Are there any true one person roof top tents on the market?

jonharis

I recently had a conversation with someone who was wondering why there are no rooftop tents that only take up 1/2 of the roof rack space available. I’ve been looking and have not found a manufacturer that has one that does this. Thinking a pop up would be the ideal solution here, retaining the ability to put other items on the second half of the rack. Does anyone know if anything like this exists in the US, Australia, or SA?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Or grab your sleep mat, bag and your Thule roof box......

View attachment 487067

I almost did this with a Packasport and some side panels that could velcro in, the Packasport roof boxes are hinged in the front and are the perfect candidate for it. But I figured that if I am going somewhere without my wife I have plenty of room to just sleep in the vehicle.

B

BPD53

I recently had a conversation with someone who was wondering why there are no rooftop tents that only take up 1/2 of the roof rack space available. I’ve been looking and have not found a manufacturer that has one that does this. Thinking a pop up would be the ideal solution here, retaining the ability to put other items on the second half of the rack. Does anyone know if anything like this exists in the US, Australia, or SA?

I've looked for a few years for a true one man RTT and it doesn't exist commercially. I have also had the Yakima box ideas but nothing ever materialized.

Good luck on your search. Seems to me the "Overlanding" crowd in the US wants things bigger and heavier for some reason. I hate unwarranted weight.

I went with one of those hitch mounted hammock mounts from McClean Metal Works and modified it for my needs. It's about a 1/3 the weight of a RTT and seems to be durable. Oh yeah.....I don't have to sleep on my roof to use it.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I bolted a double-sized tent-cot to the lid of my trailer (think of it as an RTT), even though 99% of the time it will just be me sleeping in it. It weighs about 50 lbs.

I like having my gear and such (and clothes for the next day) inside the tent with me and beside me, and not to be sleeping on top of them, or have the gear on top of me. And sometimes I've got a rifle or a shotgun in there with me. I can't really sleep in my Jeep TJ (nap maybe - I've done that, but you can't really stretch out and get a good night's sleep).

I think a true one-person RTT would be like sleeping in a coffin.

Attachments

• camping.1.jpg
    camping.1.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 46
  • drive.7.jpg
    drive.7.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
I used an Oversize TentCot (single person) for a few years. I removed the legs from it and had my rack customized with mounts on a sliding section. Here are a few of pics, with more pics and info to be found here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/expo-daily-driver-jk-build-pic-heavy.72945/
8291A8C6-565A-4275-9B36-72867985CCD3.jpeg
77A352CC-29DE-4622-B9F9-3368C22496FA.jpeg

F7312814-5F8F-484A-ACB2-D457E6244F97.jpeg

A32198D7-B00C-4CA7-B79F-4257BC7E713E.jpeg

The cot was quite comfortable to sleep in with the addition of a Therm-a-rest mattress, but in inclement weather, it was too confined to hole up in for any length of time. Still, it was cheaper than entry-level RTTs and didn’t take up too much room on the rack.

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
There was a French tent named 'Oasis' that was available back in the day. It was essentially a tent cot with a ladder. I almost bought one back in 2007, but that's when I discovered it was French....so.... no.

Oasis II

jonharis

Oh I agree, just didn't want to sound rude by pointing out the obvious or easy answer.
Not rude at all. I totally agree that many people just sleep in their trucks but a lot of vehicles are not set up well for sleeping inside with various drawer systems and such.

jonharis

Basically thinking a hard shell version of Kevin's roof cot would be just about perfect.

Here is a friend of mine's attempt.

outback97

Adventurer
Not rude at all. I totally agree that many people just sleep in their trucks but a lot of vehicles are not set up well for sleeping inside with various drawer systems and such.

Thanks, I was not intending to be rude, just offering my thoughts on why they could be hard to find.

I couldn't figure out why someone would want to put a cot up on the roof, but the video you posted answered that question: He's trying to avoid bear encounters. Not sure if it's effective, but if it helps him sleep better, go for it.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have not found a one person RTT
Many times I do sleep in the Rover, built a platform for sleeping on top of the shelf system (Front Runner) but when it is hot I do sleep in the cot tent especially in the desert. Has lots of room for me and my gear with everything I require (screens and fly) and it is off the ground about 12 inches. I fitted the fly with two grommets for short poles to create a bit of an awning so even when the fly is on it can be open, at least on one side.
Easy to set up and take down and has a bag to keep it in for transport. Already have stuff on the roof rack.
Less to deal with that the OZ tent as in when there are two of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94