Are You Kidding Me?

X-plorenow

Adventurer
OK I can't believe I am doing this again. I was driving my 99 Disco II near my house on the highway at about 60-65. Ever since the last problems with my 97Disco I watch the temp guage like a hawk. it was dead flat. Started to smell hot and like some antifreeze. I also then saw some white smoke come out the back. I pulled over immediately and let it cool. Turns out I blew my lower radiator hose. I turned the key to open the windows while we waited and of course the temp guage was now pegged (thanks for the late notice).

Once cooled I tried to start it. It turned over and chugged but just wouldn't catch. At least it gave me more than my 97 Disco that wouldn't even turn over.

I left it at a nearby LR specialty shop and it will be looked at this morning.

This is the second time that this has happened to me in a month, on different cars!!!. The first was a 97 Disco and the second was a 99 disco II. I have been extremely good on PM. Especially since the first one I watch the temp guage (stock, until I can get a Scanguage) like a hawk. I continually check fluid levels, and even carry 3 bottles of coolant with me just in case. I even burped it as advised by the PO as the head gasket was recently replaced (yeah I will probably have to do it again do to this :wings:).

My question is why does this keep happening. Hopefully I can get this fixed, but how do I keep this from happening again? Does the LR Disco platform have an inherent problem with their cooling system? What am I missing? Is this a joke? Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know that LR's are used all over the world and are supposed to be reliable platforms. I am trying to build this as an expedition platform and plan to take it to remote regions, but I am not close to comfortable until I figure this out. Thanks in advance for any help.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Well, like you said, you blew your radiator hose. That's the problem with that stock gauge. It gives you absolutely no warning whatsoever, in practical terms.
With that said, it sounds like you pulled over right away when you saw steam. However, these motors are very unforgiving to being overheated, being aluminum.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Blowing a radiator hose is kind of a freak event so long as the hose wasn't brittle and past due on replacement. Most people recommend annual coolant replacement to keep things fresh and non-acidic. To be honest this sounds like bad luck and I'm sorry that it's happened to you. Hopefully your damages are minor. A lot of people who run forced induction, non-rovers, will have aftermarket temp gauges that will detect even the most minute temp changes and might be what you're looking for.

I hope everything works out!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Scan the classifieds for a scangauge. I picked up mine for $100 shipped.

I also have a small water temperature gauge installed underhood. I have an extra one with hoses, fittings and all if you are interested. Might give you a bit more piece of mind.

-Sam

Cleand

Adventurer
When you get a new used rover, the first thing you should do is change the hoses and therm. When I got my 98 I ended up having to change radiator, fan clutch, hoses, and therm.

overlander

Expedition Leader
When you get a new used rover, the first thing you should do is change the hoses and therm. When I got my 98 I ended up having to change radiator, fan clutch, hoses, and therm.

x2. Except I would say whenever you buy a used vehicle, first thing you should do is swap the hoses. they are probably the last thing most people think about on proactive maintenance. hoses are hoses. has nothing to do with vehicle marque. same rubber on a toyota, jeep and rover. Every couple years change out all your hoses (not just upper and lower main) and you won't have nasty surprises. i also keep extra hose bits, connectors and clamps in my onboard emergency repairs kit, so I can repair and limp home. can't limp home on a busted hose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier