Around Europe/ Asia in a Shorty

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well I am back in Turkey after a nice month long foray in Ukraine! figured we would try something a bit different this time. We found its slow going even on the highways and trails, well you're gonna need a winch. Overall it was a stunning trip. this is just a photo dump for now till I once again get a blog together. and once again... im lazy. lol. so enjoy the photos.

For what we did this trip felt quite rushed for the pack up, 2 partial days is just not enough time. But here we are on the ferry from Turkey to Ukraine. a nice 27 hour ride across the black sea

We brought the drone so why not use it: camp number 2,

On our way to camp 3, day 5 I think, we found some trails that took us to the waterfall, steep steep steep, we had our first ever winch recovery, I figure it would of made it if I had been harder on the loud pedal but when you travel remote and solo sometimes the slow and steady way wins. I had to winch 2 times to make it to an area "flat" enough, this is after continuously sliding into the embankment, dented the front fender.

And parked up at camp:

Now it just wouldn't be a good trip without some history, we spent the night near this old fort that was used by the Ukraines, the Russians and fianally the nazis during the WWII, very cool to see. a little creepy to explore.

After that we headed to the tunnel of love, the pg rated one.

Moving forward in time to the cold war, we viewed the nuclear silo base, went under ground, and if your wondering, yes that is the SS-18 still intact ready to go. the nukes have been removed apparently but are still in the country somewhere.

We viewed the Duga radar assembly, 150M tall and 750M wide.

And since we were already in the Chernobyl NO-GO- zone, why not stop in at Pripyat to view the worlds worst nuclear disaster. It was insane to see how much the forest had reclaimed.

Driving past the new containment for reactor 4:

Control room 4, or whats left of it, we are 20 meters away form the elephants foot here. we get high and low readings on the counters here but nothing crazy. unlike in town in the hot spots or like while driving through the red forest.

Reactor 3 was in use till 2001, which I didnt know, but we got to go in and have a look around.

Then it was time to slowly move back to Turkey, good camping can be found.

My last night of camping:

Driving out and stopping for lunch on the black sea cliffs.

New tattoo to match the car as well

Now I am back off to work. but in DRC so the wagon may make another guest appearance there. who knows?

Cruisn

Adventurer
Continuing onto day 2, we go see some cool old stuff

billiebob

Love your journal. Fabulous story, incredible pictures, I want to eat the food.

And your overlander, yes this is the size, scale I love. Very light, incredibly efficient yet lacking nothing.

But the automatic..... I've owned a few and been thru the same thing too often... I've also owned a lot of manual transmissions and never had an issue. Your story reinforces my commitment to shifting gears manually. I sold my last automatic 20 years ago. I'll never buy another.

Hope to visit Turkey again before I die. The people, culture, food are as spectacular as the sky, water and countryside.

Wish you well. Look forward to future updates.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Love your journal. Fabulous story, incredible pictures, I want to eat the food.

And your overlander, yes this is the size, scale I love. Very light, incredibly efficient yet lacking nothing.

But the automatic..... I've owned a few and been thru the same thing too often... I've also owned a lot of manual transmissions and never had an issue. Your story reinforces my commitment to shifting gears manually. I sold my last automatic 20 years ago. I'll never buy another.

Hope to visit Turkey again before I die. The people, culture, food are as spectacular as the sky, water and countryside.

Wish you well. Look forward to future updates.

thanks man, I’m lazy with the blogs but getting there lol.

as for the auto, it was mostly my doing for failing, should have done the oil sooner due to the high high heat. I have a lock up kit in it that locks it from second gear onwards, it’s a 5 speed, and I have just bought a second cooler to help it out so as long I keep the heat under control it should be fine. New box will have oil changed every 20k kms. now due to severe service.
Would love a manual though, maybe if I found a wrecking one in Europe I’d steal some parts.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Sorry guys, I have been hella lazy again. here are 2 more blogs from Turkey.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Still working on the blogs, trying to complete them all before we travel again so expect a few to come through at a high rate of speed.

Today we hit up Mt. Nemrut to meet gods placed here from the east and west.

Then we have a few troubles, well just 1. an injector line that was overdue for replacement bit me. but all good.

But then we hit up Karanlik Kanyon. worth it!!!

https://wrongturn.com.au/ongoing-adventures/eurasia/the-boring-blog/

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Thanks.
We spent 10 weeks touring Turkey in 2013. You are bringing back lots of great memories of wonderful people, including mechanics that don't take money.
We still communicate with a tourist souvineir shop owner who drove us all around for days.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Cruisn

Adventurer
Thanks.
We spent 10 weeks touring Turkey in 2013. You are bringing back lots of great memories of wonderful people, including mechanics that don't take money.
We still communicate with a tourist souvineir shop owner who drove us all around for days.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

It is a fantastic place. We have another 2 weeks here before we cross another border. its gonna be a big adventure.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Only 2 more blogs done tonight. But great photos at least right?

We carry on north and visit more ruin then camp in peace with rainbows and all:

https://wrongturn.com.au/ongoing-adventures/eurasia/pull-over/

Then we tackle the D915.

Cruisn

Adventurer
2 more blogs up and running, the second one is all photos, mainly cause im tired.. but they drive the point across.

Asareh has to leave and I continue on my own:

I spend a day in the clouds

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, we are offcially in Iran.

Here are a few photos to hold over for now.

We got snow every night almost from Turkey till almost to Isfahan. normally about -2 to -5 at night and the heater was well worth the install.

Night 1:

Entering Iran:

Our cat (Pina) does our prestarts in the morning:

On route in Iran:

And almost to Isfahan:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior