Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
What do you guys think of this one?

Prescotttrailertesting281.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Tim,
Great little flower. I like the side lighting, and the texture it brings out of the pettles. I wish the flower were not in the center of the image. Left side would be better, as the light is coming from the right. Nice Macro view, and ground squirrel perspective. :luxhello:

Photog

Explorer
Here is one for the "artistic" list.
It is back lit, an has a black background. Maximum contrast, and detail.
LMP_2051crsmall2.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Photog said:
Tim,
Great little flower. I like the side lighting, and the texture it brings out of the pettles. I wish the flower were not in the center of the image. Left side would be better, as the light is coming from the right. Nice Macro view, and ground squirrel perspective. :luxhello:

Thank you sir! I really respect your opinion. More fun ideas for me to try while learning!
I like it because its totally un-retouched and it came out nicely, but I agree. I think a little different placement would have made it more interesting.

DanL

The shots in this thread are great first off. Here are the best contributions I can come up with:
DSC_0008PicasaEdit.jpg

I can see how it looks better to me than others.

DSC_0031Edit1.jpg

Simple stupid Picasa edit, but I like it....

Dan

Rob O

Adventurer
5630 seconds

Shot while in Pinetop, AZ over Memorial Day weekend; the only clear night.

This is a 5630 second (94 minute) exposure, shot at f/16, 12mm, ISO 100.

There's a lit cabin camera right which provided ambient light to the trees above (and added some light pollution in the lower right of frame). There was a constant breeze, protected at camera level but causing the trees to sway toward the tops ... hence the blur.

In hind sight, while I loved the perspective here, I wished I'd composed with more open sky to afford more stars and, therefore, more pronounced trails. As shot here, there's a relatively small window of sky, so only a few stars passed "through" it. I also would have moved further from the ambient light source as well, which I think diluted the number of stars visible (through the lens).

I was also shocked with the level of noise, even for an hour and a half exposure, given it was quite cool out (no chance of overheating the sensor) and set to ISO100.

2536714444_0be9e8125b_o.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
This was a toughy. It was getting dark, and I was leaning over the railing on the 14th floor of a hotel, hand holding the camera, waiting for cars. I got lucky as 4 vehicles all going in different directions moved through the lights at the same time.

276927427_oTzkQ-L.jpg

Rob O

Adventurer
Awesome capture!

Lost Canadian said:
This was a toughy. It was getting dark, and I was leaning over the railing on the 14th floor of a hotel, hand holding the camera, waiting for cars. I got lucky as 4 vehicles all going in different directions moved through the lights at the same time.

276927427_oTzkQ-L.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Rob O said:

Rob,
This is a very cool shot. From your text, is sounds like you wanted the star streaks to be the subject. As it turned out, the trees are the subject, and without your info, we would all be wondering how you got the trees lit, and had star trails.

As for the low noise issue: Many of the DSLR cameras use a "Dark Slide" to get rid of noise, in long exposures. It works like this - After the initial image is done, the camera turns the sensor back on (mirror down and shutter closed) for the same or similar amount of time, as the initial shot. There will be color noise recorded on this "Dark Slide". The camera then subtracts the data on the "Dark Slide", from the first image file. It works very well, but the camera is on for a long time, and it can kill a battery, before it is finished.

Very cool, either way.:wings:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Color line over form.

I find that images which are composed using color line over form line are sometimes equally or more intriguing. While having that thought in my head I came across this single rose sitting up out in front of its leafy green backdrop. So of course I had to prove the thought to myself so I pulled out my camera and moving it in small circles using a 7 second exposure I effectively painted this shot. Any watercolor fans here?

309795276_tKfYy-L.jpg

Last edited:

Rob O

Adventurer
Photog said:
Rob,
This is a very cool shot. From your text, is sounds like you wanted the star streaks to be the subject. As it turned out, the trees are the subject, and without your info, we would all be wondering how you got the trees lit, and had star trails.

As for the low noise issue: Many of the DSLR cameras use a "Dark Slide" to get rid of noise, in long exposures. It works like this - After the initial image is done, the camera turns the sensor back on (mirror down and shutter closed) for the same or similar amount of time, as the initial shot. There will be color noise recorded on this "Dark Slide". The camera then subtracts the data on the "Dark Slide", from the first image file. It works very well, but the camera is on for a long time, and it can kill a battery, before it is finished.

Very cool, either way.:wings:

Thanks Brian.

Regarding noise, I actually turned off the camera's LE NR for these because I've found it offers marginal help in suppressing noise on images over 5 minutes yet adds 2x the time to shoot because of the in-camera processing. So I'd have had to wait nearly an hour for the camera to run between my first and second shots. When I did star trails over the Superstitions last summer I used LE NR function and it took forever ... without tangible benefit. YMMV. ;)

Oh, and on the battery life thing, I took the 1-hour and this subsequent 1.5 hour shots on the same charge and the batt meter showed 2/3s after. I shot the entire next day -- maybe another 50 shots, most with fill flash from the 580EX -- and the batt still had 1/2 life left. In fact, I've not changed out the battery used on this night shot two weeks ago and it's still good to go. Amazing.

TScout

I call these Timing, Framing and Opportunity in that order...
LOL, just thought I'd say hi, as a new guy here.

Lots of great pics in this thread, thanks for sharing!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Here's a couple of my dog Diesel,
not up to the standard of some of the excellent photos here, but were pretty good for me.

Ghost dog
GreyGhostsuit.jpg

Snow dog

DSC_00074.jpg

Vertical point

Theresbirdsinthistreedad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior