Arriving at a fair price for my 2019 Tacoma Overlander, 3300 miles

ZioEdo

Hello All,

I am thinking about selling my 2019 Tacoma with 3300 miles. Turns out my wife is not into extreme adventures and now i need to rethink my next steps. I am thinking of building a larger truck which can tow my travel trailer. That way i can park her in comfort and i can go off on short satellite trips.
I have invested ~80K in my build not including my labor. What do you think is a fair price? Here are the details.

Stock Truck Details

2019 Toyota TRD OFF Road DCSB, 6 Speed Manual, Rear Locker, 4.30 gearing, Leather,

Sunroof, Dual Climate Control, Navigation. 3,300 miles

Build Details

Alucab Canopy Camper

Rear Molle boards

Shadow Awning

Slide out table and tray

Netting on sides and rear door. Rear door not installed

Low profile load bars. Not installed

Rear door tire carrier, not installed

Wired for solar with Anderson connector on roof

Suspension

ARB Old Man Emu 2” Lift with 600lb. heavy duty leaf springs, ARBOMETAC16BP51B

SPC Upper Control Arms

Armor

ARB Summit Front Bull Bar Bumper

ARB Summit Front & Side Rail Protection

ARB Summit Rear Bumper

ARB Under Vehicle Protection

Performance

SOS Performance Front Brake 6 PISTON FRONT BIG BRAKE KIT TR325.6TA

ARB Front Airlocker ARBRD111 30SPL 3.91&UP

ARB Compressor CKMA12

Lighting

Baja Designs Squadron Pro - BAJ497803 – Ditch Lights

Baja Designs S2 Pro Flush mount --Backup lights

Baja Designs S2 Sport Red Lens – Exterior Camper Light

Baja Designs S2 Sport Clear Lens – Exterior Camper Light

Baja Designs LP9 driving combo LED lights BAJ320003

Electrical

Odyssey Battery ODY31M-PC2150ST

Camper integration

Truck Battery Isolation- Blue Sea 30A Breaker Disconnect

Selectable power source- Truck or Auxiliary Input

Auxiliary Input – Blue Sea 12V Female Receptacle

10 amp Resettable Thermal Fuse

Blue Sea Waterproof Circuit Breaker Switch Panel

Blue Sea USB Charge ports (2)

Blue Sea 12V Charge Port

Blue Sea Mini OLED Exterior Temperature Monitor

(2) #2 AWG Carol Welding cable ran from truck battery to camper

(8) extra 12AWG conductors ran from engine bay to camper

Baltic Birch Floor with Threaded Inserts, Marine Varnish w/non skid

Baltic Birch Camper Inserts, Marine Varnish

Bantam SPOD with HD Panel, one position open

Recovery

Warn Zeon 10S Winch, 10K lb, Synthetic Rope

ARB Recover Point, 8 Ton Capacity

Hi Lift Jack and Mounts

Factor 55 Ultra Hook and Rope Guard

Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead

Interior

Goose Gear 60/40 Seat delete

Expedition Essentials 3TPAM Accessory Mount

Weathertech Front Floor Mats

Tires

(5) BF Goodrich LT265/75R16123/120RAT/TAKO2LRE

Spare Mounted on Steel Wheel, Stowed under bed.

Miscellaneous

SLEE Compressor Mount

Power Tray – SPOD Mount

Cali Raised Low Profile Ditch Lights Mounts

crazysccrmd

Observer
Oof. You really went full retard on the build just to find out it won't work. Might be cheaper to get a new wife...

In all seriousness though, start by selling the aftermarket stuff separately. It will be a lot easier to sell the canopy camper alone for $10k than trying to sell a Tacoma for $100k to get some money back. Just about everything you listed minus the brakes and locker is fairly simple to put back to stock and sell the parts. If you have the stock parts still or can find them it's only about a weekend worth of work and the truck is almost entirely stock again and you have a pile of parts that will be much easier to sell than the truck as a whole.

jasmtis

In all seriousness though, start by selling the aftermarket stuff separately. It will be a lot easier to sell the canopy camper alone for $10k than trying to sell a Tacoma for $100k to get some money back. Just about everything you listed minus the brakes and locker is fairly simple to put back to stock and sell the parts. If you have the stock parts still or can find them it's only about a weekend worth of work and the truck is almost entirely stock again and you have a pile of parts that will be much easier to sell than the truck as a whole.
Firstly, love your taste in cars crazyccrmd, I too have a modern Tacoma and a Range Rover Classic.

Anyway though, that's definitely the move on the camper. Least invasive thing to uninstall and the market for pop-up campers like that is hot right now, considering the lead times on them right now chances are it could be easily sold for exactly what OP paid. As far as everything else goes I've been pretty surprised at the prices lightly used pre-built overland rigs seem to be going for these days. Might not be worth pulling everything else off. I'm building my Tacoma right now and the lead times for parts are pretty crazy, I ordered an ARB Summit in mid-April and don't even know when it'll be arriving yet(meaning it ain't even on the boat). Not to mention how hard it is to get your hands on a new Tacoma right now. If I were in the market for a new Tacoma and planning on building it right away I could see how a pre-built rig with that few miles on it that I could have tomorrow would be very appealing even if I'm paying for the vast majority of the total build cost for it.

If it were me I'd just sell the Alu-Cab and buy a nice but small trailer for the Tacoma. Like a small Airstream or something seems like it could make a good compromise.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If it were me I'd just sell the Alu-Cab and buy a nice but small trailer for the Tacoma. Like a small Airstream or something seems like it could make a good compromise.
Might be tricky. I think Tacomas are only rated for 6,400 lbs so have to watch that when towing.

No experience with it, but from what I've read towing a travel trailer with a Tacoma isn't fun.

The payload can be an issue as well. Deduct the weight from all the aftermarket add ons, people, camping stuff you'll bring with you and the tongue weight of the trailer and I bet you'd be over payload.

jasmtis

Might be tricky. I think Tacomas are only rated for 6,400 lbs so have to watch that when towing.

No experience with it, but from what I've read towing a travel trailer with a Tacoma isn't fun.

The payload can be an issue as well. Deduct the weight from all the aftermarket add ons, people, camping stuff you'll bring with you and the tongue weight of the trailer and I bet you'd be over payload.

This looks really nice and has a GVWR of 3500(again, that's the GVWR not dry weight so the heaviest it'll be). It'd be just fine behind a Tacoma.

Don't forget that the loudest people on the internet are cry babies. Tacomas tow fine as long as you aren't right up on the limit, the redline's at 6k and not 3k for a reason. I just couldn't imagine putting together a build like that and selling it 3,000 miles later.

But what do I know I guess, I couldn't imagine doing a build like that all at once on a brand new vehicle without being positive it's exactly what I need either. I guess given the crazy prices Tacomas go for rn and how somehow prebuilt Toyota 4x4s seem to be exempt from the old 'mods won't help resale value' rule he could probably get himself into a Power Wagon for what he gets out of the Taco which would make a better compromise.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This looks really nice and has a GVWR of 3500(again, that's the GVWR not dry weight so the heaviest it'll be). It'd be just fine behind a Tacoma.

Don't forget that the loudest people on the internet are cry babies. Tacomas tow fine as long as you aren't right up on the limit, the redline's at 6k and not 3k for a reason. I just couldn't imagine putting together a build like that and selling it 3,000 miles later.

But what do I know I guess, I couldn't imagine doing a build like that all at once on a brand new vehicle without being positive it's exactly what I need either. I guess given the crazy prices Tacomas go for rn and how somehow prebuilt Toyota 4x4s seem to be exempt from the old 'mods won't help resale value' rule he could probably get himself into a Power Wagon for what he gets out of the Taco which would make a better compromise.
Under stood. 3,000 empty. But fill it with water, food, clothes etc. The hitch weight is 430 lbs. So that along with all the accessories have to come off the payload. Plus any cargo and passengers. Even that trailer might be over the Tacomas payload rating once everything is all packed up in truck and trailer.

My travel trailer is 3,900 lbs dry. Guessing about 5ish loaded. (23') It's half what I'm rated to tow and sometimes I feel stressed when my half ton revs at 4,000, lol

Oh I agree on mods. I've owned my truck almost 5 years now. My 'build' consists of a spray in bed liner and a tri-fold tonneau cover, haha.

But, you are right. Might be able to sell this and get into a Power Wagon.

jasmtis

Under stood. 3,000 empty. But fill it with water, food, clothes etc. The hitch weight is 430 lbs. So that along with all the accessories have to come off the payload. Plus any cargo and passengers. Even that trailer might be over the Tacomas payload rating once everything is all packed up in truck and trailer.

My travel trailer is 3,900 lbs dry. Guessing about 5ish loaded. (23') It's half what I'm rated to tow and sometimes I feel stressed when my half ton revs at 4,000, lol

Oh I agree on mods. I've owned my truck almost 5 years now. My 'build' consists of a spray in bed liner and a tri-fold tonneau cover, haha.

But, you are right. Might be able to sell this and get into a Power Wagon.
I mean yeah he will be pushing his payload, and yeah that isn't something that should be taken lightly but payloads are rated extremely conservatively in the US. Fudging the payload by 100 or 200 pounds especially with the upgraded rear springs and big brake kit he's got isn't something to lose sleep over. I see trailers like that behind crossovers loaded down with kids all the time, they aren't even considering payload. Ever pack 7 adults into a minivan? That's over payload right there.

I dunno, I try to keep my truck on the lighter side(although I am about to add a bumper and sliders, oh well). But it also seems ridiculous to me that you need a behemoth for a 16' trailer. A modern midsize is roughly identical in size, weight and power to an early 2000s half ton. The old half ton will have a higher payload and tow rating but I'd bet anything you'd be safer towing in a modern midsize.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A modern midsize is roughly identical in size, weight and power to an early 2000s half ton. The old half ton will have a higher payload and tow rating but I'd bet anything you'd be safer towing in a modern midsize.
It's crazy. I was considering a Ranger to replace my half ton and was comparing the exterior dimensions to a 2001 F150 Supercrew. It's surprisingly close!

The new Ranger had a 1,500 LB payload and 7,500 lb tow rating. 2001 F150 Supercrew is 8,000 towing and 1,700 payload.

Getting back to the Tacoma for sale, I wonder given the low mileage and build, if this would do well on an auction site like Bring a trailer?

4000lbsOfGoat

We've gotten well away from OPs original question about a fair value for the rig...

While we could argue all day about what is "fair", take a look at the For Sale section of this forum. There have been a good number of late-model built-out Tacomas for sale here recently so you can see what others are asking. Whether the price is "fair" and whether anyone will pay the asking price is another issue, but you'll have some baseline.

For example - asking $65k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2017-cement-trd-pro-with-at-habitat.225734/
$46k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/clean-2017-tacoma-trd-pro-m-t-socal.225720/
$56k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-and-full-overland-build-44-000-miles.225627/

jasmtis

It's crazy. I was considering a Ranger to replace my half ton and was comparing the exterior dimensions to a 2001 F150 Supercrew. It's surprisingly close!

The new Ranger had a 1,500 LB payload and 7,500 lb tow rating. 2001 F150 Supercrew is 8,000 towing and 1,700 payload.

Getting back to the Tacoma for sale, I wonder given the low mileage and build, if this would do well on an auction site like Bring a trailer?

Honestly I wouldn't even be that shocked if he managed to turn a profit on BAT. Basically brand new and well built with quality mods. Of course an auction always has a risk factor but I can't remember the last time I saw something not go for top dollar on BAT. I feel like at this point it's where people for whom money really is no object go to spend it.

We've gotten well away from OPs original question about a fair value for the rig...

While we could argue all day about what is "fair", take a look at the For Sale section of this forum. There have been a good number of late-model built-out Tacomas for sale here recently so you can see what others are asking. Whether the price is "fair" and whether anyone will pay the asking price is another issue, but you'll have some baseline.

For example - asking $65k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2017-cement-trd-pro-with-at-habitat.225734/
$46k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/clean-2017-tacoma-trd-pro-m-t-socal.225720/
$56k for this one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-and-full-overland-build-44-000-miles.225627/
True, it's not too hard to price out a built late model Taco on the used market but I don't think I've ever seen one with a full build and basically zero miles or trail use. Right now given the backorders on absolutely everything including Tacomas themselves for the right buyer being able to have one built out now instead of 2-4 months from now could be worth quite a bit.

ZioEdo

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

Getting rid of the wife is not an option. Cheaper to keep her. LOL. Towing with the taco will not work either.
I have looked in the classified section here, on tacoworld, FB, Craigslist, and ebay to gain some insight. The state of the current market could work in my favor.

I will most likely list it and if i cannot get my price i will keep it and continue to enjoy it. With or without the wife.

Thanks again
Ed

bkg

Explorer
Honestly I wouldn't even be that shocked if he managed to turn a profit on BAT. B

Been negotiating w/ BAT for over a year re: reserve on my tacoma. They have a strong business model and, while likely will drive up overall return, there certainly can be a risk.

ZioEdo

Been negotiating w/ BAT for over a year re: reserve on my tacoma. They have a strong business model and, while likely will drive up overall return, there certainly can be a risk.
I haven't looked into to BAT in detail. Sounds like you cannot have a reserve. If that is case it is not for me. Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz