Arizona Traverse: Who will be the first moto to complete the route?

Scott Brady

Founder
The last segments of the Arizona Traverse are coming together and we finally completed the route to the Grand Canyon
299030_10150427020473275_640113274_10950671_5124595_n.jpg

Although I have run segments of the route on my KTM950, this route really favors a smaller bike (like a 690 KTM, DRZ400, etc.)

I would really like someone to run the entire route on a street legal, smaller adventure moto and report back on the entire experience. Having just done it in a 4WD, we just cannot take the time to do it on a moto too.

SO!

We would like to sponsor someone to do it. It is a simple arrangement.

1. Please advise when you can do it (it will take 7 days on a moto) and what bike you have available for it.

2. We will pay you $300 for fuel and expenses and provide some gear, etc. once the route is FINISHED.

3. You take lots of images, keep an active track log on a GPS (we can provide one if you do not have one) and keep a daily trip journal.

4. You write up your trip for editorial on the portal. We will also pay $100 for the editorial.

Please post in this thread if this is something you can commit to and we will select the most interesting option. Having just done this route, it is an exceptional adventure with many challenges and absolutely stunning views.
AZ_T5_%2820%29.jpg

Thank you for the interest.

robert

Expedition Leader
I won't be back in the States until December but it looks like a fun trip. And yes, I'd drive out to run it; I've got some family in Scottsdale I could visit.

bump

smaller bikes need more fuel stops perhaps?

Is the route friendly for 450-650 bikes (200 mile max range and often far less) or what are the fuel requirements?

Great idea. So much to see in AZ.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
You will need a 120-140 mile dirt fuel range. Some refuel opportunities are inconsistent (i.e. Crown King). It is an incredible adventure and I would love to see someone on ExPo knock it off with a moto.

I do think it could be done with bigger bikes and experienced riders. 2-3 riders might be required to navigate some of the rocky sections.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

I do think it could be done with bigger bikes and experienced riders. 2-3 riders might be required to navigate some of the rocky sections.

Well my moto is large and heavy, 1150GS, but I have a little experience and I'm interested.
I just sent an email to a buddy to see if/when he might be willing and available.

Sounds like fuel range would not be a concern for us on the big bikes.

I could make the trip soon-ish, not sure about my ride partner, but would prefer to pick the best time for weather (cooler?).

Also working on a smaller bike. I think my buddy still has a KTM and I may also be able to source an old 600 or something....

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Scott, I am interested, probably on a 950 though, and possibly with a buddy already out there. This would also afford better pics, etc I would think. When do you want it started? I am pretty flexible, and excited about the opportunity. Cheers, Dale

LtFuzz

Explorer
Scott, I am interested, probably on a 950 though, and possibly with a buddy already out there. This would also afford better pics, etc I would think. When do you want it started? I am pretty flexible, and excited about the opportunity. Cheers, Dale

Let's do this, Dale! I've been on most of this route (if it's what I think) and the 950s will be fine as long as their waterpumps hold. With two people you can drag that pig through hell and high water!

I'm available any time through 15 Nov. Early October would be ideal weather, I think.

Edit: I probably spook too soon vis a vis the route -- very interested in seeing what you have planned, Scott.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
What time of year? I already have a trip plan for Flagstaff the second weekend of October to see the foliage and ride single track, might able to incorporated that into the route(?) would make for some fantastic photos with the autumn colors. EDIT: On second thought rather not, that Flag trip is a special "thing" I do.

I have a plated and AZ OHV tagged KTM 505, she is pretty fast I probably don't need 7 days.:ylsmoke:

2514474940093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

2911705000093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

2077895720093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

2727523860093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't mind riding in snow either.

2102713350093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Hey Kermit! When did you come back?! Very cool to see your name here again!

I guess today! Thanks! I was doing some research and it brought me here, so I started reading, found this thread (always head straight to the moto section), tried my account and it still works!:Wow1:

Bike just received a brand spanking new top end, clutch and some other bits.

Scott, is the route a loop of AZ? I think you can darn near circumvent AZ mostly on dirt with minimal pavement. I could throw in single track...for the hardcore, "Go Light Go Fast"-as the Giant Loop guys say. I have a good buddy in Phoenix who is a dual sport nut, could throw some suggestions out there as well. I think there is single track from the Mile Markers (Peoria) to Crown King, he knows Prescott and Payson fairly well too. Could do a run from the Mexican Border to Utah and back down again.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hmm I have a big bike with a big tank or a small bike with a small tank or a really small bike with a miniature tank. (R1100GS, TW200 or CT90). Now the CT90 would turn it into a real adventure, probably a couple of weeks type adventure. The TW200 with some more fuel capacity would be ideal but again might take a little extra time. But there is no way I would take the big black pig (R1100GS) on a trail you recommend a smaller bike.

But I will check with a buddy and see what we can come up with.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Arg, no way I could get away for that long to do it. My weapon of choice would be the old XR400, and she's already pretty well rigged for this sort of thing. I'd like to see a map of the route though! Feh, now you have me thinking..lessee, got a Spot, got the GPS's, got most of the other junk...

Sigh.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, what an opportunity. I'd love to push my drz though it but I have too many vacations planned and already taken this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles