Around the world since june 2000

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Hola expeditionerd!

Today we sent the books via USPS. They will be at your home before this weekend! Thanks for your support and welcome to Around the world in 10 years!!!

Dos abrazos!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Anna and Pablo it was so nice to meet you guys last week in Prescott!! I hope that I didn't talk too much about Chile during our wine at Scott's:sombrero:
I look forward to learning more about your travels and will be following along with you expedition from now on. Please don't forget to order your Mountain Khakis with the coupon I gave you, I want to see some pic's once you get and use them!

Cheers,

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Hi Ben!

We just ordered our Mountain Khakis yesterday, we should receive them in the house of some friends we have in Sonoma. Thank you very much for that, we'll upload some pics next months... No doubt!

And anyway, welcome to our trip. It was nice talk the other night at Scott's, with Chilean road stories, wine, deserts, Africa... It has been a long time since our last real travellers talk about lost roads... I hope we'll find plenty of this in our US crossroads...

Regards from Prescott, Arizona.

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Thank you!

After many days in Prescott is time to go back to the road. To get lost again. It's a beautiful feeling....

We want to thank Scott and all the people from Overland Journal and Expedition Portal who have helped us during this days, we have now a very happy 4x4 van, a very happy free cockroach with new shoes, new solar panel and new caliper....

Hope to see you again soon, far away, on the road...!!!

So last night we went to Whiskey Row...

That sentence just about says everything about your night, lol. I also had a "so last night I went to Whiskey Row. . . " night too.

Anyways, it was great to meet you two and chat with you guys. Thank you for the book. Now I just need to learn Spanish.

Scott Brady

Founder
After many days in Prescott is time to go back to the road. To get lost again. It's a beautiful feeling....

We want to thank Scott and all the people from Overland Journal and Expedition Portal who have helped us during this days, we have now a very happy 4x4 van, a very happy free cockroach with new shoes, new solar panel and new caliper....

Hope to see you again soon, far away, on the road...!!!

Safe travels my friends. Looking forward to the images and updates.

For now, here is a fun video of the Cucaracha in action!

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Phil, if you want to travel south, you must learn spanish!!!

Regards from Vegas, heading to Death Valley....

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Pablo/Anna,

I am glad that the team was able to help you! I wish I had been there...but I am sure we will meet soon again - please keep us posted on your progress.

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Wooooowwww!!!
We love that flying toilet paper!! :) It is very glamourous!!! jajaja.

We have some pics from Prescott that we want to share with you all. We had a really good time there... and it was the best spa the Cucaracha had in a veeeery long time!!

You can see how much fun we had with Jeremy and the Jeeps driving on the snow, mounting brand new tires in our really old rims, the brand new caliper... and with Scott at the Overland journal HQ. (the pics from Whiskey Rd are not posted... and won't be!! jajaja),

Thanks to you all!
Big hugs!

Attachments

• IMG_5710.JPG
    IMG_5710.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5729.JPG
    IMG_5729.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5738.JPG
    IMG_5738.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5799.JPG
    IMG_5799.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5801.JPG
    IMG_5801.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5810.JPG
    IMG_5810.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 155

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Leaving for Death Valley.

10 days of solo drive thru everywhere, including Mengel Pass and Titus Canyon. We’ll follow the gps points included in spring 2007 Overland Journal magazine looking for the back road to Lippencott mine and the Racetrack… :wings:

We’ll see if that roads are as bad as the African roads…

Regards from the Free Cockroach, our Mitsubishi L300 4x4 home.

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Back to normal roads, after Death Valley...

I have to recognize it. Death Valley is a great place to prepare a trip to African dry roads. It has dust, heat, small bush to prepare small fires, some lose stones, beautiful small creeks and has Mengel Pass.
That is for real men (take your hat out please).
We’ve been three hours there to make the first 7 miles from the Geologist Cabin in Stripped Butte with our 4x4. We don’t have a huge clearance so we needed to built part of the last 200 meters of the road before the pass, move a couple of big rocks and fill some holes with stones. It was tiring but it was so nice, so rewarding to be in the other side of the mountains towards Baker’s Ranch. Then, we found the big step in Goler Canyon…
Anyway, when we finished I had to promise our Free Cockroach, our Mitsubishi L300 (Delica) 4x4 where we’ve been living during the past 11 years, that it would never go thru that pass again.

Five days later we were at the entrance of Lippincott Road from the Racetrack. The previous evening I walked a couple of miles downhill and it looked quite a piece of cake (at least compared with Mengel Pass) (I take my hat out).
The next morning we woke up early, I took out the table to write and correct some pages of the new book about black Africa, and when I was sipping my first coffee I saw the right front brand new tire: it was flat.

I believe in messages from other worlds, mainly when they came from our beloved and passionate Free Cockroach (that’s the name of our 4x4 van). She abandoned us with serious breakdowns in the Sahara Desert in Sudan and in the Turkana Area in Kenya, 500 miles from the closest reliable mechanic. We slept at 4500 meters (around 14000 feet altitude) during a trip thru the highest roads in the Bolivian Altiplano and it woke up with a frozen engine…

So, this time I said: ok, you win. You made it thru Mengel Pass (I take my hat out). You’re released of going down Lippincott Road. But remember, this summer we are going to Álaska…

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Some pics from our days in Death Valley... from the best spirit of the old west to the Butte Valley (in the Mengel Pass remember to take your hat out), the Goler Canyon, the Teakettle Junction (that's from Alice in Wonderland...!!!) and the bush mechanics...
Yes, we had to repair a flat tire and a broken vc joint with duct tape, old inner tube rubber and staples...
And the dust...

Regards from the road!

Attachments

• 372-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Furgo.jpg
    372-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Furgo.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 382-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Geologist Cabin-Placa-Memoria-Oeste.jpg
    382-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Geologist Cabin-Placa-Memoria-Oeste.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 349-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Arreglando la furgo en Warm Spring Canyon.jpg
    349-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Arreglando la furgo en Warm Spring Canyon.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 376b-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Geologist Cabin.jpg
    376b-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Butte Valley-Geologist Cabin.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 404a-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Goler Canyon-Paso de piedras.jpg
    404a-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Goler Canyon-Paso de piedras.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 406-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Goler Canyon-Paso de piedras.jpg
    406-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Goler Canyon-Paso de piedras.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 453-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Titus Canyon.jpg
    453-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Titus Canyon.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 511-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Lost Burro Mine-Pinchazo-Busch mechanic.jpg
    511-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Lost Burro Mine-Pinchazo-Busch mechanic.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 462-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P-Teakettle Junction.jpg
    462-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P-Teakettle Junction.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 519-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Furgo levantando tierra.jpg
    519-EEUU-California-Death Valley N.P.-Furgo levantando tierra.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles