Are Iveco Replacing Mitsi And Isuzu?

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi all
Travelling around as we do, we are seeing an increasing number of Iveco Vehicles as the base for offroad campers? Eg Iveco Earthcruiser. The Iveco looks impressive and certainly confortable, but is it a serious replacement for our beloved Canters and Isuzus?
Iveco-Earthcruiser-45-Front_side.jpg

Would love to hear people's ideas.
Regards
Steve

Skennedy

Adventurer
I would think that they would be more comfortable....I drove Hinos,Canters Isuzu etc in the fire brigade when I lived in Victoria.....and they realy are poor riding vehicles.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The Iveco looks impressive and certainly confortable, but is it a serious replacement for our beloved Canters and Isuzus?

Only time will give you that answer.
My biggest concern with the Iveco, if history teaches us anything, is that Italian electronics have never proven to be reliable.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Ski
That reminds me, I think I did read somewhere one had blown a break light fuse so this caused the engine to not start. Your reply caused me to google electric issues and there does seem to be a lot written on it.
Regards
Steve

4wd26

I will have one as my next expedition vehicle

not too big not too small it will be the perfect compromise

well that is the thoughts anyway, bigger in space and load carrying than my current dual cab ute.

having driven this track, I was impressed, I certainly don't need the weight of the earthcruiser, but the dimensions work on what is a technical track and lead me to believe that it will get 99% of the places I need.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The problem, as I see it, is that all of the new vehicles are using the ECU to control more and more things.
This is definitely not limited to the Iveco, but having talked to a few owners of these trucks I have heard how making what should be a simple addition to the electrical system can result in the ECU complaining and sometimes even sending the vehicle into limp mode.

It is getting harder and harder to find a vehicle that is suitable as a global expedition camper, as they all have way too many "smarts" built into the systems these days.
If you don't plan on visiting any third world countries then you may do just fine with one of these newer vehicles, but if you are in the middle of nowhere and something goes wrong, who are you going to be able to find that will have the skills/tools to fix the problem?

dlh62c

Explorer
At one time I looked into importing one into the USA. I was told I would have to import two. One for myself and the second one to be sacrificed to the safety gods for crash testing.

You guys get all the great toys.

gait

Explorer
springs, hub reduction (clearance)?, singles?, diff locks, suspension seats, flat chassis (no step), pass through not crawl through = most of the mods we do already done.

Amesz00

Adventurer
springs, hub reduction (clearance)?, singles?, diff locks, suspension seats, flat chassis (no step), pass through not crawl through = most of the mods we do already done.

No hub reduction, they do have a significantly smaller rear diff than the planet sized thing under the back of a canter/nps.
They gearing on them is awesome too, 3:1 low ratio with a 1.3:1 'splitter box' behind the six speed. 1st low low is like a tractor

Ianmac

Hi there

I can't believe my first post on this Forum is in the Japanese Heavy Truck thread.

We have bought an Iveco and it is currently getting modified by Expedition Vehicles Australia. We seriously considered an Isuzu but it was the 4WD capabilities that swayed us. I am realistic enough to realise that most people will not need such a capable vehicle but I would like to think being a forestry contractor and living in Bright we may need all the weapons it has.

I agree with others about the electronics and are convinced at some stage we will encounter problems. The only way I can see to deal with this is to buy a diagnostic tool and get schooled up on how to use it.

Our plan is to test the vehicle in Australia for a year or so and then possibly take it overseas.

Ian

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Ianmac and welcome to the forum. We appreciate your comment and look forward to hearing more from you.
Regards
Steve

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I guess for certain needs they're a better choice than a FUSO or Isuzu, but I really value a full forward cab position. The ride difference once you upgrade to either of the commonly available aftermarket suspensions (ATW or EC) is terrific. Granted I don't have many hours of seat time in either one. but the time I have spent in both have convinced me that the ride isn't bad at all.

As to electrical issues, I guess it all depends on what you're trying to do. One of the things that I learned on 'mogs, back when, is that it's sometimes easier to just do a separate electrical system just for the auxiliary stuff, rather than trying to tie it into an existing framework. That goes double for trying to tie into anything with a CAN-BUS system.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
That's why for me I'm staying with my 2000 model Canter. NO Computer, No Electronics. I can rebuild it to what I want and still work out cheaper than a new vehicle. Not saying that I don't like the new Iveco 4x4 - I've certainly had a good look and I like the vehicle in principle but too COMPUTERIZED for my liking. Salesman said that they are a problem waiting to happen. The extra gearing would be nice but then we may just fit a joey box in ours and end up with the same thing.

The ride difference once you upgrade to either of the commonly available aftermarket suspensions (ATW or EC) is terrific.

And for a lot less money you can have just as good a ride.

Dan.

bptp7270

Adventurer
I have had an FG84, replaced it with a Daily 4x4 and have since sold that. The Iveco was a far better vehicle to be in, without question. Smoother, faster, quieter and much better equipped from the factory. The electrics are no worse than any other new vehicle with can bus. But, after the $90k purchase, you need to spend at least another $20k fixing issues like the lack of brakes, overheating transfer case, unsuitable tyres, generally poor fit and finish etc. Also, Iveco are in denial about the issues with the vehicle and the Aus service staff have very poor knowledge of the vehicles. Great truck if you are prepared to spend some serious "extra"money on them. The FG84 rode like crap and was noisy on road, but it was Japanese, so excellent fit and finish.

Crankskee

Maybe 2016-2017 will be a better year for the Iveco. Upgrades and modifications due to customer feedback and review. Downside is any brand vehicle these days seem to jump up in price on average 5-10k/ year. Wish my wages did the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz