NC and Pigeon Forge, TN.

• Dirt roads to explore. I've found Heintooga Ridge Rd off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any other ideas?
  • Things to see and do. I'd like to see the Elk in Catalooche. Any other cool things to see?

• Short hikes or scenic vistas.

• Anything else worth seeing.

Here's a general idea of the route.

Google Maps Link

Thanks.

nc_tom

You might like the Harmon Den area - lots of dirt roads. Max Patch is out there - short hike, 360 view. Google for Harmon Den, NC. Enjoy!

Bretthn

Explorer
You should check out Mt Mitchel. It is the highest peak east of the Mississippi. We are trying to make it out in the next couple of weeks.

JakeMate

Adventurer
We've been to Mt. Mitchell already. That Harmon Den and Max Patch sounds good though. I've gotten a few other recommendations for that area also.

Thanks.

JakeMate

Adventurer
How did you like Mt. Mitchel?

It was OK. It was a few years ago. We didn't do much there at the time. I think we just hit the restaurant at the top. It was pretty cold when we we there and didn't do any hiking or anything.

JakeMate

Adventurer

ndrenfro

The max patch area has a nice trail called hurricane creek road. Heading west on I-40 towards TN, just after MM 8 (I think) is a dirt road directly off the interstate. That is hurricane creek road. Follow it up and it will lead you to Max Patch mountain. A good fun trail in the trees with several creek crossings, some rocky sections, and the view from the top is incredible.

Last edited:

JakeMate

Adventurer
Did Hurricane Creek Road. An awesome trail with several creek crossings and many rocky areas. 4Lo is pretty much required. There are many places where the Mountain Laurel is very low hanging but its passable.

A question about Max Patch though. There is a gate at the base of Turkey Trot Road with a No Trespassing sign on it. There doesn't seem to be another way to the top. Is there a way up from Wesley Creek Road?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
If you do Max Patch, PLEASE make sure you check the weather - folks are killed at Max Patch each year due to lightning strikes. It is a very open and vulnerable area albeit BEAUTIFUL.
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier