Arizona Traverse: Who will be the first moto to complete the route?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
There are really only 3-4 segments that will give the big bikes some grief.

I read that and thought: "Well, maybe not so tough".

One is a boulder-strewed section of trail and the other includes some long, loose climbs with ledges. I have done most of it with the KTM950 and it kicked my tail pretty good, and that was with a tuned S suspension and full-blown knobbies.

Then I thought: "How many times do want to drop & pickup my clean and dent-free big GS?"
I need a smaller bike (doesn't seem to be a problem), but my riding buddy doesn't have the time available and it seems it would be best to use the buddy system on a moto.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I'm ready to go -- Scott, do you have a better map than the one you posted earlier?

Something that breaks down the different segments, i.e. a point-to-point deal?

Just did waterpump and solid-state fuel pump, so I'll just throw on a set of D606s and drag over what I can't ride :sombrero:

Clutch

<---Pass
Any single track on the route? Looks like it skates right past some super primo trails.

Is the route set in stone or can the rider suggest alternates?

Scott Brady

Founder
Any single track on the route? Looks like it skates right past some super primo trails.

Is the route set in stone or can the rider suggest alternates?

No single track, as it was intended for moto and 4wd, but it could be fun to include some alternate/optional routes

Clutch

<---Pass
No single track, as it was intended for moto and 4wd, but it could be fun to include some alternate/optional routes

Since your recommending mid sized bikes, could get into tighter stuff. There are trails from Wickenburg to the Mile Markers, which could tie into Crown King, plus a mess of trails from in Prescott, Mayer, Sheridan Mountain, and Lynx Lake etc..., Flag has Wing Mountain, The Peaks Loop, and the Airport Loop. Would be cool to end up on the North Rim of the Canyon..since it is a bit more raw...and less touristy.

I have some buds that know those trails like the back of their hand.

This is Sycamore (a bit out of the way) but sections of the Mile Markers looks similar, if you never have been. I think you'll recognize Neduro.

[video=vimeo;21325422]http://vimeo.com/21325422[/video]

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That video was outstanding. Would love to know what all went into producing that. Gear, staffing, positioning, scouting, etc... How much did shooting interfere with riding?, etc... Using the RC plane was kinda cool, but I was most impressed with the moving lead camera shots in the trees. Was that a GoPro video?

Clutch

<---Pass
That video was outstanding. Would love to know what all went into producing that. Gear, staffing, positioning, scouting, etc... How much did shooting interfere with riding?, etc... Using the RC plane was kinda cool, but I was most impressed with the moving lead camera shots in the trees. Was that a GoPro video?

I am sure if ask the guy who made the film, he would answer your questions. I'll bet they did the riding shots in a day. Not sure if it was Go Pro, Could accomplish a lot with a couple Go Pros and a hand held. I have buddy who has one, it is impressive to say the least. The quality of the video is out standing. The lead camera shots I am guessing were done with a zip line, like how most mountain bike videos are shot.

Quite a few great ideas in the video, and great editing...makes a nice little short film. I'll bet it is the editing that takes the most time.

Some zip line shots in this one: Whistler one of my favorite places to ride.

Last edited:

timh

Explorer
This sounds like an awesome trip. If I had the right gear for a multi day trip like this I would be all over it. I think it would be fun on my crf450x. Besides, I can't ride for a couple more months at least due to an AC joint seperation from a crash in Colorado earlier this summer.

Clutch

<---Pass
This sounds like an awesome trip. If I had the right gear for a multi day trip like this I would be all over it. I think it would be fun on my crf450x.

You really don't need much...I take a fraction of what dhackney has listed on his thread. You don't need a tent, a stove, pots, panniers...etc. This is from a 1600 mile trip in Baja we did in 7 days. Would of been done a day or two earlier but we had some minor mechanicals. I packed fairly light and still had too much. Most trips you run past towns, can get supplies along the way, you have to get fuel...99% of the time the fuel stop has what you need.

2007423540093498191S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It looks like you are the only member to commit with confidence. Send me a PM and we will get the ball rolling!

I'm ready to go -- Scott, do you have a better map than the one you posted earlier?

Something that breaks down the different segments, i.e. a point-to-point deal?

Just did waterpump and solid-state fuel pump, so I'll just throw on a set of D606s and drag over what I can't ride :sombrero:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
X2

It looked like steadycam off the back of a moto. i.e., shooter sitting backwards pillion.

Regardless, it was well shot.

it was definately a camera on a string, whatever thats called, it travels between a tree crotch in one shot and if you watch closely you can see it travel in elevation following an arch a couple times. way cool technology and style everytime i see something like that. i also really like the driven motor on tracks thing that is getting more popular.

scott i am down to do it, i have the resources and the time i just dont know if i will do the photo and daily logging justice it deserves. looking at the map i would hazzerd a guess that i have run the majority of the route sans the extreme southern end.

if LTfuzz falls through for some reason lemme know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles