ArmyGreens M416

armygreen

Adventurer
I started a thread about this but thought I would toss it in here as well to get it out as much as possible.
I know there are a few posts out there about sierra 4x4 but this info should be out there for anyone considering doing business with them. They have not fixed any of their issues from the past. They are the same old sierra 4x4 that people have been getting ripped off by for years. Promising product and then they never answer the phone, returning messages or emails. I bought, and paid in full march 4th 2014 for a m416 lid ($1290) that was supposed to ship in approx two weeks according to chris because it was already almost completed. After a few weeks I contacted him and he did return my email and said it would ship the next week. O.K. sounds good. So a couple weeks later after not hearing from him I started calling and emailing him trying to get an update. After a couple of more weeks his website went down. I was getting worried that he skipped town after his business failed. Alas that did not happen. He returned a second email saying that it would be shipped asap. This was April 22nd. That was the last time he responded to my emails. I sent him about 5-6 more emails and called and left a few messages with no response. Finally I had enough and filed a dispute with my Visa company over the charges. I am thankful that I have my money back now but lost the three months of waiting for a lid for my trailer which I was waiting for to get my project started. It is 2014 and sierra still has not figured out how to run a business. We can all hope that they go away and not hose anyone else out of money or time waiting for a product that will not be delivered.

Bigunit

Adventurer
They will only go away if everyone decides to never send them any $$ and do business with them. There will always be someone who thinks that the leopard has changed it spots!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint

M35A2

Tinkerer
I am a dissenting opinion and think you erred in replacing the stock military axle, wheels and tires.

The Toyota wheels look totally out of place and the backspacing is off. Quite frankly, the new wheel and tire combination just looks goofy.

You will never do better than with the original military axle and brakes, either.

If you don't want to carry different spares - completely understandable - why not a tire repair kit and a wheel adapter?

armygreen

Adventurer
I bet you are a military purist. Like to keep it all stock.
This trailer is not going to be in any parades. It is going to be used for camping and cross state runs.
Came down to reliability and maintenance. Old axle is getting real hard to find parts for. If it broke down on the side of the road I would have to get a trailer for my trailer.
The new axle is much easier to lube! The price it would have cost to rebuild the axle bearings, and buy new military type tires it was an easy decision. I do miss the hand brake tho.
I like the look of matching wheels on the trailer and the tow rig as well.
They did not have a decent adapter to go from the stock bolt pattern to the Toyota and if they did it would throw the tires farther out. This axle is already a couple inches shorter than stock.
Tire repair kit would not work real well for the military tires with tubes in them.
I still have the military axle and four military wheels and tires.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I bet you are a military purist. Like to keep it all stock.
This trailer is not going to be in any parades. It is going to be used for camping and cross state runs.
Came down to reliability and maintenance. Old axle is getting real hard to find parts for. If it broke down on the side of the road I would have to get a trailer for my trailer.
The new axle is much easier to lube! The price it would have cost to rebuild the axle bearings, and buy new military type tires it was an easy decision. I do miss the hand brake tho.
I like the look of matching wheels on the trailer and the tow rig as well.
They did not have a decent adapter to go from the stock bolt pattern to the Toyota and if they did it would throw the tires farther out. This axle is already a couple inches shorter than stock.
Tire repair kit would not work real well for the military tires with tubes in them.
I still have the military axle and four military wheels and tires.

I'm not a military purist but do have my own opinion of what looks 'right'. It's your trailer so you should, of course, build it so that it meets your needs. Suggest perhaps that you widen the fenders as that might be an easy way to improve the appearance and functionality. If you are of a mind to accept the hassle, perhaps sell the old parts to someone that can use them. That gives you what you want and someone else gets parts they can use. I could use two of those rims so if you decide to sell them, please PM me.

ZeMax

Observer
Thank you. Didn't know if I was going to go with 52 or 55. Seems like 55 as the correct width clearance. Running same size tires.

armygreen

Adventurer
Got some new hardware, greasable 1/2" shackle lift as I was having a very slight rub fully loaded going over big bumps on the edge of fender, and wiring.

B57F2029-4D32-4949-87E6-1BF42CB7FCC9_zpsfkpz55i6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0EA9846F-76F2-44DA-9222-1F8AA4CBD5B9_zpsutjhbzlg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

armygreen

Adventurer
Daystar KJ61001BK 0.5" Lift Greasable Shackle

Daystar makes .5", 1.5" and 2.25" shackle lifts that should work.
The shackle itself is 1" longer than stock but because it is connected on one side of the suspension it gives half the lift as what was put on.
So for a .5" lift it is a shackle that is 1" taller than stock.
The 1.5" lift is 3" longer shackle than stock.
And the 2.25" is 4.5" longer.
Will let you know how it goes on install in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

armygreen

Adventurer
Did a little wire work with some air to knock off the old paint on the springs and hangers. A bit of rattle can and they are looking good.
Wire wheel is looking a little rough now.
0BFA4F54-FEEE-409B-8C1D-677E1C5FF209_zpsa4rnayib.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
23A68ACA-A80B-4A4C-B9C2-D317DF3A77B3_zpshlh2o0b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C7CF97BA-D762-4528-974F-BECDD149C54A_zpswg0oqsu4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles