Arizona International Auto Show 11-05

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, I made the trip to the auto show again this year, and I have to say every year the cost is going up and the content is going down. But I do it for the love, man. I love the cars and trucks. Again this year the high end cars were not representive. No Ferrari, Porsche, Bently, etc. I really wanted to check out the new Bently Gt too :mad: . Anyway, I do have to say that there were a couple of pretty cool cars and trucks there. The first that comes to mind was the ever so famous on this board and one of my personal favorites, the Jeep Rescue. This thing is BIG. Not quite the same size as the H1, but close. I think Jeep should put this bad boy into production, anyone want to start writing letters to DC? Toyota had it's Truck Concept there as well. And, I have to say, from a distance it is big and beauty, well that is in the eye of the beholder. Up close, it is very apparent that this is a concept that has been very well traveled. The rear bumper is cracked and rusting, and if you give the recovery hooks a bit of a yank it feels like the whole bumper is going to fall off. Toyota needs to doctor up this concept or put it into production. Dodge seems to have the answer for those in need of a limo and a 3/4 ton truck all at once with the mega cab. Talk about spacious! I do have to say that it is a bit long for any type of trail duty, but very nice indeed. Got to look at the 07 Tahoe and Yukon, much more rounded and very much more car like in appearance. The 06 Ford Sport Track takes on the shape of the 06 Explorer, but better looking if not more practical. I also got a good glimpse of the 08 Ford GR1, to replace the current GT which will end its production run in 07 with no more than 4000 produced. Both are very impressive in performance and IMO in style as well. Don't worry Scott, the polished aluminum finish of the concept will not make it production, so your chromeophobia will still stay healthily in tact. I think what most impressed me was the 06 Grand Vitara. I really like the styling, it is a scosh bigger than the previous model and still comes with part time 4WD with the rear wheels pushing in 2WD mode. But the kicker is the 4WD system. It is part time, but you can shift it to AWD in inclement weather, snow or ice, etc. like your typical AWD sedan or wagon. You can also shift it into 4WD just like the current model, or if you need the grunt 4 Lo is available. Now here is the real kicker, if 4Lo is just not getting it done, you can always choose 4Lo Locked, where it locks the rear differential. I will have to give this a closer inspection and a test drive in the near future. Also, the price can not be beat. The near fully loaded version I was looking at was going for around $24K! Lets see what the aftermark comes up with for these little guys, a small lift would be just about perfect. Anyway, here are a few pics in no particular order. I am just posting up a few as I took around 40 or so at the show. Also, please note that the H3 comes with P rated tires. And the MB G500 will no longer be imported to the US :( and it is going to be replaced by a larger version independently suspended M class wagon around late 06. I did have a good time and I took Thomas with me, which a few of you have met and we did enjoy looking at the cars and eating way overpriced overcooked cheeseburgers. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• 06 Grand Vitara.JPG
    06 Grand Vitara.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 06 Grand Vitara 1.JPG
    06 Grand Vitara 1.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 06 Grand Vitara 2.JPG
    06 Grand Vitara 2.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 06 Sport Track.JPG
    06 Sport Track.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 07 Tahoe.JPG
    07 Tahoe.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 47
  • 07 Yukon.JPG
    07 Yukon.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Fronty Nismo.JPG
    Fronty Nismo.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Grand Cherokee RT8.JPG
    Grand Cherokee RT8.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 55
  • H2.JPG
    H2.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 49
  • H3.JPG
    H3.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 50

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Here are a few more pics. The last 3 I added just for Scott to help him over come his fears :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Rescue 4.JPG
    Rescue 4.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Rescue 2.JPG
    Rescue 2.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Rescue 1.JPG
    Rescue 1.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Rescue 3.JPG
    Rescue 3.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Toyota PU concept.JPG
    Toyota PU concept.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Toyota PU concept 1.JPG
    Toyota PU concept 1.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Ford GT.JPG
    Ford GT.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 51
  • GR1 concept.JPG
    GR1 concept.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
  • GR1 Concept2.JPG
    GR1 Concept2.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 53
  • GR1 concept 1.JPG
    GR1 concept 1.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 50

Scott Brady

Founder
The Vitara looks nice. Very similar to the new RAV4 coming out.

It is nice to hear that they retained the low range.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Nice pictures, Aaron. The Rescue would've looked better if they had aired-up the suspension. :p

I've had just about enough of the gentleman who base jumps on his way to work in the morning. :mad:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I've had just about enough of the gentleman who base jumps on his way to work in the morning. :mad:

Chris, I hear you on that ad, but the new Vitara is pretty nice and for the price it can not be beat. Lets see what the aftermarket comes out with for it. The biggest concern of mine witht the transfer case in the Vitara is that it is all computer controlled and there are 4 different settings for it. I could possibly see it failing at the most inopportune time.

P.S. How does the guy get back up to his house when he gets home and parks his Grand Vitara at the bottom of the cliff?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Aaron....

Thanks for posting the pics from the auto show.

I do like that Rescue! How did the size feel as you were standing next to it?

Pretty Kewl with the rear Winch! :elkgrin:

Were you able to talk with anyone from Jeep/DC about the price and launch date?

It kind of looks like it's not done.....with no windshield wipers.......hinged windows with no place to lock them on hood......and the hood hold down thingys look strangely incomplete. :confused:

The front tow rings look like they could be trouble in the future hanging down like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, I did not get a chance to speak with anyone from DC to find out all the pertinent information that you asked about, as I am curious about the same issues. As far as size goes, it is sized somewher in between an H1 and a Suburban, so it is quite large. I don't think that the front windshield is actually designed to fold down as it is a complete hard top design, so I am sure it is more asthetic in keeping up the traditional Jeep theme. There are some design elements that I am sure can be approved upon over the concept that was shown at the show, and I would like to think that the Jeep engineers will consider these if this model makes it into production. It is one vehicle that I would love to see on the road and would consider for purchase if it were to become a reality.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I think I posted this in another thread, but the rumor is that the 2007 four-door Wrangler is going to be called "Rescue", and its going to share design cues with the pictured Rescue concept - with the exception of its size.

Here's a nice consolidation of info:
http://jeepin.net/blog/?p=10

jeep_jkspy2.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Well.....if the Rescue ends up being just too huge and expensive.....maybe we can talk them into making this! (not sayin' I like it....hehe)

In Alpine White of course! :ylsmoke:

What was Jeep thinking here? .....was this a pre~ new gen Toyota FJ killer?

JeepWillys2Concept.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles