ASBESTOS

billiebob

This is a very good article but it misses what to do with asbestos contaminated material. As one of the more dangerous construction demolition materials every state, province, municipality will have very detailed directions on how to package it and where to dispose of it.

In BC landfills have a specific spot to accept it. In BC abestos MUST be double bagged in specific bags which are both sealed shut with tape. The process is pretty simple and well worth following. The health of your family might be affected. There are also very specific directions on how to work with asbestos. This article is a bit short on that direction too but once again, your state, province WCB will have the directions for working with asbestos safely. The internet is NEVER the spot to trust when dealing with hazardous materials.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I work as a consultant in the industry. Unless the camper is 1950s or older, I would suspect the most likely asbestos in most camper trailers is the backing of sheet vinyl flooring, and even then I wouldn't really expect to find it after the 1970s.

Alloy

I work as a consultant in the industry. Unless the camper is 1950s or older, I would suspect the most likely asbestos in most camper trailers is the backing of sheet vinyl flooring, and even then I wouldn't really expect to find it after the 1970s.

In Canada it was still being sold in late 80's and early 90's. In a RV it might be found any number of places ( engine heat sheilding, the wrap on exhaust manifolds, brake shoes, ceing tiles, floor tiles, wall board, tile grout) if it was purchased for a DIY project in the 80s.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Basically don’t grind it, don’t sand it, don’t blow it out with air.

It can be found in vinyl flooring, some old sheet stuff and the old 9x9 tiles, transite pipes, roofing mastic.

We even found it in plaster, it turns out that when the gun spraying plaster would start to clog they would throw some in the hopper to clean it out.

Pipe insulation is the worst, the straight runs were manufactured and can be handled easily. The fittings are another story. They would mix the asbestos with water to create a paste and cover the fittings and then wrap it with cloth tape now the stuff has dried out and can easily get into the air.

If you keep it wet with water it is best and dispose of everything

If you are concerned take samples and have them tested.

When I started working on my house, it dates to the late 1800’s, I had everything that was suspect tested and it all came back negative but I still dampened the multiple old vinyl floors when I removed them. Striped it all the way down to the original painted wood floor.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
In Canada it was still being sold in late 80's and early 90's. In a RV it might be found any number of places ( engine heat sheilding, the wrap on exhaust manifolds, brake shoes, ceing tiles, floor tiles, wall board, tile grout) if it was purchased for a DIY project in the 80s.
Yes, many non-friable asbestos materials are still legal in the US even now. I was speaking of what is likely, but there are many many possible asbestos materials, as it was used in thousands of products. Even after 30+ years in the industry once in a while I get surprised by what can have asbestos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94