Are there any brick & mortar retailers you can buy the likes of OzTents?

I see you can order OzTents through Bass Pro but they ship from the manufacturer, I'm interested in picking up one for a last minute trip this weekend but from what I can tell no brick & mortar stores really stock things like that, at least not here in TX.

I thought I would just make do with a car camping tent from REI but I was not impressed by anything they had, they just seemed like bigger backpacking tents and I'm tired of messing with those so really want something that goes up easily & quickly even if it is just me pitching it. Are there any retailers at all that cater to our overlanding needs that I could check out? I'm not holding my breath but thought I'd ask just in case.

Fyreman

Observer
Buy one at rei and then take it back. That's of course if it's not exactly what you want. Still offensive?

Last edited:

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I ordered my Oztent RV-5 from Alphaexpedition.com and it arrived in 2 days to CA. Oztent is in UT.
If you call Alpha Expedition, I'm sure they can get you something pretty quickly or perhaps have something on hand you can buy or rent. Here's a link to their contact page: http://www.alphaexpedition.com/contact-us/

Chili

Explorer
Not sure if they have a showroom yet, but alphaexpedition.com is in Dallas.

I ordered my Oztent RV-5 from Alphaexpedition.com and it arrived in 2 days to CA. Oztent is in UT.
If you call Alpha Expedition, I'm sure they can get you something pretty quickly or perhaps have something on hand you can buy or rent. Here's a link to their contact page: http://www.alphaexpedition.com/contact-us/

I got all excited that there was something close to me (I like to try and buy local, even if it's online), but their website is terrible!

nnnnnate

Adventurer
A more economical option to the OzTent is the Turbo Tent by Black Pine. They don't have a brick and mortar but I thought I'd give you another option if you are still looking. They sell stuff often on overstock.com and I bought one from a local classified here in Salt Lake for $300 as a factory second. I've used it probably 5 nights and like it a lot. I mostly camp solo though so that why it hasn't gotten much use. It takes up a ton of space though so be prepared. When I bought it last spring the guy said he has a ton of returns from what Fyreman suggested doing above and that they can't sell them as new so the price gets dropped and they unload them however they can.

If you want the same style as the OzTent Cascadia Vehicle Tents has the Black Butte that is $425.

There are several threads about both the Turbo Tent and the Black Butte here if you wanted to look into real world experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier